Who is silly enough to remove the heatsink and fan

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
What silly is, is what silly does. Who would be silly enough to admitt such a silly act after all this silliness?

That is with the PC power on, while playing a game.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you ppl are like little kids lacking in comprehension skills! sure, nobody in their right mind would take a hsf of a cpu while running "thank you captain obvious!"

you are missing the big picture:

there are areas like CA-USA which have many earthquakes per year, can you imagine an office worker who uprights a fallen tower with an AMD cpu inside? lets face it, chances are that a 50yr old office worker is NOT a hardware enthusiast(like the 1% who think you are) and is NOT going to open the case.

I think you folks need to re-read the article, THG did a test to see whether or not a cpu would survive a "nightmare scenario" and AMD fails, you ppl are pissed because the truth was finally brought out in the open.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
We all already knew that. So the "truth" was always out in the open. I'm sure that after an earthquake that the company will have the techs check their equipment before powering it back on.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually you would not believe the number of systems I recieve from ups that have the hsf dislodged somehow. After the first fried one, I dismantle every pc I recieve to make sure everything is in it's proper place (voiding the warranty of course).

When I go into a computer store I lose all means of reason for some reason.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
If you call tech support and tell them that the case is rattling then they will let you break the seal without voiding the warranty. Most don't even check to see if the seal is broken anyways.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
too true... quite depressing, i wonder what prompted him to destroy them... how much intel paid him

if in doubt blame microsoft...

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
maybe they said they would give him a free 2Ghz p4 if he fried the athlon and the Mp sounds like a fair trade. You're getting a p4 for around $300 instead of close to $600.

jmcpherson

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2001
though it is highly unlikely that anyone would actually REMOVE the HSF on purpose as shown in Tom's tests, there is something to be said for how different processors handle heat...

though i am a happy AMD-owner/supporter, i must say that their thermal protection is pathetic... the fan on my CPU suddenly died on me on one of my home-built systems, and within one minute the heat-sink became so hot that the fan actually melted into the heat-sink.... luckily the system just froze a few times and no damange was done to the CPU before i figured out what was happening.

so despite the "sillyness" of the test, it does have some real-world ramifications... (and more importantly, the video is just fun to watch :)

whats a signature?

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
ROFLMAO

Now your clinging to the fact that "in an earthquate the heatsink might fall off and then the person wouldnt know and their chip would fry" LOL!!

YEah!... well, if a meteor hit the earth it might hit the nuclear waste station and the plutonium might be drawn to the intel cpus and then people who use intel would be mutants!

--
It's Princess Leia, the yodel of my life. Give me my sweater back or I'll play the guitar.

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Jeez man, you just convinced me! I'm turning in my parents P3 850 for something a little more safer! I don't think I want to turn my parents into mutants! Wait a minute....

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
YEah, you better be careful... That nuclear radiation can be pretty nasty.

--
It's Princess Leia, the yodel of my life. Give me my sweater back or I'll play the guitar.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think it is standard practice for UPS to open about 1 out of every 10 systems it ships and remove the heatsink, then tape it up. At least it seems that way when you talk to all the guys who get them that way!

Back to you Tom...

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
<b><font color=red>"you ppl are like little kids lacking in comprehension skills!"</b></font color=red>

"BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! this is what I live for!"

"self proclaimed moron"

"burn baby, burn. AMD cpus are fragile pos,"

"most of these AMD Bitches are from Cananda(not dissing CND or Canadians) and winter is coming up, so go figure."

"what has Canada done for the USA, lately? besides letting the terrorist in, you c*cksucker! LOL!"

""AMD/VIA!...you are still the weakest link, good bye!""

How do little kids act?...immature, insulting, insolent, rude, pugnacious, or inflammatory? Who started all this childishness ("BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! this is what I live for!")?

Questions: With the knowledge you have, how are you using it? to get understanding? to get wisdom? or to just be proud of yourself?

Debating a cause is intelligible, but belittling another with ones own knowledge is the act of a selfish ignoramus.

You are not being blatantly attacked because you love Intel, but the bitter criticism you dish out to those who own AMD products is way over the top (rude). Maybe, you take this attitude because someone cast the first stone and you took it personal.

Well, comprehend this, I really respect your opinion when you are sincere, believe it or not. However, you are robbing yourself of intelligence and respect everytime you succumb to provocation and display retalitory pugnacious behavior.

There is no harm in have some harmless rivalry, don't discedit yourself among us in this community. This isn't a chat room, but a forum of intelligent people globally who come here to help and be helped.

Let Intel & AMD battle it out, they have our money already. We are the end users, the consumer who have a need to know when a product is substandard. Neither Intel or AMD have a perfect product. So, it is in our best interest to stand together even though we may disagree, in order to be in the know. But, if we remain self-centered and closed minded we will never learn nothing, and Intel & AMD will become richer. So my friend can we call a truce to this abuse?

Even though this test that Tom did was to the extreme, I can say that I truly did learned something. Also, I know that nobody will ever be silly enough to do likewise, and I mean NOBODY!

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
Actually, unless smoke was pouring from a PC, or someones drink was dripping out of it, NOBODY is going to open it up and check it. In Fact, Tech support won't even look to see if the power light comes on, that would be an individuals job to power it on and see what happens. Mainframes and mid-range computers (and possibly server farms) are a different story. If they physically fall over, vendor support techs will be called to right them and check them out, otherwise, without physical displacement, operations staff will check diagnostic programs and logs to determine the health of the machine, and will only open up panels if those diagnostics indicate a problem.

John in California.

BTW. Those of us born and raised here are far more terrified of tornados than earthquakes, go figure.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I would never run any modern CPU without a heatsink but I once tested by turning off the CPU fan. I had no idea how long it would take for the CPU temperature to reach critical levels.

I clocked my Duron at 800mhz (down from 1007mhz) just in case temps increased very rapidly. I brought the system to full operating temperature, disconnected the CPU fan, and checked the temps with Motherboard Monitor. No other applications were running, just Windows. My temps went from 39 degrees to 80 in only four minutes and that was with the case open.

I originally intended to bring my Duron up to the full 1007mhz and repeat the test but I didn't want to risk it.

I did some expermenting with installing a backup fan (which was just a case fan standing up on the back side of my video card). With the case closed this managed to hold my Duron (still at 800mhz) to 60 degrees C.

I never took it any further than this because I couldn't figure out good way to permanently mount the backup fan. Besides, I didn't think it would work with anything hotter than a 800mhz Duron.

I suppose it would be possible make some sort of duct from the rear case fan directed toward the CPU. That fan would have to be very powerful, indeed, to save the CPU in the advent of primary fan failure. Maybe, a thermally controlled fan would work if you applied the sensor near the CPU core or the underside of the heatsink.

Without a backup fan, I really can't imagine an Athlon 1.4 surviving much more than few minutes should the primary fan fail. Keep in mind I am using a heatsink that isn't designed for anything beyond 1.0ghz. The bigger and better HSFs needed for 1.4ghz would buy some more time.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
I guess it's a good thing that the thermal protection in the Palomino should handle this OK by shutting the system down rather than allowing it to get too hot. Think of it like this..the Athlon likes to be well dressed ;)

Mark-

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

G

I dunno but dont most mobos come with a shut down temp, mine does! actally both do and i wont by a board if the bios dont support it, just common sense.

~ Little0831