Celeron has heat protection.

G

Hi!..

Just FYI, I downloaded Intel's Celeron "II" (FC-PGA) specs, and they have a 'THERMTRIP#' pin just like the P-III.

In other words, would CPU cooling ever by insufficient for my Celeron II 66/633 @ 100/950 MHz, it will lock up but not damage the hardware.

Now I can feel a little more comfortable with my OC config. Just too bad C II's won't let you do dual CPU... (or is it possible?)

- Kybernetos.

Black holes are, where God is dividing by zero.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Celeron II's ARE PIII's. They take the PIII's with defective cache and disable the defective side by "blowing" connections with high electrical current. Then they apply the multiplier locks and the tag.

Back to you Tom...

FatBurger

Illustrious
Hey Crash, I've heard the same sort of thing regarding Durons and Tbirds, but I know that's not true because the die size is different.
What's the difference in the process?

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All Coppermines do indeed come off the same line. Including PIII's and Celerons. If they won't run within heat tolerance, they are set at a lower clock. The cache is the most defect-prone part of the chip, if one side is bad, it is disabled. Everything that makes the difference between a Celeron 566 and a PIII 1000 happens during the final testing process, where certain circuits are blown to make the bus speed and voltage differences. You can understand that part if you look at the white papers. I don't know how the multiplier is set though. If I did I might be able to change it.

Back to you Tom...