RCPilot

Champion
I've read it before, but what is considered the "Best Case" & "Best Power Supply"
for a AMD 1.4 Gig & beyond??? I'm running a 1 Gig. rig in an armoire & I can feel
the heat rolling out the keyboard drawer.

1. Should I cut a large hole in the back of the armoire?

2. Should I get the best case & power supply to reduce heat. I have 3 case fans
installed already.

3. Whats the best power supply & case combo for cool & Quiet???

Thanks.

RC

How do you eat a elephant? One bite at a time!

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
1st: Try to OC a little.
If CPU temp doesn't go too much, you'r OK.

2nd:Did you say 'keyboard drawer'? If your rig is inside
your desk, put it out.

Basicly, if it works, keep it as it is.

Breaking news: Intel hit by a SledgeHammer! AMD to blame! More in just a moment...

FatBurger

Illustrious
The problem is, the heat has to go somewhere. The cooler your CPU/system is, the hotter everything else will be. Get some exhaust fans, and run the ducting out to wherever you want to dump it.

The best cool cases are the aluminum ones. The Lian-Li are the best designed, but the Cooler Master are supposed to be a little cooler. I'm planning on getting a Lian-Li sometime coming up.

For a power supply, get an Evermax with the dual fans. That should help you out a bit. You could probably even pop it open and put in higher CFM fans, but be very very careful inside of there if you do. And I accept no responsibility, yadda yadda yadda.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Why don't you just get a water cooled solution and put the radiatior outside. All you would need is a large pump and a lot of tubing. You can buy heavy duty tubing for about 73c/foot. The inside of my case is around 32~35c that's because of my 10k hdd though. And the radiator doesn't get that hot. <A HREF="http://www.cool-computers.com" target="_new">Here</A> is a link to a site with prebuilt watercoolers. Just buy some extra tubing and some extra wire. Wire the fan to the radiator outside of your case and then you won't have the heat problem.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

G

If your computer is in a small enclosed space that is bad.
I would suggest putting it somewhere on the floor near the armoire.

This might sound crazy but i run my webserver(P133 yeah!!) opencase.

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

RCPilot

Champion
Thanks Guys. Sorry It's been a bit since I've gotten back to this thread. Thanks for
the water solution, I'll defiantly check out the link.

FatBurger, I hadn't though of that. I could run a duct out to the hole that's already in
the back of the armoire, but then it would just blast on the wall behind. I think it's
only a couple of inches of clearance to the wall though. This power supply is a
cheepo 300w though & that's why it builds up so much heat in the armoire. The
good thing is the heat from the PSU doesn't get in the case. I can tell because where
the case fans exhaust, it's cool air, however where the PSU exhausts it's HOT. The
CPU is always in cool air supplied by the front case fan. I'm going to check out the
Aluminum case & power supply you mentioned.

Thanks much for the Info,

RC

How do you eat a elephant? One bite at a time!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
depending on the case, but many have very poor intake/exhaust vent designs.

i myself cut out my rear case fan hole completely.
end result, a fan that actually transfers heat to the outside, instead of recycling over half.
3-4C lower mobo temps, 2-3C lower Cpu temps.

space at the back of my case is only 2-3 inches, tops. its enough for the air to circulate though.

as for PSU's, possibly the best around are the enermax brand.
im looking to get one too.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.