lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Finally this issue gets the attention it deserves. This <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/index.html" target="_new">THG Heat article</A> tells it like it is. If you like AMD fine, just be careful not to let your HS come off.

I have been warning people about this for some time and all I ever got was a bunch of AMD heads telling me to shut up. Well now I will shut up because the issue has been givin the attention it deserves.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
are you psychotic?? I mean that is a one in 100,000 chance of occurance. That review wasn't very good. There are to many things that would never happen.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
And that's the way, hunh-uh hunh-uh, I like it!
And that's the way, hunh-uh hunh-uh, I like it!

Burn it down, baby!!!

Whoooo-hooooo!

<font color=blue>I hacked Msft, and all I got was this lousy source code.....</font color=blue>

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Wow Man! Thanks for the tip! I was just about to take my heatsink off while running a Quake3 Demo to see what would happen! I can't owe you enough! Seeing as how yur so smart, can you help me decide whether or not to do the following??

Should I stick a garden hose in the inside of my case so my Athlon will be watercooled?

Should I eat the green berries? The ones in my backyard next to all the animal carcasses?

Thanks for all your help, man!

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You AMD guys are such A$$HOLES. If the chances of needing heat protection are 1 in 100,000 then explain to me how out of 4 responses this thread has so far one of you (that I know of) has burned up your AMD CPU. I guess it should be very "obvious" to who I'm refering...<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new"> evidence</A>

I had a heat sink come off in shipping and didn't think to open the case on a brand new computer to check for this. Thank goodness it was on an Intel box so all it did was hang. So lets see out of a total of 5 people in this thread so far 2 have had the problem. I'm doing a little math in my head and coming up with 40% of the people in this thread have had a HS problem. This is a whole lot more than 1 in 100,000.

All I ask any of you crazy AMD heads to do is help newbies so they don't bake a nice new CPU.

G

Hey! I just took the heatsink off my Athlon and it stopped working??? Funny thing is, for .2 secs it still outperformed a Pentium rated at twice the clock speed!!!

What a crock...

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought the review was very good, testing the thermal protection schemes of each company under the <b>WORST</b> conditions possible.

True, it is highly unlikely that a HSF will fall off, and it is highly unlikely that a ball-bearing HSF will fail. But thermal protection is a long time feature of Intel chips, and has just been adopted by Palomino. A worst case test was done to see how well they perform. We all know the results, and even if the tests were not performed by THG, we all would have known what would have happened anyway. It is no secret that AMD chips will be destroyed if a HSF fails. While THG did not need to confirm this, it was interesting to see just how well the Intel protection works.

There could have been other tests, for example stopping the fan while leaving the heat sink attached. But even here, I feel (no evidence and won't risk frying my TBird) that the AMD chips will be destroyed over a short period of time (30 minutes, perhaps) should the fan fail and no other means of protection is available.

THG should have mentioned that fan failure protection is easily achieved by using Motherboard Monitor, which will have plenty of time to safely shutdown the system if the fan fails with the heat sink attached.

While I found the article (and video) interesting, it does not sway me from using AMD for my next upgrade as long as the price/performance is greater then Intel.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

Personally, I wouldn't mind paying extra $10-20 for thermal protection, and I'm sure there are lots of people that would agree with me on this subject. For people that have just started building their own computers, thermal protection would be an invaluable asset.

Another area where thermal protection would help greatly is in business and server areas dealing with mission critical data. It never hurts to have extra protection in these cases. Servers use raid or other means of back-up systems to increase their data protection. It could be enhanced by CPU's thermal protection feature, decreasing the likelyhood of the system failing.

I've been using AMD processors since the days of K6, and I've been very happy. However, that doesn't mean AMD processors are perfect. Adding useful features such as thermal protection may increase the cost a bit, but to many people, it's worth the cost.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I agree, I would gladly pay 10 bucks more ofr an amd cpu which had the same themral protection as a p4, but since my only other alternative is to pay 460 more for an equavelent P4 for thermal protection I will be sticking with amd as long as the price/performance divided by risk is with them.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Lakedude... the AMD heat issue has been well known since the beginning. Every time AMD released a processor that stomped an Intel equivalent, every single Intel troll would run to the one weakness of the Athlon - thermal protection.

They would say something like - "Well yeah... I paid 3 times as much as you did, my performance is 30% worse, and if I wanna upgrade my memory I have to upgrade more than one module, but at least my cpu is running a few degrees cooler! Ah hah hah!"

This is a "duh" article. Nobody is getting their eyes opened by this, and nobody would expect anything different from the outcome. P4 has thermal protection against catastrophic heatsink failure, the Athlon does not. This is more like an exasperation article from Dr. Pabst - he feels maybe an article like this will encourage AMD to work faster and harder on thermal protection. Do I agree that AMD needs to work on thermal protection? Yes... but that doesn't mean their one weakness counteracts all their strengths. I've built 7 Athlon systems for other people, and I have a Duron and a Tbird sitting here. The heatsinks have ranged from the retail POS that ships with the processors, to an old OCZ Monster II heatsink to a beautiful Swiftech. I have yet to chip or crack a core, and none of these systems have had heat problems.... even the overclocked ones. The guy who introduced me to AMD 9 or 10 months also builds computers for his friends/family - all AMD, and none have had heat problems. People I know at the LAN's I attend are fairly split between AMD and Intel, but all the AMD people I know don't have heat problems. I know only one person who has fried a tbird, and that was because he used some funky heatsink retension method that caused the heatsink not to lie perfectly flat on the processor. Fortunately he got it replaced, as it was under warranty, but burning the tbird was his own stupidity.

As far as a heatsink falling off... the only time I've EVER heard of a heatsink coming off was when one of my gaming clan buddies purchased a new 1ghz PIII system from some company. It was shipped to him by UPS, and lo and behold, the box was halfway shredded, and the computer within was filled with broken shards of silicon and transistors and whatnot. The Heatsink came off... and it took a large chunk of the motherboard with it - at which point it rolled around in the computer like a metal chunk of component death.

But rest assured... the moment my heatsink falls off and my processor dies, I will run screaming to this forum to tell you all about it.

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Lakedude, don't even waste your time with these AMD puppies, all they do, day in and day out is monitor their cpu temps, shut down-cool off, scratch their heads and chase their tails.

when evening comes and it's cool enough, they'll either play with the only AMD approved games like UT or Serious Sam.

most of these AMD Bitches are from Cananda(not dissing CND or Canadians) and winter is coming up, so go figure.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

FatBurger

Illustrious
Why do you suddenly have something against UT and Serious Sam?
Name one game I can't play on my Tbird system.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Dude, that article had no information that wasn't very well known.

If you want to spend $100's more for a comparable P4, then go ahead if thermal protection is that important to you.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
[-peep-]! LOL

When I burned my CPU did I take off my heatsink? LOL!!!!! I WASNT EVEN USING AIR COOLING YOU DUMBASS.

--
It's Princess Leia, the yodel of my life. Give me my sweater back or I'll play the guitar.

starwrs3

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
i have and athlon processor it really doesn't matter if it has built in heat protection cause alot of motherboards now have a feature to shutdown if temps get to high

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
GRIZ

Let me see... You burned up your CPU and then you were dumb enough to post the fact that you are a CPU roaster to the world... and I'm a "DUMBASS"??? It does not matter how you fried it, only that you DID fry it.

Let me tell you butt holes a story. My friend Robin asked me to go shopping for a new computer. She wanted one with a CD-RW and lots of colors. The only other thing she cared about was price. She has no idea what AMD or Intel even are. Well guess what, at my urging she bought a computer with an AMD CPU. You can be sure that we checked the HS fan for proper operation. I ain't got nothin against AMD and never have. What is you guys problem with the truth?

BTW the poster that burned up his CPU was not a one post wonder but one of our all time record holding uber-posters who for some unknown reason commands a lot of respect around here. I'll be damned if I can figure out why.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>Funny,I haven't looked at my CPU temp for about 2 months.

well, being a moron twice over, maybe you should look at your temps.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Makaveli

Hey you peter puffer watch your Fing language on my thread;-)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LAKEDUDE on 09/19/01 07:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>