P4 no longer such a bad deal?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Socket 478 P4 1.5GHz is now going for $130. I beleive it can be overclocked to 2GHz by raising the FSB to 133 (using the PC600 setting with PC800 memory on an Abit TH7-II) While still a little slower than the 1.4GHz T-Bird overclocked to 1600, for those who really want one it's not that high a price!

Back to you Tom...

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I am waiting for the Northwood processor and some motherboards that work with PC1066 RDRAM. Most current PC800 RDRAM will run fine at PC1066 speeds. We just need decent motherboards to begin our overclocking endeavors.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you set a motherboard to PC600 and overclock it to 133FSB, it runs at PC800 speed. If you set it for PC800 and overclock it to 133FSB, you get PC1066 speed. So you can actually use the PC1066 for overclocking existing boards. And the Abit TH7-II allows overclocking in this manner. In fact, if what you say is true, the PC1066 should also overclock well, possibly enabling 150MHz bus speeds. On current motherboards.

Back to you Tom...

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Well, currently the limiting factor for RDRAM overclocking is actually on the motherboard itself. The clock generators on most i850 chipset motherboards were of low quality. When you <A HREF="http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=45000217" target="_new">replace these clock generators</A> you enable clocking much higher than the normal 400MHz. Once these motherboards of higher quality are released to the general public we will not have to use the PC600 settings when overclocking the processor. We will be able to use the PC800 settings and achieve PC1066 performance. Increasing memory and CPU clockspeed at the same time leads to some significant performance increases. I remember doing similar things with the old Celeron 300-A processors. Talk about a bargain...

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Hmmmmmm, interesting. I was holding out on rebuilding my second computer (after selling mobo, cpu and memory to fix another persons computer). Now this is another option I may tour. It would be nice having an AMD system and an Intel system to play around with. Pit one against the other etc.. Now which one will get the Radeon 8500???

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 09/22/01 07:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Oct_7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
HI,

well, i hope that is true. btw, if I oc a pentium, do i need a descent HSF? or just any hsf will do?

Thx

Oct_7

[] [_] [-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'll need an incredibly good cooler, as 2GHz is beyond so far beyond heat spec for the 1.5GHz that it would be running in limp mode all the time. But hey, you could always wait for Swiftec to introduce their S478 cooler.

Back to you Tom...

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Get a Northwood (0.13 micron) when it comes out. I'm planning on overclocking one from 2GHz up to 2.67GHz. With sufficient cooling and voltage tweaks we shouldn't have much of a problem.

-Raystonn

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
It is not out yet. The release price has not yet been publicly stated. ;) Since there is already a 2GHz processor out on the market, marketing dictates you cannot release the Northwood at a much higher price. Most people will see it as just a 2GHz processor, therefore it will closely shadow the price of the other 2GHz processor. Since the 2.2GHz chip is probably being released at the same time as the 2GHz Northwood... the 2GHz Northwood will be included in any price cuts, to keep it near the price of the 2GHz Williamette.

-Raystonn

screw radoen 8500... think 8500DV! *drools and thinks about s-video, VIVO, tv tunor, firewire ports, remote control with it* *pisses his pants* dang i really should use the bathroom before thinking about this stuff lol!!! ... when is my video card out! the radeon 8500DV!!!!??? lol

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
What exactly are those extra 55 pins for. I suppose that in the case of Northwood with doubled L2 cache they could serve as extra address and data lines. Are they also more Vss, Vdd lines as well?

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
The microPGA 478 pin package adds extra power and ground pins for increased stability and reliability above 2 GHz. This is the functionality of those extra 55 pins.

-Raystonn

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I can go $200 on a CPU. But who knows, AMD might have something new for the desktop by then. I'm cosidering them as well since SiS has improved their product and ALi introduced new ones, and nVidia still looks promissing. So it all depends on what's available at the time I upgrade.

Back to you Tom...

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
AMD owns the dual performance market right now... dual p4's is a waste? can the P4 even run dual... i thought INTEL disabled them for SMP... only p4 xeons can run dual

lol got any proof to your words to back it up? Sounds like paperware to me; add some weight to make it credible.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"a .13 ATHLON (T-Bred) at 2.1 or so should beat u in a majority of benchmarks"

If you mean an Athlon PR2100, then you are definately wrong. If you mean an Athlon 2.1GHz, I would estimate based on current benchmarks that you will still be wrong. We will have to wait a year or so until AMD manages to drive its clockspeed up that high. By that time I will likely have a better machine anyway.

-Raystonn

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Raystonn, the northwood improvements havent even been listed with any certainty, when benchmarks are released we will see which chip is faster, and even then the athlon will STILL kick the sh!t out of the pentium on price/performance. Unless intel plans to have a price war on an epic scale.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"when benchmarks are released we will see which chip is faster"

Yes, we will. Unfortunately, I cannot release my benchmarks.

"the athlon will STILL kick the sh!t out of the pentium on price/performance."

So we must wait for the release to check performance, but not price? How do you compute a price/performance ratio without knowing either one of its components: price or performance. This is not very logical.

We could sit here and argue all day because I work for Intel and you work for AMD. I tend to refrain from making baseless comments about future AMD chips to avoid these pointless wars. They help noone.

-Raystonn

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
My comments are based on the benchmarks of current athlon mps vs 1.7ghz p4 XEON's. !You! made the baseless claim that northwood xeons would beat the 1.53ghz athlon dualie, since you cannot provide evidence, your claim that I was wrong was in fact the baseless one.(and I fully understand and accept the motives behind you not being able to post benchmarks, I have decided not to post pictures of device manufacture defects I have which are cool and prove to AMDmeltdumbass I actually work where I claim, based on nda's as well.)

I find it hard to believe that the northwood core improvements will be enough to make up for the marked whoopage the dual athlons show current dual p4 xenons, but like I said we have no benchmarks to confirm or deny this.

As for my claim to the athlonmp having better price/performance than intels future offerings, if you follow the history of the chips pricing you will find amd ALWAYS goes out of its way to keep its prices rock bottom, and I am sure these northwood xenons will NOT be cheap, while athlonMP chips are VERY cheap.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~