Sign in with
Your question

req: upgrade suggestions

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2001 3:54:20 PM

I have a system built a few years old that I used primarily for gaming with the following specs:

Asus P2B 440BX mb
128 MB PC100 SDRAM
Celeron 300A overclocked to 450
Dual Voodoo2 cards

I am thinking of trying to upgrade the CPU and video card if possible, just to get the system up to mid-level performance, but I don’t really want to spend more than a few hundred dollars, and since I haven’t been keeping up with hardware developments in awhile, I’m confused about my options – for instance can I get this motherboard to support PIIIs? I did see Tom’s article from March 19 on upgrading to PIIIs, but I’m wondering if anyone knows if my specific board allows for such an upgrade, or if anyone has suggestions for any other affordable upgrade scenario. Thanks in advance.
a c 159 à CPUs
September 19, 2001 11:21:42 PM

The ECS K7S5A with athlon 1.4 was $168 last time I checked, and you can even use your old sdram with it. But for about $20 more, I would get rid of the pc100 and go with 128 megs of ddram. Total cost of upgrade will be less than $200, much less than a pentium III upgrade. The only drawback is you may have to get a new power supply. But the 300 watt start at about $25 plus shipping. Stick with one of AMD's recommended power supplies. Check their website. It only takes a few minutes to change it.
September 20, 2001 12:23:43 AM

I do not have knowledge about your MB but I too started with a BX board and a cel 300a. I have an Aopen ax6b and even though the MB does not claim to support faster CPUs I had no trouble going to a cel 600e with the purchase of a slot 1 adapter. My MB had no trouble supporting the lower voltages needed by the 600. I plan to upgrade again to 1G or more soon. You might just need to go for it and try it yourself. Oh yeah, I also needed a bios upgrade.

As cheap as that AMD stuff is it may be a decent option to go that way too...just make sure you have a good HS+fan.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 23, 2001 8:45:43 PM

you could get a Slot-1 P-III 700 MHz, or a socket370 P-III 700 on a Asus slotket. it will save a lot of money and effort since you wont need to change the board.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
September 24, 2001 1:53:02 AM

Upgrading mobo and duron would probably come in around the same as the slotket/p3 route and perform better. Up to him though.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
!