arctic silver, t-bird, and a heatsink

G

i just got arctic silver and thermaltake volcano6 cu+ for a t-bird. is there a site where i can properly use them? any pointers, experiences, and mistakes to tell me?

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
www.arcticsilver.com has the instructions you need.

I used latex gloves to put mine on. If you are putting on the heatsink and something sounds like it is about to crack, STOP IMMEDIATELY and reread your hsf installation instructions, or you risk turning your CPU into a keychain.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm" target="_new">Instructions how to apply Arctic Silver II</A>

Here's a great <A HREF="http://www.systemlogic.net/articles/00/8/socketa/" target="_new">article</A> on how install a Socket A HSF correctly from SystemLogic.net.

Tip: Go slow, and be patient. Better safe than sorry, right? :smile: Good luck!

Kernel32.dll error...aw, son of a.... :eek:

I hope the clip on your volcano 6 is easier to use than the one on my volcano 5. What a pain in the neck! I have to use one screwdriver to press down, while sliding another screwdriver along the side to pressure the clip sideways so it will pop off. Be careful or you could easily break the socket tab. I used an old credit card to lap the asII on the cpu core, and the same for the heatsink. I wouldn't remove the a.s. and apply another coat, as suggested by some. The first coating will work fine, as long as you spread it evenly and thinly on the cpu with a credit card only (no fingers).

G

strange o1die is that i have a volcano 5 and it was very easy to install it. BTW the volcano 5, volcano 6cu, and volcano 6cu+ are all the same (even the clip) except for copper cores and higher rpm fans

G

why would i want to clean the arctic silver off of the die? you mean off of the heatsink?