problem pulling ip address

keith

we just. rec'd a computer from our son it 's running
winXP. we are trying to hook up to the internet through
our cable modem and a hub but i am unable to get a pood
ip address from either hub or directly to the modem. Ive
tried ipconfig release and renew, tried setting static
ips, also powered down modem the turning off computer
then turning on modem then computer to no avail. we do
not have the xp disk and the next step that i can think
of would be to r/r tcp/ip can this be done with out the
disk? Any other help would also be appreciated Thank you

1) This is the wrong newsgroup for questions like this. Try a Windows XP
networking group instead.

2) Hubs and switches don't give out IP addresses. IP addresses only come
from the cable modem itself, from a router if you have it set up to do DHCP
or some the PC itself if you want to use a static IP (which will not work if
you're not using a router. Your PC would need a public IP address.)

3) Yes, you can r/r TCP/IP in WIndows XP without the CD, but I'd be hesitant
to do this without more information. The fact that you found this newsgroup
and know what removing and re-installing TCP\IP is leads me to think that
you're fairly knowledgeable, however I think you should look at your
situation more carefully before proceeding with the r/r.

4) Perhaps you should call your cable Internet provider's tech support?

Cheers!

Jim