Laptop Performance - cooling

Tom Scales wrote about his IBM X40 load test:

> Well, I'm right at an hour and ten minutes at 100% CPU
> with heavy disk activity.
>
> 1.2 Ghz (surprise!)
> Temp = 63 degrees C
> HD = 36 degrees C

63 degrees C! That's 145 deg F! It's within component
specs, I assume, but temps like that must age the innards...
Maybe the lightweight laptops shouldn't ever be used on the
top of a lap. Maybe the little things should be fed pressurized
air through a hose when really crunchin' them numbers. I see
a new product coming out of Taiwan - outboard air conditioners
to hose-feed chilled air to laptops. :)

*TimDaniels*

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> Tom Scales wrote about his IBM X40 load test:
> >
> > Well, I'm right at an hour and ten minutes at 100% CPU
> > with heavy disk activity.
> >
> > 1.2 Ghz (surprise!)
> > Temp = 63 degrees C
> > HD = 36 degrees C
>

> 63 degrees C! That's 145 deg F! It's within component
> specs, I assume, but temps like that must age the innards...

No, that's not unusual for a laptop that has NOT reached throttling temp
which is closer to 85C.

> Maybe the lightweight laptops shouldn't ever be used on the
> top of a lap.

There have been a number of claims that they get uncomfortably warn on top
of thin clothing.

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

> "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> > Tom Scales wrote about his IBM X40 load test:
> > >
> > > Well, I'm right at an hour and ten minutes at 100% CPU
> > > with heavy disk activity.
> > >
> > > 1.2 Ghz (surprise!)
> > > Temp = 63 degrees C
> > > HD = 36 degrees C
> >

> > 63 degrees C! That's 145 deg F! It's within component
> > specs, I assume, but temps like that must age the innards...
>
> No, that's not unusual for a laptop that has NOT reached throttling temp
> which is closer to 85C.
>
> > Maybe the lightweight laptops shouldn't ever be used on the
> > top of a lap.
>
> There have been a number of claims that they get uncomfortably warn on top
> of thin clothing.

There are way too many variables here and too few samples to draw
conclusions from.

:: I doubt hard drive is contributing significant heat. The CPU is probably
warming up the HD if anything. So disk bound benchmarks may be (probably
are) worthless.

:: Memory probably has a lot to do with it. A GB of memory in two SODIMM
slots will bake the entire machine to a toasty temp. It's even plausible to
think this is the main heat source. So... GB, # slots would need to be
considered. Comparing a 1.2 M / 512MB against a 1.8 M / 2GB is hardly a
fair comparison. On another note, a process that counts from 1 to 2^32
endlessly would likewise not be a good benchmark obviously because it will
only heat up the registers on the CPU. So the best process would not use
the harddrive, drive main memory, and consume 100% CPU. Video compression
doesn't fit this. Games might. Seti might.

:: Too much gabbing about form factor. Who cares. I'm more interested in
die size, future processors, and limitations in the overall system. All
things equal, I think memory is the new heat problem.

But like I said, there are too many factors. There's no clear way an
individual can figure this one out. Maybe a trade magazine.