AMD versus Intel CPU

Silmaril

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
First thing .... I bought an MSI .. MSI Gives 5 jr warranty.
Second I bougt an AMD ... AMD gives 2 jr Warranty... Third
I bougt an "name" cooller with also 5 jr warranty.
If my clips break within 5 jr I will complain by my dealer and then get a compleet new system. So what's the problem?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the problem is that as a dealer tell me why should I sell you a fragile POS cpu that I know you'll come back for a refund or RMA, I need return customers but not like this.

that's one reason many don't stock AMD, AMD customers(the majority) buy and overclock and burn the cpu, then come back and expect an exchange!

meanwhile, the seller is left holding a blatantly overclocked cpu that AMD will not take, even if it's boxed!

AMD is a problem and Tom Pabst has shown the truth, but I doubt that AMD will respond because all they care about is making them cheap and disposable.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Good point Sil. That's why most of the custom builders prefer to sell Athlon systems...Fast, inexpensive and good quality.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

Makaveli

Splendid
EveryOne is taking Tom's recent article overboard. That is a worst case situation! Don't be fooled by the pro intel users trying to convert you to intel. Everyone that I know with an AMD system has never had a problem like this! As long as your system is built by someone who knows what they are doing it will be fine. If you choose to fiddle around in your Tower, and are a novice user you deserve what you get. As for HSF becoming loose while being shipped, it would be best for anyone building an AMD system to get it checked before booting if your that worried about it.

I'm not pro AMD I am pro choice! I own both an AMD and Intel system. But I won't lets lamers on this forum make a decision for me! I have an MSI board in my System and find them quite good. There newest Bios has a system shutdown when the CPU reaches a certain temp.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The fault in your reasoning is the increase in AMD marketshare. How did it grow to almost 30% in less then 18 months? Someone must be buying them, and someone must be selling them. Not everyone sells them (Dell for instance), but enough have confidence in the product to have made such a dent in Intels marketshare.

Replacement chips for fried Athlons do not increase marketshare. They come from a small percentage of users who will try to overclock, who remove and replace the HSF on a weekly basis, while not really knowing what they are doing.

My Tbird is 10 months old, and runs 18 hrs a day 7 days a week. It has NEVER locked up. Never as in not once. I have never removed the HSF, and don't intend to (unless I decide to put in a 1.3ghz processor for under $100, in another month perhaps under $80).

But you are right that the AMD chips are fragile. They should have a stronger package (core) and should have effective thermal protection. However, if left alone after installation, they will run trouble free.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
I agree. My 1400 (although runs at 35-38degrees cesius) has also never given me ANY trouble. Has never locked (unless i do something REALLY, REALLY stupid) and always gives me gr8 performance (beats all my friends P4's, so i'm happy) and has nice price.

My mainboard shuts down the system once critical temperature has been reached, so i don't know what was going on during the test, but i do agree that AMD should look into the thermal protection when they step to 0.13micron.

"The answer to life's problems aren't at the bottom of a beer bottle, they're on TV."

Silmaril

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
If Compaq, IBM, HP and all the others giants sell AMD.
How can you name the pro fragile.
Another problem is...and I allready have seen more P3 or Celery pro's broken just because the cooler puts to much power on the pro's when you click them on it.

So if you bought an boxed version there is no problem.

But my dealer can't say "You burned the pro, So you have too pay for it". But some people who can't handle the pro's
will loose money when they get no refund for braking the pro.

I talk by experience ....cause I sell PC's in my spare time.

I sell for fun and upgrade for fun, allmost 30 pc's a year.

I did not have any broken clips for the last 8 years.

So If a customer want Intel ..he gets intel else AMD.
AND even with some really fanatic gamers and overclockers.

The test had too be done with faileres from the coolers.
Not taking them off but just stop the FAN and see what happens then.

I will say that your motherboard in time will stop the computer and no harm is done.

So if Tom wants to burn more pro's. Let him ship the pro's to me. I can use them in a better way. It's a shame that people have to bye Intel just because TOM is getting very HOT for overburns. Maybe it's his type of drug?????

Bye

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
No, not true, it's very easy to exchange hardware, at least here in Toronto, Canada. I have returned/exchanged a lot of hardware before and I always get what I want (eventually).

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Crashman, thats not true, if the system is as fast as a p4 and costs 500 less why NOT sell it. Of course cheaper systems sell faster, is something wrong with that?

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I was refering to the guys commnet concerning Quality-while AMD makes a quality product, quality is NOT a factor in custom builders decision to use it. The fact is that most custom builders do as most cheap OEM's do-use the cheapest parts availble. If you could buy a Cyrix 6x86L-PR1500, that's what they would use, because it would be the cheapest.

Back to you Tom...