Video editing: Dual MP's vs. P4

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hi,
I friend of mine needs the best possible video editing system (he will ONLY use Adobe Premiere 6.0 on this system- absolutely no other software), so I was wondering, which is better- Dual 1.2 Ghz Mp's (1.4 by teh time he gets it), or a P4 dualie system? He can wait, so he won't mind waiting for the Hammer CPU's. Do u think it's worth waiting? Also, which would be better if Hammer wasn't an option. Note that he'll get 512 RDRAM w/ the P4, or 1024DDR w/ the MP.

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac

FatBurger

Illustrious
If it was a single P4 or single AMD, I'd say P4. But there's no way a single P4 can beat dual AMDs.

I wouldn't recommend waiting for the Hammer. It's still a ways off. Unless he wants to wait a year or more...

The only Athlon MP boards out currently are made by Tyan. They have one each from their Thunder and Tiger series. Look at the difference, and decide which one would be best.

For a P4 motherboard, I'd recommend the Abit TH7-II.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Have your friend check out the Matrox RT2500. Without a doubt, this it the card to have for video professionals at an affordable price. Any Geforce3 or ATI with video is just a tinker toy in comparison to this card. Not to mention you can combine it with a GeForce3 or Radian for display. Just read Tom’s articles on this card.

<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/01q3/010730/" target="_new">RT2500</A>

Schmide

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Hmmm...I believe the only P4 dually available is the P4 Xeon--which costs way too much and gets beaten way too badly by dual AthlonMPs. It might win for Adobe Premiere (I don't remember seeing Premiere benchmarks anywhere), but I doubt it.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

FatBurger

Illustrious
Of course it's also over $800. Why did we start talking about video cards? I thought I was stretching it when I mentioned motherboards.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Oh no, he'll need a goo vid card also. He doesn't care about price at all. So Dual P4 may not be as good as Dual MP at say 1.4 Ghz? Also, Which vid cards are better than the Matrox RT2500. Is there a way to use teh vid card for video editing specially in order to have real time encoding and all?

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Price is not an issue? Well then... I recommend one of these platforms:

1) a Pentium 4 2.0A (Northwood) or Pentium 4 2.2GHz (Northwood) coupled with PC1066 RDRAM. These processors are also known as Northwood. These components will probably be out before the end of this year.

-or-

2) Two Xeon (Prestonia) 2.2GHz processors coupled with i860 chipset motherboard. These components should be available in Q1 of next year.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

FatBurger

Illustrious
I friend of mine needs the best possible video editing system

You're right, my bad.
Rayston, how about a nice system with 6 Xeons? I've got one of those here at work, a very expensive Dell.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dude I've got an ATI Radeon AIW and it is just a toy. I like it and it is fun to play with but it does not capture anywhere near good enough for even semi-pro apps. I'm pretty sure the CPU is not the bottle neck during capture. All the fast CPUs are gonna do for you is speed up off line editing. The vid/capture card is the heart of the system.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lakedude on 09/20/01 10:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
If you would like to wait for the i870 chipset, for which I have no data regarding ETA, then you can run 16 Xeon or Itanium processors on a single motherboard. However, as I have no ETA on this, I would not recommend waiting around. If money is truly not an issue, you can always upgrade later.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think Firewire works around 400mb's right. Well doesnt PCI work at 133mbs and 4x AGP work at 1gbs. Wont the Firewire on the radeon transfer faster due to no bootleneck. Im waiting for the reviews to prove my idea right.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Firewire works at around 400Mbits (not bytes)--which equals 50MBytes/sec bandwidth. PCI starts at 133MB/sec (32-bit, 33MHz) and maxes at 533MB/sec (64-bit, 66MHz). Not 100% sure about AGP, but I believe it's 1GB/sec for AGP4x.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
A firewire card will cost you 40bucks. The RT2500 cost you 899 but comes with Premiere. It’s not a video card per say, more of a TV card on steroids. They used to bundle it with the G400 special edition but it should be compatible with any video card. It’s a real time effects and mpeg2 encoding system compatible with Adobe Premiere. It has quality ins and outs that will put any common 3d cards components to shame (Pinnacle Systems Excluded as there not that common). The thing looks like a freakin motherboard.

Schmide

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Oh yeah, when I said price isn't an issue, I meant not to give me the cheap sh*t, but not these crazy 6 processor systems. He is looking at a max. of $5000 (slightly more if necessary).

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I’m no expert. I never really got into the DV thing. I just read Tom’s guide religiously. Certainly he is a trustworthy source. Some of the scuttlebutt that flies around these forums can pass for advice but a lot of it is just butt. I would check out Toms DV articles. He has a whole section devoted to building video systems. Certainly, from what I’ve read, the P4 has some definite advantages in terms of multi-media streaming. Just check out the <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010919/tualatin512-12.html " target="_new">FlaskMPEG</A> compression benchmarks. Then again the AthlonMP has SSE and I remember it taking many of the benchmarks at <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1483" target="_new">anandtech</A>.

Other related links
<A HREF="http://www.pinnaclesys.com/docloader.asp?templ=10&doclink=/webvideo/proone/doc/ProONE_Details.html&product_id=471#efficiency" target="_new">Pinnacle Systems Pro One</A>

<A HREF="http://www.matrox.com/videoweb/products/enduser/rt.htm" target="_new">RT2500</A>

Schmide

A broken link is my way of teaching self reliance

G

The Radeon 8500DV would be rediculous in a video editing system. You need a real editing card, not a video card, they're two separate things. I used to work in a tv studio and we used a pinnacle dv500 and it worked pretty well. It didn't do the final output in realtime, although I don't think any reasonably priced cards do, but I'm not sure about that at all. I know you guys will bite my head off for this, but has he looked into getting a mac? Final Cut Pro for the mac is supposed to produce professional quality output and with a $5000 budget, the slightly higher price of a g4 or dual g4 should be no problem for him. The dv 500 I used had good output probably similar to the matrox rt2500, but final cut pro is supposed to be much better.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Dual athlon would come in slightly less than a p4 and mobo. I say go for the dualie, or better yet get a single 1.4ghz tbird and a nice raid setup for the best price/performance.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
for people that think the rt2500 is a graphics adapter, please do some reading. yes there are some boards, AIW, but if you're serious/professional, you'll want a dedicated capture board. the rt2500 in my mind and quite a lot of people i know is crap and frankly i have always thought matrox as a company that makes dualhead cards for people that want to run msword and powerpoint at the same time. firewire is firewire, but what MAKES the difference when capturing dv is the codec. matrox's "c-cube" dv codec sucks, microsoftdv codec is probably about as good and that isn't all that great either. if you're talking about mid-range/entry level, i'd look at canopus, they have the best boards around right now for the price as well and the best codec as far as dv is concerned. the dvraptorRT and dvstorm are their main boards. if you want to get higher up, i'd look at pinnacle sys's targa 3000, mmmm thats tasty.

always with one shoe untied and never finding the other.

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Go to <A HREF="http://www.videoguys.com" target="_new">http://www.videoguys.com</A>. These guys are all about video editing and capture equipment.

Great website... I got my raptor a while back after referencing this site.

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky