Please help! Driver illiterate :S

bdevries

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hi,
Just bought a new (actually used) laptop and put a new hard drive in it. I am having trouble figuring out the last few drivers I need to install..below is the pertinent information (i think). If you need more info I'd be happy to provide it..if I can figure out how to show it :kaola:

Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5204
Operating system is windows 7. AMD A6 processor.

Here are the 3 drivers I have not yet figured out:
Ethernet controller

SM bus controller - I tried installing an intel chipset but my computer got mad at me. Are there AMD chipsets that would go with my processor? and if so, how would I figure out which chipset goes with my specific processor?

Unknown controller (have little hope for this one lol).

Thank you very very much!

A Intel chip-set driver will not work for an AMD chipset.

Network driver for this model is HERE

Do us a favor and download and run either CPU-Z or Speccyhttp://www.piriform.com/speccyhttp://www.piriform.com/speccy and find out what the exact motherboard you are using is and we might be able to lead you in the right direction on the chipset drivers.

bdevries

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Thank you all for the answers! So I tried downloading the LAN driver (which I actually already did before) and still no luck on the ethernet controller...network driver should fix ethernet controller problems?

Scout, the AMD after utility was just what I needed to get the SM bus installed - a huge THANK YOU for that..now even if I can't seem to get the other 2 running, at least I can play some games. As far as I can tell from what I've read, the SM bus = chipset..is this true? If so, do I still need to run CPU-Z or speccy?

1 final question..is there any way to narrow down what "unknown" could be?

bdevries

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Thanks everyone :)
Busy couple of days for me..once I get some time I'll try to get these last drivers installed based on your advice and let you know if it works...for future reference, can I select multiple "best answers"??

bdevries

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Phew, what a week. Finally working on drivers (crazy Friday night, I know). After finding the unknown driver ID smorizio suggested I do I ran across a HDD utility by googling..I tried downloading that through Toshiba and I still have an unknown driver (ID is tos6205) + bloatware now lol. I still don't have the ethernet driver, but I don't really need it (100% of the time i'm wireless).

!!!EDIT!!! I got Scout's MA config program running and it looks like it should get the ethernet controller fixed, it didn't find the unknown driver on scan as far as I can tell. Just waiting to download winrar since it gave me the controller as a .rar file..if I don't edit again assume ethernet controller is fixed.

Even though I don't have all the answers yet, my laptop is fully functional as far as I'm concerned...I'll leave this thread open another day or two just in case someone knows what I need to download for the unknown driver and after that time I'll probably select a best answer and let this thread go to sleep.

Thank you all for the help, you've been great!

bdevries

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
I downloaded the bluetooth driver and ethernet controller (via the ma-config).

The ethernet controller is successfully installed but it appears the bluetooth driver wasn't the one I needed either (still have an unknown driver)..there were a couple other options on bluetooth utilities so maybe I chose the wrong one.

bdevries

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Well, now I've tried both realtek and atheros bluetooth drivers and neither seem to be the solution. Atheros installed but didn't solve the problem while Realtek fails to install. I'm not too broke up about it though - I don't have any bluetooth devices I need to have up and running

bdevries

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
I am not exactly sure what you mean by "under peripheral" but as far as I can tell, the unknown driver is unchanged from before I fiddled around with bluetooth drivers.