Windows 8 RP. Anyone else getting freeze's?

Lucem Ferre

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
I installed it the other day but all it liked to do was keep freezing up on me requiring a reboot. Anyone else had that issue?

Apparently there's a bug in the Hardware Abstraction Layer with Win8 on Sandy Bridge systems. Microsoft released an update which was intended to fix the issue this past Tuesday. Run the updates and see if that helps. If that doesn't I'd come across a possible fix by enabling Hyper-V.

I rolled back to Win 7 on my own i5-2500 system due to the bug before I could try either fix.

gmaster456

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

I've seen people having problems on ivy bridge systems as well.

Lucem Ferre, Can you please tell me what you are doing when Win8 crashes?

So far I have noted that Chrome, CPU-Z(all but the latest version) and HWmonitor all crash windows 8 with a solid freeze. It is very strange. Also, if my card reader is on when i shut down it NEVER shuts down(work around, logout then shut down).

Other then that the only other issue I have come across is that the game Just Cause 2 loads VERY slow, but plays fine once loaded.

System

Asus Maximus IV Gene-z
I7 2600K @ 4.4. Back to stock just in case
4 x 4 Corsair memory
HD 5870
X-fi Titanium fatality(fatality only because it was on sale :) It is the same as the normal titanium to be honest)
Kingston V100 64gig SSD(Used to me my RST drive)
Crucial 128gig SSD(Games)
WDC 2TB Black(Win7 and shares the steam folder with 8)
Seagate 2TB LP for files.

So far it has actually worked out very well. I use HWmonitor with the latest cpu-z running to avoid the crash(seems like i have to leave both open), but its still not 100%

I hope we can find a pattern to your crash and help fix it.