SSD in a new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddy1765

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
So, I'm buying a laptop and an SSD for college sometime soon, and I was just wondering which steps to take, in order to install the SSD and OS succesfully?
I plan on buying the laptop, and before even turning it on, dropping in the SSD and then install Win7 as i turn it on the first time.
As I understand, it's important to enable AHCI(?) in the BIOS before installing any OS? Where exactly do I find the option in the BIOS?
In case it's relevant, I have my eye on the Toshiba Portege R835 and Intel 320 SSD..

I've found guides explaining how to turn off various features in the OS that would otherwise slow SSDs (defrag, hibernation, all sorts of stuff),
so I think I'm somewhat covered on that.

What I'd really like is a few steps, thoroughly explaining how to install the SSD and OS painlessly.
Oh, if this should have been posted in the SSD forum, sorry, wasn't quite sure where to put it :pt1cable:

Cheers :)

Solution

The BIOS is already there... It will be a great idea to download the drivers from the manufacturers website and have them ready on a CD as your USB ports may not work after the clean install without the appropriate drivers.

Also I forgot to mention that when your replacing the hard drive, not only do you need to power off BUT ALSO TAKE THE BATTERY OUT.

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"SATA AHCI Mode Bios Setting. What Does it do?:

http://www.techmetica.com/howto/sata-ahci-mode-bios-setting.-what-does-it-do/

The AHCH option is probably already turned on but it doesn't hurt to make sure first. Just go into the BIOS and look around.

If you don't mind all the little junk programs that come preinstalled with most laptops you can make the restore CD/DVD's with the factory installed HDD in the laptop, then turn the laptop off replace the HDD with the SSD and use the newly made restore disks to install the OS and all the programs that came with it (very simple).

A better option is to do a clean install. That will require that you have an OS disk AND all the manufacturer's drivers for the laptop (easily available on their website).

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The BIOS is already there... It will be a great idea to download the drivers from the manufacturers website and have them ready on a CD as your USB ports may not work after the clean install without the appropriate drivers.

Also I forgot to mention that when your replacing the hard drive, not only do you need to power off BUT ALSO TAKE THE BATTERY OUT.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.