Sign in with
Your question

Facebook not working on any computer!

Last response: in Windows 7
February 1, 2013 3:25:34 PM

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is in the right Category of the forum.
We have been having a problem the past month with our computers at work or network at work.
When we try www.facebook.com on any computer on any browser even if we are on a wireless device we get this error:

The connection was reset
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

We tried looking it up on google and try multiple things to try to fix it but no luck at all.

Can anyone help us with this problem?
And we need Facebook here because we have the companies page which we used to regularly update.

Thanks
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2013 3:33:25 PM

maybe your company blocking the site? talk to your IT dept.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2013 3:43:24 PM

^^ For sure the website is blocked by your IT dept. Talking to them will explain how and why.
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2013 3:45:46 PM

We had an issue not unlike that. Once you are able to log in to Facebook on your home computer:
1. Log into https://www.facebook.com
2. Go to Account Settings
3. Choose Security
4. Select Secure Browsing under Security Settings
5. Remove the checkmark from Secure Browsing
6. Save changes

Then you should be able to get to facebook on your work computer... unless its blocked as House70 said.
m
l
February 1, 2013 3:58:08 PM

rgd1101 said:
maybe your company blocking the site? talk to your IT dept.

We are sure that it's not blocked from IT department cause we control everything here.
The boss before used to block it from hosts file but that was removed and also checked it again.

New owners have no idea on IT and it was working and then just one day no access to Facebook anymore.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2013 5:15:03 PM

what kind of connection do you have? might need to restart whatever it is.
m
l
February 2, 2013 9:26:44 AM

rgd1101 said:
what kind of connection do you have? might need to restart whatever it is.

We are on ADSL connection, we switched of the modem and router and restarted them again but still had the same problem.
m
l
February 4, 2013 3:51:04 PM

Is there anything that we can do?
Like maybe scan the pc for network connections or I can give you network details and post them here so you can help us out please...
m
l
February 4, 2013 4:18:10 PM

Facebook's the only website not working? And for EVERY computer? I'm fairly certain that your IT department blocked it if that's the case. Whether it's in the DNS server or the router, it's blocked. Facebook is the most popular distraction at work so it's not hard to imagine that your managers are getting tired of production being squelched. And it's clearly a problem if you're making a big enough deal about it to turn to TH for troubleshooting advice...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2013 4:22:02 PM

Botnus said:
Facebook's the only website not working? And for EVERY computer? I'm fairly certain that your IT department blocked it if that's the case. Whether it's in the DNS server or the router, it's blocked. Facebook is the most popular distraction at work so it's not hard to imagine that your managers are getting tired of production being squelched. And it's clearly a problem if you're making a big enough deal about it to turn to TH for troubleshooting advice...

That's what I was thinking. New management got lenient a bit before, then decided to put an end to it. Even if they don't admit to it (or they told IT not to admit), pretty sure it's blocked.
m
l
February 5, 2013 8:02:11 AM

My new managers have told me too look into it and get Facebook working again and then we will put certain restrictions up on certain outlets.

The manager we had before used to block it from one of our servers and then he removed it before he left and everything was working normal but then we had one server that failed and we are not using it anymore and we had a problem with Facebook from that day...

Could it be that there was something on that server that because now it is not working Facebook got blocked??
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2013 4:21:08 PM

It is possible that after the server went down, a older "image" was restored on it, where FB was still on the blacklist.
If you really need it at work, why don't you address the issue directly with your IT? I am pretty sure they can fix it for you.
If your company doesn't have an IT dept/dude anymore, maybe your boss should consider hiring one, instead of relying on random online advice for tech support. It is really us shooting in the dark, without having any knowledge about the network configuration, servers setup, and so on. It can be a lot of things that go on there, we can't possibly diagnose them unless we have some sort of remote access setup.
m
l
March 22, 2013 3:59:29 AM

Problem was solved, thanks for the help
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 22, 2013 7:51:15 AM

aheadtech said:

How? What was the issue?
m
l
March 22, 2013 10:08:02 AM

What happened is because our Server failed there was some kind of encryption set up before in our CISCO router which the former boss of the company new about...

house70 said:
aheadtech said:

How? What was the issue?

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 23, 2013 4:58:31 AM

aheadtech said:
What happened is because our Server failed there was some kind of encryption set up before in our CISCO router which the former boss of the company new about...

house70 said:
aheadtech said:

How? What was the issue?

Sounds like I was on the right track. Glad it worked out.
m
l
May 8, 2013 5:44:54 AM

mko
m
l
!