HSF Removal

G

I'm hesitant to even post this after reading the previous posts about HSF removal, but here it goes...

I recently purchased an ECS K7S5A MB and have been having a hell of a time trying to get it up and running. Not going for a top-end system, I bought an AMD Duron 850 (a few days before AMD chopped prices - timing, timing, timing...). Everything has been installed, but I haven't been able to get the system stable or get good customer support from the mfr, retail site, or SiS. To say the least this has been a long and frustrating experience. At this point, I just want to pack up the MB, ship it back, and wait for either an nForce or KT266A board to hit the streets. Obviously, before I pack up and return the MB, I need to remove the CPU. Here are the ?'s:
1. Should I remove the HSF? From what I gathered in earlier posts, I expect a strong NO!
2. If the answer is no, then what is the process for removing the HSF/CPU from the motherboard and storing it once it is removed? My Dad would have told me, "VERY carefully..."

Thanks in advance for your help!

G

if the heatsink is on the cpu the thermal tape will be imprinted bu the core i mean i dunno

it will look used

if ur careful smooth it back out and return i dunno
be careful when taking the heatsink off its very tight on there

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
One word "Sledgehammer" just kidding.

It's perfectly fine to take the HSF off when the system is powered down and as long as you don't plan on turning it on without it. Just store the processor in the package you originally got it in and put the tape(if you still have it) back on the hsf. IF not just scrape off the goo and buy some artic silver II and when you go to put it back on put a dab ( about the size of a grain of rice) on the die and put the HSF back on.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

G

Thanks for the help...I just wish I would have read the whole email before i broke out the slegehammer. You might be surprise how many pieces the die will break up into...

G

One more question. I used a thermal compund when I originally installed the hsf - thermal tape was exposed contaminated when I received it. Do I need to prep the cpu for reinstallation by cleaning the residue compound from the CPU? If yes, how do clean it?

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
try using a lintfree cloth and isopropyl alcohol. Be careful not to zap it with esd. And don't do it with power to the cpu. I know you probably wouldn't but I just had to say that.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
What's wrong with your system/motherboard?
What problems are you having?
Have you given a thought of trying to solve it before returning it? Tell us what is wrong, we might be able to help.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

G

Little bit longer post, but here's what i've done...

I am building a new computer with components that I have purcahsed:
1. ECS K7S5A motherboard with the SiS 735 chipset.
2. Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM, 30.0GB Hard drive
3. Eagle GeForce2 MX400 video card
4. AOpen FM56 PM modem
5. AOpen CDRW model CRW 1232PRO
6. BTC 56X CDROM model BCD56XSB
7. Mitsumi 3.5" FDD
8. Enlight case with 300W power supply

I installed Windows 98 SE from the hard drive.  I loaded drivers/configured components individually in order to tell which component causes problems while installing.  After loading the drivers for the MX400 and rebooting, I received a message from Windows Registry Checker that said that there is an error in the registry and Windows will reboot and fix the problem.  When the computer reboots I receive the same error.

I have tried reinstalling all the hardware and software multiple times and each time I receive the error after I install the drivers for the video card.  I contacted the video card mfr (Eagle at http://www.espco.com/) and told them everything that I've said thus far in this email.  In their response they told me:

> "Windows registry error is largely due to hardware instability:
> 1.  Marginal system memory timing: try lowering, if possible, the system
> SDRAM clock to 100MHz from 133MHz in CMOS setup.
> 2.  Core logic (SIS related)- 4x AGP instability: try turning OFF 4x mode in
> CMOS setup menu, allow the system to run in AGP 2x mode
> 3.  K7 CPU over-heated: Check heat sink, cooling fan, air->flow and ventilation in your system
>4. Download the Detonator XP drivers and install them.

1. Checked the CMOS setup and it was already running at 100Mhz
2. Modified the AGP to run at 2X versus 4X - it didn't work.
3. Checked the CPU and system temperatures and the were 102F and 82F respectively.
4. I reloaded and installed the Detonator XP driver - it didn't work.

I don't think the temperatures are a problem (please confirm).  I've done everything that I know to do and it hasn't worked.  Where do I go from here?  I don't know if my probs are with related to the MB or the video card. I've heard that these particular video cards are stable. I have no idea what to do at this point. 

G

Little bit longer post, but here's what i've done...

I am building a new computer with components that I have purcahsed:
1. ECS K7S5A motherboard with the SiS 735 chipset.
2. Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM, 30.0GB Hard drive
3. Eagle GeForce2 MX400 video card
4. AOpen FM56 PM modem
5. AOpen CDRW model CRW 1232PRO
6. BTC 56X CDROM model BCD56XSB
7. Mitsumi 3.5" FDD
8. Enlight case with 300W power supply

I installed Windows 98 SE from the hard drive.  I loaded drivers/configured components individually in order to tell which component causes problems while installing.  After loading the drivers for the MX400 and rebooting, I received a message from Windows Registry Checker that said that there is an error in the registry and Windows will reboot and fix the problem.  When the computer reboots I receive the same error.

I have tried reinstalling all the hardware and software multiple times and each time I receive the error after I install the drivers for the video card.  I contacted the video card mfr (Eagle at http://www.espco.com/) and told them everything that I've said thus far in this email.  In their response they told me:

> "Windows registry error is largely due to hardware instability:
> 1.  Marginal system memory timing: try lowering, if possible, the system
> SDRAM clock to 100MHz from 133MHz in CMOS setup.
> 2.  Core logic (SIS related)- 4x AGP instability: try turning OFF 4x mode in
> CMOS setup menu, allow the system to run in AGP 2x mode
> 3.  K7 CPU over-heated: Check heat sink, cooling fan, air->flow and ventilation in your system
>4. Download the Detonator XP drivers and install them.

1. Checked the CMOS setup and it was already running at 100Mhz
2. Modified the AGP to run at 2X versus 4X - it didn't work.
3. Checked the CPU and system temperatures and the were 102F and 82F respectively.
4. I reloaded and installed the Detonator XP driver - it didn't work.

I don't think the temperatures are a problem (please confirm).  I've done everything that I know to do and it hasn't worked.  Where do I go from here?  I don't know if my probs are with related to the MB or the video card. I've heard that these particular video cards are stable. I have no idea what to do at this point. 

I've emailed ECS twice over the past two weeks and finally got my first response today. It had just been forwarded to the engineering department. They told me they would not be responsible for delays in their response! The retail site hasn't been very helpful with support on this board either. I'm pretty disgusted with what I like to call "customer no-service" Thanks for letting me vent and for any help that you can provide!

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
The problem is definitely not the temps. Those are very low.

I am thinking it is just a corrupted registry caused by corrupt/partial install of drivers. This may have happened with you unaware.

G

Didn't think the temps were high.

Can you give me a good step-by-step for installing the drivers in this setup (most stable driver versions, install sequence, etc.)? The MB manual was, to say the least, vague.

G

those temps are low?
did i read that correctly?
since i got up and running last Sat i have been running 38-42c. and i was under the impression that that was a bit on the high side.
asus A7V133 with a duron 950
not OC
hmmmm
Monty

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
just ou tof curiosity what were and where did you get the errors.

<A HREF="http://www.textfiles.com/100/actung.hum" target="_new">Relaxen und watch das blinkenlights...</A>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
im not familiar woith that board, but registry errors are one of my enemies!!, often when ocerclocking/tweakin my bios I get these, has your bios got a failsafe setting? what voltages are you running?

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Try to download and install the <A HREF="http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000697" target="_new">AGP/IDE Drivers ver. 1.07</A>.

You can also try going <A HREF="http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001057" target="_new">here</A>, where a guy gives some links to some geforce drivers that may help.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

G

Th error that I received was from "Windows Registry Checker"
I don't know the exact wordage, but it basically said "Registry checker detected errors in system registry. Windows will reboot and repair the errors." No specifics on the error itself - gotta love precision diagnostics!

Quick update. I've installed a newer version of the ECS AGP drivers v1.06 and installed an older video card (ATI Rage Pro 3D) to try and rule out the GeForce2. Right now I'm running stable and without errors. I need to download 3d Mark 2000 to flex the system. The next thing i'm going to do is try the GeForce with the new ECS AGP Drivers. Hopefully the system will remain stable.

Stick-E-Mouse: v1.07 wasn't on the ECS site. Have you heard of stability probs with it?

G

The AMI BIOS has a default and best performance auto settings. I assume default is what you mean when you say failsafe settings. I started the install using default settings. I've only made two changes in the BIOS. I thought it kinda weird that the MB came with default memory clock at 100Mhz - I bumped that to 133Mhz. I disabled the L2 cache. The ECS board doesn't have a whole lot of voltage manipulation/overclocking capabilities, BIOS or dipswitch, like most of the other mainstay MB mfrs. I've left all of the voltage settings default. I bought this board because I read reviews that it was stable and the SiS chipset was the fastest on the market at the time. So far I haven't seen the stability and without stability I obviously can't attest to speed, but I'm working on it...

G

Please let me know how it goes for you, I was thinking of getting that Mobo, its great for the price. I don't however want to go through hell trying to get it to run stable and at proper clock speeds.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Umm...wait, did u say u DISABLED your L2 cache ??? oh boy, did it take 3 days to boot ??? LoL

try runnign Windows ME just to see if ti helps, even though i dislike Win 98se/ME and all those DOS based OS's its worth a shot, i recommend 2000 =) see how eveythign turns out for you....

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

G

Not an extremely fast boot, but it wasn't booting quick anyway. I'm thinking that it may be the video card. I reinstalled the GeForce2 and loaded the 21.81 drivers and after a couple of reboots (loading options and software) I started receiving the same error from 'Windows Registry Checker - Error accessing the system registry. Win will reboot and correct the error.' Uninstalled the 21.81 drivers and it runs smoothly all day long - smooth with 16 colors and 640x480.

If 2000 will fix this I'll buy it, but I don't want to run out and buy something that won't fix the problem. What are the advantages of 2000 over 98se? What are the difference between 98se and ME?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Dont disable the l2 cache, its like cutting off your cpu's legs and entering it in a marathon, reenable it asap@!

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

G

Gotta love tech support. Disabling the L2 cache was a suggestion from the tech support at micropro.com

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Morons.....

Anyways, are your RAM timings set to default? You may be running them too fast and losing data in transer. Happened to me on any (relatively) large downloads.

Secondly, do you have any backups of your registry? If you do, put those back in place and see if it fixes it.

G

No backup of registry. I ended up returning the board yesterday before the RMA limit ran out on me. Now I have everything but mobo. Do you have suggestions for a Stable, fast and affordable board? Should I wait for the nForce or 266a?