Abit KT7A-RAID Fried My t-bird

G

Hello i would Just lek to ask if anyone else has experienced this problem

i recently bought a KT7A-RAID mobo and a 1.2ghz T-bird but i have found that the mobo outputs higher voltages then what it is set too for both I/O and CPU Core

for example if i set the CPU voltage to 1.75V (the default voltage for my CPU) the BIOS, MBM5 and Via Hardware Monitor all display the core Voltage at 1.86V that seems WAY! out of spec. my athlon has always run hot (as athlons have a tendency to do but today it died!.

under bios i watched in horror as the CPU temp climbed over 70 degrees celcious and i smelt burning the screen went dead and i now have a wonderful keychain...f**k

i just want to know if anyone has had this problem with this or any otehr board also if anyone knows if this sort of thing is covered by warrenty (i dont see y i should have to pay for a new CPU when i did nothing too it)

and for those of you out there who assume i was OCing i wasent ... the watercooler isnt done yet!

please lemmie know how otehrs have dealt with this problem thanks

The_dwarf
metaldwarf@hotmail.com

1.2ghz T-bird Melted by my faulty Abit Kt7A-RAID

i am not a happy camper

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Return it to the shop where it was purchased. In turn they will return it to AMD. I find myself wondering what AMD's rate of return is as a percentage of total processor sales. Surely it affects their bottom line.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

once i saw it hit 70 i did pull the plug but it ws too late i smelt smoke

i am not a happy camper

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
And the lemmings think that HSF failure doesnt happen or the HSF has to "fall off" in order for a AMD CPU to cook itself.

Raystonn, Im sure the RMA rate is pretty high.

G

I don't know about the rest here but i kill my machine if it goes over 55. It's just dangerous to wait that long. As for the Voltage settings, i have never seen that before, my kt7 runs at the exact setting its set to.

In any case this is bad, i'd suggest flashing your bios to a new version as soon as possible.

Btw, were you using a stock heatsink?

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

G

Yep mine is set to shutdown at 52C in MBM5, which is about 5c over the hottest it has ever run at it's present speed. It takes MBM5/shutdown now about 35 seconds to shut it down and I'm trying to lessen this time. I figure it will take a fair bit longer than 35 seconds to get to critical temperatures. This all depends on the material incorporated into the heat sink of course.
Bios shutdown is set to 60C and I don't know how effective it is in shutting down either, might try the pull wire test on the fan with the other hand on the power switch!

Currently fiddling with the program called CPUcool, it has throttle down setings for CPU speed, FSB, shutdown, and other settings.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue>. :wink:

G

i was running in bios 100% CPU useage and it took a mere 3 seconds to fry itself by the time i saw the number jump above 60 i when to pull teh pug but i was too late
its a volcanoeII HSF it was contacting the CPU properly i checked i just didnt have time to pull teh plug before it died

anyone else witha kt7a have weird voltages?

i am not a happy camper

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
The voltage problem you talk about is actually fairly common. I've got it (with an Iwill KK266-R) and my friend has it with the Abit KG7 (he fried his 1.4GHz, but his fan wasn't working). Are you sure your fan was running when your proc fried? BTW, to make your proc into a keychain, there are good instructions at Bunker Mentality about how to do that. (They use a butane torch, but a soldering iron works good, too).

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

G

i have called and bitched at Abit today i got the cold sholder at first getting passed from tech support to RMA to tech support to an hour on hold to only be disconnected.

this began to try on my patience adn i whent into bitch mode!

i called them back and when they asked to put me on hold i said no, when they told me they didnt sell CPUs i said i didnt care i whent all out. i think the line that got them was this
" i bought this product becuase abit was supposed to be the best, most reliable , stable product out there now why did i jst pay 300 hard earned dollars for a product that derstroys my hardware!?!"

this got me put throught to some (supposedly) high ranking person at abit (away from teh broken english of the tech support ppl in taiwan) i now am connected to "Jarremy" he has been very helpful and i would liek to tthank him at this point i have been somewhat prommised a new KG7-RAID and i believe the deal is if i send them teh reciet for my t-bird they will purchase me a CPU equivalent to it $248 for a 1.2ghz up here in canada (the canadain paso and all that)

so if anyone from abit reads this i would liek to thank them for this generous offer however it wold have been nice not to have had to deal with an hour of hold time only to be disconnected

Dwarf

BTW: add some hold music or something too dead silence is damn annoying...then again those stupid "please wait on the line we will be right with you" messages that are repeated every 8 seconds are annoyign ass hell too

i am not a happy camper