Exporting Pics to a PC?

a b } Memory
March 16, 2005 12:35:21 AM

Do you guys know if there's a program out there that will read both the Palm
memory and SD memory's contents to allow exporting of pics from my Zire 72s
to my PC? I don't want to buy a card reader if I don't have to. Thanks...

Monks

More about : exporting pics

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 16, 2005 2:09:02 AM

"Monks"

Check out www.splashdata.com, and go to Splash Photo.
There is a trial download, but after the period you'll need to register, and
(in my opinion) it's worth the reg fee.

You an upload, and download to and from your Palm and to/from the MMC/SD
card that may be resident.

Trust this helps.

Cheers

PS/

I use the Splash Data suite on my Tungsten T, and T3, but I "believe" it
should work on your 72, but obviously check.

"Monks" <blah@blah.net> wrote in message
> Do you guys know if there's a program out there that will read both the
Palm
> memory and SD memory's contents to allow exporting of pics from my Zire
72s
> to my PC? I don't want to buy a card reader if I don't have to. Thanks...
>
> Monks

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 16, 2005 9:15:02 AM

You should look into CardExport II
(http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/) and Palm File Browser
(http://mytreo.net/mytreo/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_o...),
both of which allow you to mount the expansion card as a drive on your
PC. Put another way, it can turn your Palm (with the cradle or a
cable) into a SD card reader.

I'll copy my review of these programs from
http://sam.lipoff.org/palmpilot/software.html below as well:

---------------
CardExport II is an incredibly useful piece of software that lets you
mount the SD card in a Palm as an external drive on a computer when the
Palm is connected to the computer by the cradle or an external cable.
This is a much faster way to transfer files onto your SD card than
using the Palm Desktop Install Tool, and it also allows you to use your
Palm Pilot as an external SD card drive (useful if you have a digital
camera that uses an SD card) or as a portable USB drive. Palm File
Browser by Mathias Lüdtke fulfills a similar function to CardExport
II-enabling you to mount your SD card on your PC. It has two main
advantages: it also allows you to access files on the Palm's internal
memory as well, and it's free. It's main disadvantage is that it
requires you to install a program on a host PC. So it might be fine for
some people, but if you really want to use your Palm as a portable USB
key (perhaps in concert with a compact USB cable like BoxWave's
miniSync), you'll want CardExport II.
---------------
a b } Memory
March 16, 2005 8:25:32 PM

"Sam Lipoff" <lipoff@gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Monks
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 17, 2005 12:47:05 PM

If you have GMail from Google, they give you free, four programs. One of the
programs is called "Picasa 2".
If you have your palm connected to the main computer, this program downloads
your pictures. You then can crop etc your pictures.

"Monks" <blah@blah.net> wrote in message
> Do you guys know if there's a program out there that will read both the
> Palm
> memory and SD memory's contents to allow exporting of pics from my Zire
> 72s
> to my PC? I don't want to buy a card reader if I don't have to. Thanks...
>
> Monks

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 17, 2005 1:57:52 PM

This not is not quite correct in a number of ways:

Picasa has nothing directly to do with Gmail. You can download it
alone from http://www.picasa.com/ Other Google owned/produced
software, including Picasa, can be found at
http://www.google.com/downloads/

Picasa (along with many other programs) can import pictures from a
digital camera (or other mass storage device) attached to your computer
through the USB port. It may be that some of the Palm Pilots with
integrated cameras can be recognized as USB mass storage devices, or
support PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) although I don't know of any
off the top of my head which do. Most digital cameras support one or
both of these protocols. If you happen to have a digital camera which
does, and also uses SD cards for its media, you can use it to transfer
files from your SD card to your computer.

The two software packages I mentioned above, CardExport II and Palm
File Browser, allow you to mount the SD card in the Palm's expansion
slot, using the USB Mass Storage device protocol, from which you can
copy images (or other files) to your computer using the Windows
Explorer, or a third-party program like Picasa which automates copying
files from the /DCIM directory on an expansion card to a specific
folder on your PC.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 18, 2005 12:16:07 PM

According to Sam Lipoff <lipoff@gmail.com>:
> You should look into CardExport II
> (http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/) and Palm File Browser
> (http://mytreo.net/mytreo/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_o...),
> both of which allow you to mount the expansion card as a drive on your
> PC. Put another way, it can turn your Palm (with the cradle or a
> cable) into a SD card reader.

Thanks for those links.

I have a new Zire 31, and I use Linux - ruling out Palm_File_Browser.

Is there a way I can use ZBoxZ or something to get pictures and music
on/off the Palm ?

Cheers, Andy!
!