Sleep Mode Does What It Wants

mrkilo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Hi,

Quick question. My new computer with Windows 7 is sometimes automatically going into sleep mode, then randomly turning back on minutes later, and repeating the process. I do not touch the mouse or anything like that, although it is a sensitive mouse. What could be causing this and how do I fix ??

Also sometimes I have to click "Sleep" twice from the start menu to get it to actually go to sleep. Any help appreciated. Thanks guys

Check if the mouse's led/laser emiter is free of lint, hair, etc. The led emiter/receiver is so sensitive, even a strand of thin hair stuck in it can make the cursor go crazy and do weird things on it's own. If that doesn't help, check the Startup applications in Start \ Run \ msconfig \ startup \ if any process name there coincides with another in the Taskmanager, it may be what's causing the restless Sleep Mode. I'd suggest you disable all startup applications (except the Antivirus) unchecking them in the Startup tab. If still not solved, scan the system for virus and malware.

I would also recommend doing the following:
1. Go into Device Manager (whichever direction you take is fine)
2. Expand Network Connections
3. Right click each of the different connections (one at a time mind you, you'll have to repeat the process for the others)
4. Click on Properties
5. Click on the Power Management tab
6. Uncheck the box titled "Allow this device to wake the computer"

I would also recommend doing the same thing under Universal Serial Bus Controllers but only for the USB Root Hubs.

on the mb make sure you have the newest bios and look under power settings on the bios (c1/c3 states). there also sometime in the bios wake the pc up but mouse/keyboard/lan in bios. check to see that the bios is not putting the pc to sleep and fighting windows. if the system is still glitchy power off...pull the power from the wall and clear the cmos...could be a cmos glitch.

powercfg.exe /energy to generate a report about your running system sleep issues.
sometimes programs block sleep because they are slow to respond. for example you tell the system to sleep but it is streaming data and has to wait for software to respond to the sleep request before it can sleep. powercfg can also tell you what device woke the system.

it can be the network card getting packets from another device, it can be a mouse generating a small mouse movement because of changes in the electronics. Best to actually look what happened with powercfg.exe
i think the option was -lastwake (but i don't recall offhand)
a lot of refusing to go to sleep are cause by media center's sharing of media.
you have to change options in the control panel power management for sharing media to get it not let media center overide sleep requests

I always forget about the built in Power Toys :pt1cable: