Sign in with
Your question

Hot CPU

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
September 18, 2001 10:05:15 PM

I don't know about the rest of you but if my CPU is getting hot I want it fried not slow or hanged. Since I'm using MS OS (98, 2k, ME) I am used to see my system slowing down or crashing from time to time. If my CPU will slow down when it gets hot I will not get it fixed right away because I will not know about it, I'll just assume that it's time to reinstall the OS or do some maintenance, problem will go on for a long time. If it's fried I'll go the next day to the dealer and get it fixed, problem solved, my PC is working properly again. So my advice is opposite to THG. If you have Intel CPU check it on a monthly basis to make sure you are getting what you paid for, If you have an AMD, skip it, when something will go wrong, you will know it.

More about : hot cpu

September 18, 2001 10:34:20 PM

If you folks really want I can write a simple application that pops up with a warning when the Pentium 4 throttling occurs. But it's not really required. The slowdown is usually so severe that you will definately know when it happens. I'd rather find out my system is slow and check on the temperature than have to fork out extra money to replace a burnt CPU. You should realize that OEM CPUs have no warranty from the CPU manufacturer. After your 30-day dealer warranty expires, you pay out of pocket to replace a fried OEM CPU.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
September 18, 2001 10:42:42 PM

Raystonn I posted this before, but seeing as you know some programming of sorts, I think I will ask you it.

What is the command in a shortcut creation that I can make to shutdown my system? I am thinking it will be a "rundll32 /x /x /x" type command.
Related resources
September 18, 2001 11:21:47 PM

To shutdown:

Create a shortcut to rundll32 that invokes it with the following parameters:

rundll32.exe user.exe,exitwindows

To restart:

Create a shortcut to rundll32 that invokes it with the following parameters:

rundll32.exe user.exe,exitwindowsexec

For the hardcore users:

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 0 (logoff)
rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 1 (shutdown)
rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 2 (reboot)
rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 4 (forceful shutdown)
rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 8 (power off)

Combinations thereof are also valid:

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 6 (means forceful shutdown and reboot)

Be careful when using the forceful shutdown option. Applications will lose any unsaved data due to the system shutting down before the applications are closed. This is useful if an application is not responding or if you absolutely must turn off the system immediately.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
September 18, 2001 11:28:48 PM

For some reason those commands fail to work under Windows 2000. I dunno why...
September 18, 2001 11:31:52 PM

They most likely require administrator privileges. Are you logged in as administrator? Have you given your current account administrator privileges?

-Raystonn

September 18, 2001 11:40:10 PM

Well, I do have a 3 years warranty for my PC so I'm covered. I guess that if the HS falls I will notice but what about the fan slowing down or stopping once in a while? I saw that happens more then once, but not with P4. I'm not sure that it will be that obvious. Anyway, thanks for letting me know that P4 throttling can be detected, I will use that when dealing with P4.
September 19, 2001 3:10:59 AM

my god! you are so brilliant! you are the one, Neo!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
!