Will AMD Release Higher Clocked Athlons?

G

I'm thinking about purchasing a 1.4 ghz Athlon but beforehand i'd like to know if AMD will be releasing any faster Athlon's in the near future.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
It's been rumored that they are supposed to release 1.5 & 1.6 GHz palamino's in october but I'm not holding my breath.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

G

so would you advise waiting til the end of October then? i think i'll go ahead and get my 1.4 athlon now as the new Athlons will obviously start off very pricey.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Go ahead and get a 1.4. They're dirt cheap, so it's not a problem to get that now and upgrade to something else later.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

G

All i need to do now is decide which motherboard to get, the 3 i'm looking at are: Epox 8k7a+, Abit KG7 and Gigabyte GA-7DXR...i can't decide which to get!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Agreed. Performance-wise, the AMD 761 isn't the best, but the tweaking and stability of the KG7 outweigh that.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The kr7-raid is coming in a few weeks, same bios and board as kg7 but with the kt266a chipset, THAT is the board I will buy to replace my venerable kt7a-raid.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

mpjesse

Splendid
The new ones will be pricey and not all that different from the t-birds. The only REAL difference is full support for SSE. Compare a AthlonMP to a reg. Athlon at the same clock speed and they're not all that different (in terms of performance). The AthlonXP will be a bit of a joke. Only good thing: higher clock speeds, which means they'll be able to compete with high clocked P4's.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Will microsoft Sue amd for saying there processor is called the Athlon<font color=red>XP</font color=red>

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
MPJesse, I believe you are mistaken.

At a given clock speed, the new Athlon MP/XP will be as much as 10% faster as compared to an equally clocked Athlon without the SSE instructions. This is in regards to apps that use the instructions (most do).

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
MP, you are indeed mistaken, average performance increase clock for clock is 10-15%. This is due to the hardware prefetch mostly I would assume.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
MP the Palomino core offers several improvem ents over Thunderbird

1) SSE support
2) lower power consumption (less heat generated by roughly 20-25%)
3) Redesigned core to improve internal eficiency
4) Data prefetch

These 4 things combine to give Palomino (in MP form right now) a 10% average performance boost. Yes, some things will only be marginally faster per clock, but other things will be MUCH faster per clock.

Of course, we won't know how all this translates to the desktop versions of the CPU until it ships next month and benchmarks are presented by reviewers.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

mpjesse

Splendid
I know the differences, but this is what I said:

"Compare a AthlonMP to a reg. Athlon at the same clock speed and they're not all that different (in terms of performance)"

Overall, the only REAL advantage the Palomino has is scalability.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

mpjesse

Splendid
follow this link:
<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q2/010605/760mp-06.html" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q2/010605/760mp-06.html</A>

Actually performance advantages are more like in the 1-5% arena. Hardly worth noting. Again, the only real advantage the Palomino has is scalability.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

mpjesse

Splendid
Jesus, you people want to argue over 10%! Give me a break. According to benches, it's more like 5%. I say yet again... the only REAL advantage of the AthlonXP/MP is scalability!!! =)

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
No offense, but do not put all your faith in one site alone. Tom's is reputable, but I feel myself questioning the outputs of those benchmarks. I have seen and read on numerous other sites showing the Athlon MP (Palamino) showing MUCH (relatively speaking) improved preformace. 10% was range was not uncommon, just an average. Considering SSE is used in more than a few applications, this will be quite a big boost in "free" speed. Also, the new incorporated data prefetch should become a lot more apparent in it's speed boost as time goes on.

In addition, are you forgetting the lower power consumption and lower heat output?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
10% clock for clock is A LARGE difference. You are wrong when you say palominos only benifit is scalability.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Read sharkeys, check out anandtech, many reviewers show the 10-15% bonus across the board. This bonus is by no means small.
Even a 5% increase negates your claim that "the palominos only benifit is scaleability" that is all I am saying.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Tell me 5% dfoesn't make much difference AFTER benchmarks of Palomino on KT266A based motherboards are put up against P4 2Ghz systems and outperform them on almost every benchmark, Wusy.

While there are no benchmarks like this available yet, a month from now there will be.

In a nutshell...when comparing two different CPUs and chipsets, 5% can mean everything as far as which provides the best performance and which provides the most bang for the buck.

Right now Athlon offers the most bang for the buck and P4 offers best performance. But in a month this may not be the case...Athlon may once again be the top CPU in both categories. I say *may* because we don't know for certain until benchmarks demonstrate one way or the other. We can only estimate based on past performance comparisons of Athlon and Palominos.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!