question about harddrive partition?

cold

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002
I bought a HP Pavilion 543x about 2 months ago and when I turned it on almost 10gigs of my 40gig harddrive were being used. Alot of extras were installed such as game previews as well as a 5gig partition that is said to be a backup of win xp home and the files that came originally on my computer at start-up, such as the game previews. I would like to know if it would harm my system if I deleted that partition? My brother just bought a brand new computer running the same op system windows xp home and had no partition what so ever. Do I really need that partition, because I would love to get that extra 5gigs freed up.

thanks for any advice and help you can give me.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Alot of extras were installed such as game previews as well as a 5gig partition that is said to be a backup of win xp home and the files that came originally on my computer at start-up, such as the game previews. I would like to know if it would harm my system if I deleted that partition?
It won't do any damage to your system. However, as you said, it contains backup of WinXP on 5G partition that might be needed if something goes wrong you can back it up.
You don't have to delete that partition, but you can delete <b>files</b> or <b>folders</b> that have <b>Game previews</b> or anything that you don't need (be sure to empty the <b>Recycle Bin</b> when you do this to make sure thet are completely out of your HD). If you want to regain all of space in this 5G partition, you can format it.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

andy655321

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2002
Did you get an ORIGINAL XP cd w/ your sytem? A lot of the time, w/ HP or Compaq they put a "restore" CD, which tells the computer to get the install info from the _Restore Partition. If you don't have the silver Windows XP CD, I wouldn't remove that partition. Could cause trouble in the future.

cold

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002
nope didnt come with xp restore disk, anyways I guess its there to stay. thanks for the advice.