Windows 7 64 bit support ASUS P5K Vanilla

Marktime

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
I have a ASUS P5K GREEN or Vanilla board running a multi boot setup (Vista 64,32,XP,Linux) With a Q6600 core 2 quad and 8 GB RAM Vista 64 has had no problems. Also with a graphics card from HIS ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT Ice Q Turbo.

Now that I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 I hear all this about this board not being supported, sure enough when I went to the website of ASUS they have every flavor of P5K Supported with the exception of the P5K Vanilla

What really urks me is that I heard that Win 7 can run on much older systems and boards and find it unbelievable that this is happening.

My question is have others been able to run Win 7 Ult 64 SPECIFICALLY on a P5K GREEN OR VANILLA Q6600 GO SLACR with positive results. Seems I only find heart ache and wonder if it is worth even trying

Sincere thanks

Joseph

The P35 chipset is perfectly capable of running Windows 7 64. Installation should be of no particular consequence. As far as ASUS not 'officially' listing Windows 7 could be a matter of the board being out of warranty or something as simple as the onboard sound chip or LAN not having a proper driver from the manufacturer. I would install Windows 7 64 without hesitation. In many instances the Vista 64 drivers will work with Wiundows 7 64. If one of the P35's hardware chips are inoperable and no driver is availble for Win 7 64, buy a PCI LAN or sound card. I have Windows 7 64 installed on an old ASUS 965G MB with no issues what so ever.

EDIT I had Windows 7 64 BETA installed on a socket 939 MB and used it for almost a year.

Marktime

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
Thanks to both of you. Just upsets me that this board came out at the same time as all the other P5K 775 boards and every other board is specifically supported and the Vanilla or GREEN has been removed from their list.

When you go to get specific info it only goes as far as Vista, and is just another frustration with ASUS. I knew I should have gone to Gigabyte... Anyway thanks for the input. I had hoped it would be straight forward, and I am planning to try a Hackintosh option as well.. We shall see

Thanks Again

Marktime

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
I found no problem running Windows 7 since this post. Funny to see it now Googlin' something else. However the programs that came with the motherboard do not function, I even forget what they are called now but they are interfaces that help to see CPU information as well as being able to overclock. Any ideas? Precision Tweaker; AI NOS™; EZ Flash 2; and AI NOS™ to name a few...