Crash Test Dummy Benchmark

G

While testing CPU's with the heatsink off yields valuable scientific information, dare I say, almost as important as Quake III benchmarks or "internet content", it fails to address a more common problem with CPU's:

What happens when you have a few cocktails and hammer a CPU hard as you can with a 10 pound sledge?

This is exactly what we decided to determine in our lab. Here are the results:

1. Pentium III: failed to boot.
2. PeeFour: failed to boot.
3. Athlon C: failed to boot.
4. Athlon XP: almost booted but we couldn't find one of the pieces.

These results clearly indicate that neither Intel or AMD rises to the challenge of providing a reliable product.

Hope this helps, Jim.

Yippie no more Via <font color=blue>crap</font color=blue> come October.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Jim,

Thanks for the valuable post. Have you tried this test on Cyrix processors? I'm interested to see how they hold up.

Also, what about video cards? My TNT2 wouldn't work right after I accidentally dropped it in the garbage disposal. Are there any cards that would hold up under that kind of treatment? I know that that happens all the time.

Thanks,

Fat Burger

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

Jusphil

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
neither Maxtor or IBM or seagate Hard drives run quietly after dragging them behind my truck at 65MPH. the fuji aluminum was worn away too much to test booting

G

I have this old Z80 with a weird pin configuration. There are none!! It's just flat on the bottom with copper stripe leads going to the outer edge of the flat chip.

Without the possibility of damage to the pins i bet it could take quite a few hits!! (Although not from a 10 pound sledge).

Maybe i should try it....?

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
When are you going to post those oatmeal in the socket results, I am eagerly anticipating them.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

G

I have an old P75mhz and I dropped the chip out of my upstairs window. The poor thing landed on the pateo below and amazingly still worked. Though it did seem to run a bit slower and I got a lot of ill ops. Then I put a new hdd and cd drive in and it blew my bios chip - now I don't have a computer I have to use my works one. I havn't had a computer for over a year now. Never had enough money to buy a new one. But here are the specs of the one I want. Tell me if you lot know of any probs with this.

Duron 700 (for overclockability purposes)
Asus A7V mobo
Ati Rage Fury Max
Soundblaster live
128mb ram
Any 56k modem
I already have keyboard mouse and 15" monitor.
I want a system that will allow me to plug in my mixer (i'm a part time dj) to the sound card - record samples and tracks and then burn them to cd. Any ideas I already have some software called mixman but any other sound editing software you guys know about - ie fruity loops is supposed to be fairly good. also gonna get a plextor burner and some dvd drive. the sound card requires an input and outlput to an amplifier.

Thanks in advance.

The Tech

I rolled a silk reefer plant, lit it and now I have no body hair from the neck up!

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Well, I know for a fact that a Pentium I and Banshee graphics card handled a cow crapping on it quite well, after they had been cleaned, however... maybe I should test how well different processors and graphics card stand to being crapped on. I mean, I did live inthe country, and all sorts of whacky things happen in the sticks.

Any volunteer cows please reply.