Repost:Low Benchmarks and Lockups

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
sorry for posting in 2 forums, but im kinda desperate for answers or suggestions. im still having problems with my system. 6 months and counting.... i replaced my 300w pwr supply with a 400w and i still get lockups and cant run the fsb at anything over 124. i can bump up the multiplier to 12 and run it at 1488, but like i said, it wont even run the fsb at the speed it is supposed to. also, my 3d mark 2001 score is only 2900. is the low for my system? i have set my virtual mem to 400, added the line to sys.ini (or config, whichever one it is..., have no wallpaper etc.... i enabled fast writes, set everything at turbo... agp 4x etc... you name it. is my vid card the problem? here are my specs....

1.33 ayhja-y tbird 266 fsb
millenium glaciator solid copper hsf (pretty sweet btw)
aopen ak73 proa mobo (latest bios, via 4.31 4in1 drivers, sb patch, usb filter patch)
geforce 256 ddr w/32mb ram (tried new nvidia drivers and new leadtek drivers, both dx8 compliant)
antec case w/400w pwr supply
sb live platinum
30gb wd hdd
256mb corsair cas2 pc133 ram
win98se

anyone else have a similar setup? please no intel vs amd bashing, i am interested in my system, not a faceless corporation that doesnt give a sh!t about me.

...and i would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids...

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
yeah, guessing games can be quite entertaining i will agree. i have tried swapping out the ram and i have tried running system w/ only the vid card. does 2900 seem exceptionally low concidering that card? i think it runs at ~150/300.

G

I would say if you are basing your system performance solely off of 3DMark2001 then you might want to reconsider how you judge your system. If you want better scores in 3DMark 2001, replace that extinct (not really but on today's market it is) Geforce256DDR videocard and get a GeForce 3. Also install the latest detonator 4/XP drivers as well. Those two alone will give you a big increase in speed. If you cannot run your processor at the recommend speed it is either a heat issue or hardware issue. For the heat issue make sure your heatsink is on right and you are using decent thermal compound and you might want to add some case fans for increase airflow. For the hardware issue it is either your processor, motherboard or memory (at least that is my guess)so you might want to try the memory and/or processor in a friends system that is already running at 133 to see what happens or try a friends 133 Tbird in your system to test the motherboard. If something fails get it replaced. Also check for a bios update for the motherboard if you already haven't That is about it. Hope you can narrow it down. Oh btw I have a P4 2.0GHz (for the people that might think I have an AMD and want to start trolling) but I know how it feels if your system won't run right. Hopefully you will get it up and running.

Don't leave mad, JUST LEAVE!

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
oh, i dont really base my computer on the benchmarks but i just thought that seemed low. actually, i was reading some other posts and people have been getting int the 2500-2700 range with geforce2 cards, so maybe my old 256 is doin ok. i did install the det xp drivers. heat isnt an issue so i think i'll try some pc150 ram since its pretty cheap anyway. i do plan on upgrading the vid card at some point. i was just origionally concerned b/c the fsb wouldnt run over 124 (248) no matter what. maybe if i try agp 2x. anyway, i have both amd and intels so i just yell at myself all day.....

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
could be a northbridge problem...
is it running especially hot? (the bridge heatsink)

In memory of the 90+ Auzzies missing in the WTC disaster. An attack that has changed the world.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
no, actually i am quite suprised at how cool it is. the northbridge was fine and the temps are 24c system and 35c cpu immediately after 2+ hrs of serious sam game play. those mellinium glaciators are sweet. i bet its the ram... but youd think corsair would be decent stuff... it is pc133. anyway, ill get some new ram and if its still acting crazy, i think i have to look at my vid card. anyone agree?

G

C'mon guys, tdean is running at 124 FSB and has 133MHz rated RAMs. Its definately not the RAM. I use the same RAM (only 512MB instead of 256MB) at 140MHz + CAS2. No problems at all.

Your 2900 points are low if you ask me, considering your CPU. I have a Duron 600@800 + 512MB CAS2 133RAM + GeForce2GTS 32MB DDR, and I get 2792 3dMark2001 points. Your CPU runs almost at double frequency, even GeForce256 DDR should get higher scores.

Questions for you:

1) Did you check the online browser to see what scores other achieve with GeForce 256 DDR?

2) Same question with your processor but with different video cards?

3) Did you make a clean install? Did you install the latest VIA drivers (4.33 Beta I guess)? Make sure nothing runs on the background during the test. Defrag before running the test.

<font color=red>Apple</font color=red> <font color=blue>inside</font color=blue>, <font color=green>idiot</font color=green> <font color=purple>outside</font color=purple>...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmmms

ram CAN go bad... but usually when it does the reports are always of random crashes, rarely limited FSB.

one way to check for certain is to run asynchronously,
i.e. system bus set to 100, and your ram to 133.
what happens if you do that?

In memory of the 90+ Auzzies missing in the WTC disaster. An attack that has changed the world.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
3dmark2001 depends on the videocard more than anything else, his scores sound just perfect for his cpu/vid.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Yeah my sys:
1.0 Tbird @ 1.38
512MB CAS2 PC133 @138
Geforce2 MX 32MB AGP 200/200

My 3DMark2001 score is around 2500ish

So either I'm low or he's right in there..

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
well, i think i know what you are saying. i changed the jumper on the mobo to 100-124 and the system works perfectly. i even changed the fsb in bios from 100-124 and everything is fine. this is driving me nuts. im starting to think it might be the board..... i sure hope not, what a pain that would be.....

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
that computer is not connected to the internet. from what others are saying though, my scores sound decent. the install was clean and i have the latest via and detonator drivers. this is driving me nuts.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you try to increase your VCore voltage or if neccessary also I/O voltage? Running at 124MHz FSB causes your PCI and AGP's buses out of specs (41.3 and 82.7MHz respectively).
I'd try to run at 133 and increase it to at least 1.8V and 3.5V.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
interesting... i dont know about i/o voltage. i can bump up core, but how do i bump up i/o? where/what is that?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
ok, i bumped core v to 1.825 and got it to boot at 133 fsb. when i tried to load a game it locked up. then i decreased fsb to 130 and it again booted and i was able to start the game, but it locked up 2 min into it. would that indicate a problem with the agp bus? all other cards (sound and nic) work fine. what is i/o voltage and where do i set it?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
u can do 100 & 124?
i was stuck to the more typical 100 & 133.
least that worked for me.

and yes... im experiencing something similar...
or i was.
now its manifesting its way differently.
i cannot do a cold boot now. 3 times in a row it has locked up in the morning. but after each time, reboot and its fine.

im gonna get a kk266 shortly i belive. this a7v133 is really [-peep-] somehow

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
yeah, i can go from 100 to 127 now in the bios without problem. i cant get above that though. what is the major limiting factor with reguard to fsb? could it be the i/o voltage that was brought up? i dont know annything about that. possibly just too fast for my vid card?

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
This is a non-existant problem.

3D Mark 2001 is around 60%+ dependant on the video card. I have seen people with 1.4GHz Athlons, 256 DDR, and GeForce MX's running around 2100. That is nothing to worry about; your graphics card is the bottleneck. NOTHING is wrong, just the card is older and slower.

3D Mark 2001 overall is a poor benchmark. Use SiSoft Sandra to test total system preformance.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
do you think a faster vid card would solve my fsb issues as well? i can boot with fsb at 133 but the second i try to start a game it locks up. i thank all of you for your responses btw...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
so your saying that your system is perfectly stable now UNTIL you start a 3D application?

personally i dont think its worth the effort. demand a new mobo & graphics card. let it be someone elses problem.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

G

I think your vid card maybe faulty here. try pluggin the card into a different slot maybe the port is faulty. reseat the vid card if no joy try a different port still no joy try a new vid card.

I rolled a silk reefer plant, lit it and now I have no body hair from the neck up!

G

"Try plugging the card into a different slot maybe.."

I thought GeForce256DDR is an AGP card. Is there a PCI version? How do you change the AGP slot?

Regards,

<font color=red>Apple</font color=red> <font color=blue>inside</font color=blue>, <font color=green>idiot</font color=green> <font color=purple>outside</font color=purple>...

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
What is the position of jumper jp21 on your board? Is it in 12 or 23 position?

12 is 100fsb 23 is 133fsb

Its by your ram and ide controller.

Schmide

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
it is definately in the 133 position, i had an 850 tbird w/100mhz fsb prior to this. i switched it. i have the proa model... not the pro.