Sign in with
Your question

Computer Randomly Restarts Itself

Last response: in Windows 7
February 2, 2013 1:16:04 AM

Hey guys was hoping to get a solution to a problem I've been having. My computer has randomly been starting to restart itself when unattended. I turned it on one day and then left it unattended for a bit, and then noticed that when I came back to it, the computer was at the login screen. I thought it was nothing, so ignored it and kept going, until it happened again. Now it happens anytime the computer is left on, unused for more than like, 20-30 minutes. If I'm actively using it, typing, or on the internet, or playing games, whatever, it stays on without problems.

What is the problem I'm having? And how can I fix this?
February 2, 2013 1:22:57 AM

Are you sure the computer is restarting and not just going into standby/sleep mode? That sounds like what it's doing.

There's a setting that controls how long your computer can sit idle before it starts conserving energy and goes into a lower power-consuming state, such as standby, sleep or hibernate. When you activate the computer again (usually by jiggling the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard), by default you're presented with the login screen and are required to sign in again.

It's advantageous to use these settings as apposed to exiting out of all your programs and completely turning off your computer each time you walk away for a few minutes, as well as it preventing other people from getting on your account once you've walked away.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9090/learning-windows-7-...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2013 1:23:30 AM

Hykosisfury said:
Hey guys was hoping to get a solution to a problem I've been having. My computer has randomly been starting to restart itself when unattended. I turned it on one day and then left it unattended for a bit, and then noticed that when I came back to it, the computer was at the login screen. I thought it was nothing, so ignored it and kept going, until it happened again. Now it happens anytime the computer is left on, unused for more than like, 20-30 minutes. If I'm actively using it, typing, or on the internet, or playing games, whatever, it stays on without problems.

What is the problem I'm having? And how can I fix this?

start with a virus scan to make sure the system is clean. boot of a hirem boot cd. also check the power settings to see if someone set the pc to shutdown on you.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2013 1:29:38 AM

I'm fairly certain it's not a power issue/setting, because when I do start it up, I've been getting "recovered from an unexpected crash" messages, and I'm fairly certain I glimpsed a blue screen once before it shut down. I can check power settings though.
m
l
February 2, 2013 1:33:10 AM

On top of that, I watched it go through the initial systems check black screen once on start up.
m
l
February 2, 2013 1:45:54 AM

Do you know what kind of power supply you have? Also, what kind of power source are you hooked up to?
m
l
February 2, 2013 1:58:13 AM

As far as the kind of power source I'm connected to goes, I'm not sure. But I'm plugged into the wall through a surge protector. As for the power supply, I'm not sure, but I want to say an Insignia (generic Best Buy brand) power supply...Not sure on the power rating on it. Should I run a PSU stress testing using say, OCCT?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2013 5:44:57 AM

yes..gen power supply are know to just fail in bad ways.
m
l
February 2, 2013 5:48:01 AM

Could just be a faulty surge protector...do you have anything else hooked into it? I'd get an alarm clock and set the time, see if it resets at all. And yeah, something like occt should work to test the psu.
m
l
February 2, 2013 11:37:57 AM

The only thing connected to it other than my computer is my speakers. There was an iPod speaker set plugged in, but I moved it to another area of the room. I'll see if I can borrow a friend's alarm clock to see if it resets itself. I'll run OCCT on my PSU and see what happens, and report back.
m
l
!