Marvelii

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2001
im finally getting my duron 800mhz and FIC socket A mobo w/atx 300watt barebone! im goin to transfer my old HHD and stuff,etc. to it and im so excited! i mean i was thinkin of getting a videocard for my aging k62 500mhz but buying a whole new system will benefit me more for future upgardes! wow! i cant wait till i get it! i need to ask u fellow pc gamers whats ur opinion on my new pc? is it good or bad? it was pretty cheap like 140 or less i think. how does the duron stack up to other processors? i need to know what u guys think! thanx for ur opinions.

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Does it really matter how fast it is so long as it seems new and exciting to you? I say good for you, I'll seem super compared to your k62 500. :)

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Whoa....Time warp....Where are we....Last year?

I'm glad you're so excited about getting a new system. Computers are fun. Just be aware that your system is already (horribly?) out of date. Why didn't you go for a 1.2 GHz Athlon? Prices are so low these days. Glad you're happy about your purchase.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

Marvelii

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2001
yeah i know its a little out of date im jus takin one step at a time into building THE ULTIMATE PC! i was jus tired of runnning games at min. settings and res. i couldve gotten a 1ghz but this was a bundle and i could afford it so its good for now. thanx for the opinions guys!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
it isnt the fastest around as red Z pointed out, but not everyone can afford the best, the difference WILL be a lot from the old k6, but it depends what you want form it, my kid has a k6-2 with a voodoo 3, and 128 of ram, its just fine for him, the most demanding thing he does on it is play ut, he has 15" monitor and has no problems, so in this case there wouldnt be a point in an upgrade, I have a 1 gig athy running at 1400, I dont really need that speed, I surf, download crap, few bits and pieces, play counterstrike (or try to), I dont NEED a 1400 with 256 of 150 cas2 ram, I have a GF2, I WANT a gf3, but dont NEED one!

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

Congratulations, I too just upgraded merely 3 months ago with a system just like yours, and an ATI RADEON SDR (Yes it's OLD) and that's what I could afford at the moment, and it's great for gaming!! Need for Speed High Stakes runs smoothly at 1024x768 32bpp. And I also had a k6 system, so I'm sure you'll notice a BIG difference.

Good for you!

Lach

dhlucke

Polypheme
You'll be loving it. Don't worry if it's not a 23PHz machine. I would buy a decent videocard though since that's almost more important than the CPU if you want to play games. I have a Duron 800 on one machine and it's great.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thats great!

if you are happy with it its good!!

well, true, its not the fastest and the best around but its quite adequate. if you spend a bit more on a decent display card - even a RivaTNT2 will also do too good you wont have any problem. and that you can alway overclock the Duron to some safer limits to say 950 MHz without much effort.

all in all, your system is great, I use a Duron 600@800 at my home and I am not considering any upgrade, its pretty good at gaming and day to day apps I hardly feel its slow.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
RE: DDR or PC166 i cant decide!

why not get the best of both worlds and get some PC2400 ro PC2700 DDR when it comes out?
*grin*

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Good for you.... my Duron800 has been running at 1ghz to 1.1ghz for 9 months now. I bought it as a temporary processor until the 'top of the line' 1.2's came down in price, but performance was so good I never needed to upgrade :D

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky