connection) in order for it to work best...I have tried
changing the BS IP to fit on the Linksys network, change
the DHCP scope that it gives out...I get an IP and can
connect to the BS from my laptop, problem is getting out
to the Internet...seems the BS and Linksys are not
chatting...Any suggestions?

joker

Try the following information. Just use the linksys router as router
#1. In Barbs directions if you are using the MN-500 you will want to
change the IP address into the same range as what the linksys is handing
out. If you are using the MN-700 When you take it out of routing mode
it becomes a DHCP client. To access the MN-700 when it is a DHCP client
you will need to either remember the name you assigned it our type in
the IP address it was assigned.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_segnet.mspx

One of the two following hardware configurations will allow you to
expand your Microsoft Broadband Network.

The first one is connected via wires & the second one is connected via
wireless.

Wired connection configuration information.

Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #2 --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #2
MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #3 --> WAN port of MN-500 or
MN-700 #3 (if available)

Wireless connection configuration information.

(For this configuration you can only use WEP & MAC filtering, for
wireless security, because the MN-740 doesn't support WPA.)

Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #1
MN-740 --> WAN port of MN-500, or MN-700 #2
MN-740 --> WAN port of MN-500, or MN-700 #3 (if available)

You will have to configure each MN-740 on an Xbox to connect to the
wireless network you want the second & third router to connect to.

General configuration information for both network connection types.

Make sure all MN-100's & MN-500's are running the latest firmware which
is 1.11.017

Make sure all MN-700's are running the latest firmware which is 2.01.02.0590

Make sure all MN-740's are running the latest firmware which is 1.00.02.0021

Now let’s look at the setup of each MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700:

MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
Router mode
LAN IP address at default of 192.168.2.1
Some SSID (if wireless)
Some WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
Channel 6 (if wireless)

MN-500 or MN-700 #2
Bridge mode
LAN IP address at 192.168.2.42, outside of default DHCP range
Same SSID
Same WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
Channel 1

MN-500 or MN-700 #3 (if available)
Bridge mode
LAN IP address at 192.168.2.43, outside of default DHCP range
Same SSID
Same WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
Channel 11

If you keep the SSID and WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network
supports WPA) the same for all base stations, people will be able to
move between locations and get a connection, without needing to change
there configuration as they move.

If you are using WEP on some but WPA on other wireless routers you will
have to reconfigure the wireless settings as you switch between wireless
networks.

You need to select non-overlapping channels for the base stations to
prevent interference.

Non-overlapping channels have at least 5 channels between them as 1, 6,
& 11 do.

Channels 1, 6, & 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.

There are more combinations if you only need two channels.

One last note 2.4 & many 5.8 GHz phones (The models that use the 2.4 GHz
frequency as well as the 5.8 GHZ frequency) will cause interference with
802.11b & 802.11g wireless networking hardware, as 802.11b & 802.11g
both use the 2.4 GHz frequency.

Brooks wrote:
> I recently signed up for Vonage(VOIP) which supplies you
> with their own router to use on your network...I need to
> also include my existing router, Microsoft Wireless Base
> Station, to support my wirless laptops...My goal is to
> have the Base Station (BS) hang off of the Vonage router
> (Linksys) and still connect my wirleless users...The
> Linksys needs to be primary(plugged into my cable
> connection) in order for it to work best...I have tried
> changing the BS IP to fit on the Linksys network, change
> the DHCP scope that it gives out...I get an IP and can
> connect to the BS from my laptop, problem is getting out
> to the Internet...seems the BS and Linksys are not
> chatting...Any suggestions?

assistance.

time.