Network Card & Windows XP Please Help

Last response: in Networking
January 27, 2002 1:30:22 PM

Just purchased a new computer with windows xp and was trying to use the network card from the old computer. I put in the card and get the following message upon bootup after the card is recognized.

Cannot Install This Hardware

Ethernet Controller

An error occured during the installation of this device

The data is invalid.

I have tried the following cards and get the same result each time. (I believe that all of these will work in XP)

Dlink DFE-530TX+
GFC1216C-TX-50
Netgear FA311

I have tried different slots and I have tried to manually add the drivers and still get the same results.

I have searched the internet for the problem and came across a few others who had this problem but never was a solution posted.

My system is as follows:
Processor: Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz
Memory: 512 Mb
Video Card: Winfast Geforce2 MX (64 Mb)
Sound Card: Microsoft Kernal DRM Audio Descrambler
Operating System: Windows XP

Both the Dlink and the Netgear drivers for XP are on the XP CD and I have tried to manually install using those drivers and still get the same message.

What am I missing? I have put each of the cards back in the old computer (Windows ME) and they work fine.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

More about : network card windows

January 29, 2002 12:21:22 PM

Did you see this usenet post? Maybe you should try to contact this guy...

From: Jamie Hunter [MS] (JamieHun@online.microsoft.com)
Subject: Re: WinXP - The data is invalid
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
View this article only
Date: 2002-01-25 11:15:15 PST

"Steve" <sjf@pemailxxx.net> wrote in message
> I get this message whenever I try to install new hardware. I did a fresh
> install with only the video card installed. I tried to add an Intel NIC.
> When it found the card and tried to install the drivers, it said that it
> couldn't complete the installation because 'the data is invalid'. I did a
> reinstall (formatted the drive) and the NIC drivers installed correctly.
> Then I tried to add an SB Audigy. I got the data is invalid message again.
> What is causing this?

Steve, in your windows directory (normally c:\windows) you will find a file
called "setupapi.log" please send that to me directly (drop the "online"
from my email address).

Jamie

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
!