Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade or not

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2001 5:55:05 AM

I am currently using a CELERON 400MHz on my motherboard. I can upgrade to a 400MHz PENTIUM II. Is it worth the time and money to do so? How much speed will I get? I know the bus speed will go from 66MHz to 100Mhz.

Mark

More about : upgrade

September 22, 2001 6:10:59 AM

I do not think it is really worth the money to 'upgrade' to the same speed processor. I recommend you get the fastest Pentium III processor your motherboard will allow.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2001 6:16:02 AM

If only you had a Celeron 366, as many of these could be overclocked to 100FSB!
The problem with PII's is the slow off-die cache. It turns out that a Celeron 333 overclocked to 500@100FSB would usually outperform a PII at 500 because it's on-die cache was faster. Maybe your motherboard would support a Coppermine PIII? The cheapest REASONABLY FAST upgrade is a Celeron 566 overclocked to 850, since these chips only cost $30. Using a $10 slotket. But they are also Coppermine, so it really depends on your motherboard.

Back to you Tom...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2001 2:57:47 PM

How do I know what the fastest Pentium III processor my motherboard will allow?
Hardware: Gateway G6-400C
Motherboard: http://www.gateway.com/support/techdocs/references/moth...
Memory: 256MB 100MHz
BIOS: Intel/AMI BIOS version 4R4CB0XA.15A.0018.P08

Thanks
Mark
September 22, 2001 7:25:35 PM

Your motherboard is a 440BX Slot 1. The table on that page indicates your maximum upgrade would be a Pentium II 400MHz. You may be able to go higher than that with a BIOS upgrade, but I cannot be sure. Others in this forum have probably experimented more with the 440BX and Pentium III CPUs than I have.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
September 22, 2001 9:16:15 PM

Depending on what bios you can get for your board you should be able to slap a good processor in there. Go to the gateway forum and ask around there and find out what people have gotten to work.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
September 22, 2001 9:18:57 PM

I have a 440BX from Dell and they say the max is 400 Mhz PII, but it can actually handle a 1 Ghz PIII. Intel and Dell both deny it though since they don't support it.

It ends up being cheaper to just buy a new motherboard, memory and CPU though rather than spending over $200 on a 1 Ghz PIII.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
September 23, 2001 1:09:59 AM

Yeah new mobo (sis) athlon 1ghz and 256 megs pc2100 ram comes in just under 200, and performs better than the p3.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
!