Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pre Full HD Wipe Checklist Help.

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
February 2, 2013 4:45:08 AM

<<SOrry if this is in the wrong section, I could not figure out where to put it, feel free to move it to proper section>>

Model: Toshiba Satellite P755-S5198

Ok... I might get chewed for this but, I am tried of all the 'fluff' that comes with my Toshiba so I am sure I am dooming my self here.

Ive had this Toshiba for a good two years now and it has more than paid for its investment for what Ive put it through, and I want to squeeze more out of it, but the fluff is the cause of so much stress for me. Now I know to be in a Administrator account to uninstall stuff, yada yada. But I know that doesn't get rid of it though cause of the Recovery partition.

After alot of deciding I decide to put my Hirens to personal use and make all things on my Hard Drive Zeros!!! Well will soon after I get info I need.

I will be using double driver to back up all this then restore it once I wipe the hard drive if that is feasible.

ANyone who has a p755-S5198 know what key drivers are needed for basic operability?

I am assuming the NIC, the Realtek LAN/Enet port controller, the GPU and Integrated Graphics driver, and the HM65 Chipset controller? Oh and Generic USB for mouse use.

The rest I will use other tools in the Hirens to get Driver info and stuff..

<<Point of the topic>>
1. Will I need to Flash the Bios if I completely wipe the harddrrive, recovery partition and all? Or will my Bios remain the same even if I wipe the HD?
2. Is there a way to make a recovery Partition on the HDD after installing windows and getting the computer perfectly set up like you want ((Aka Programs installed, modifications made and what not).? Assuming it will use the Windows Recovery stuffs? I dont want to just make a Partition on the Hardrive, I want it to be a actual partition that is strictly for recovery purposes, since I do a Factory restore 1 time every month, the principle is the same for making a New recovery partition if I wipe the computer.
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2013 9:41:08 AM

Hi

Toshiba provides a program to download BIOS and driver updates so if this is running your BIOS and drivers should be up to date.
flashing the BIOS is always subject to risk of corruption, less so for laptops with mains & battery power

Toshiba web site provides latest version of drivers & BIOS
mice rarely need specialist drivers unless they have a lot of extra buttons
laptops often have specialised power management drivers
Audio chipsets usually have specialist drivers (and control panel entries)


I would NOT remove Toshiba recovery partition

What program are you intending to use to create image of C: with ?

There is no good reason why it can't store its image files on D:
you could create an additional partition by shrinking D: to create space for E:
(though DVD may be E: so extra partition may be F:) 

The are a number of programs designed to remove all extra programs provided by PC manufacturer
example
http://pcdecrapifier.com/

After a recovery install using Toshiba disks you would have several hours of Microsoft updates, Toshiba updates, Java, Acrobat, antivirus software
re activate MS Office 2010 Trial ?
then run PC decrapifier to remove extra un-needed Toshiba added software (inc trial AV software)
add AV software of your choice if different to trial


then create image of C: onto another partition.

regards

Mike Barnes

m
0
l
February 2, 2013 1:25:23 PM

PC Decrapifier, from my experience using it does not remove the bloatware from the recovery partition which is the main reason why I am watnign to completely wipe the hard drive. And the fact Im to lazy each time to removeall the other crap Decrapifier doesn't remove, AKA Norton ((Sadly c.c)) and Wlid Tangent and a slew of other things.

I am lazy yes, SInce I usually do a restore every month or two, Its a haggle removing Toshiba Added Value crap, WIld Tangent, etc etc. Then having to do my normal optimizations by disabling services that are not key to WUpdate and my general gaming interactions and add my own 'fluff' such as Window Blinds and CursorFX and WindowsXDock.

Time consuming then again, computers can be. But I wanted to expedite that by. Wiping ther HDD to completely and here is what the system would be without making a partition for Recovery yet.

1. Photoshop CS6e
2. WindowBlinds
3. CursorFX
4. xwDock
5. 7zip
6. Obviously Windows to be completely updated from WUpdate..
7. Toshiba HD/SSD Protection
8. Eset Smart Security 5 with its configured settings ((If feasible))
9. All drivers up to up to date.
10. Service pruning/System Optimization
12. All Windows updates up to day of Recovery image being created.
11. <<Any suggestions on what else , I should add to it?>>

This laptop when doing a Factory restore doesn't keep its updates so I have to go through over two years of updates which takes quiet a while to do Windows Updates then my driver updates all over again. Its rather aggravating really.

As for what I would use to create a System Image after I got my computer set the way I wanted to, possibly DiskImage(Roadkil), maybe DriveiMAGEXml but I haven't touched that yet to try it.

As for Drivers I have for Toshiba.
1. Intel HW65 CHipset
2. Realtek Wirless
3. Realtek Audio
4. Realtek Lan/Enet
5. Most Recent Bios
6. Toshiba Service Station
7. Toshiba HDD/SDD Protection
8. Nvidia GPU Driver

This P755 does not come with recovery disks, only a Recovery partition. Yes I will be making a Image on a External Hard drive, as well as a Bootable USB to fix stuff as well. I want to put one on Laptop also just for General restore so I dont have to fiddle with extra crap.

I am wanting to get the core stuff I use , the drivers fo rthem downloaded and backed up, wipe my HDD completely, and make my system the way I want it to be, without having Bloatware and all kinds of trash nomming at my sytsem.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2013 1:43:28 PM

jwreeves88 said:
PC Decrapifier, from my experience using it does not remove the bloatware from the recovery partition which is the main reason why I am watnign to completely wipe the hard drive. And the fact Im to lazy each time to removeall the other crap Decrapifier doesn't remove, AKA Norton ((Sadly c.c)) and Wlid Tangent and a slew of other things.

I am lazy yes, SInce I usually do a restore every month or two, Its a haggle removing Toshiba Added Value crap, WIld Tangent, etc etc. Then having to do my normal optimizations by disabling services that are not key to WUpdate and my general gaming interactions and add my own 'fluff' such as Window Blinds and CursorFX and WindowsXDock.

Time consuming then again, computers can be. But I wanted to expedite that by. Wiping ther HDD to completely and here is what the system would be without making a partition for Recovery yet.

1. Photoshop CS6e
2. WindowBlinds
3. CursorFX
4. xwDock
5. 7zip
6. Obviously Windows to be completely updated from WUpdate..
7. Toshiba HD/SSD Protection
8. Eset Smart Security 5 with its configured settings ((If feasible))
9. All drivers up to up to date.
10. Service pruning/System Optimization
12. All Windows updates up to day of Recovery image being created.
11. <<Any suggestions on what else , I should add to it?>>

This laptop when doing a Factory restore doesn't keep its updates so I have to go through over two years of updates which takes quiet a while to do Windows Updates then my driver updates all over again. Its rather aggravating really.

As for what I would use to create a System Image after I got my computer set the way I wanted to, possibly DiskImage(Roadkil), maybe DriveiMAGEXml but I haven't touched that yet to try it.

As for Drivers I have for Toshiba.
1. Intel HW65 CHipset
2. Realtek Wirless
3. Realtek Audio
4. Realtek Lan/Enet
5. Most Recent Bios
6. Toshiba Service Station
7. Toshiba HDD/SDD Protection
8. Nvidia GPU Driver

This P755 does not come with recovery disks, only a Recovery partition. Yes I will be making a Image on a External Hard drive, as well as a Bootable USB to fix stuff as well. I want to put one on Laptop also just for General restore so I dont have to fiddle with extra crap.

I am wanting to get the core stuff I use , the drivers fo rthem downloaded and backed up, wipe my HDD completely, and make my system the way I want it to be, without having Bloatware and all kinds of trash nomming at my sytsem.


Sounds like you need to re-think your strategy in regards to creating a separate image in the Recovery Partition. PC Decrapifier actually works quite well but it isn't designed to remove stuff from a partition that is only used during a "RECOVERY" situation. It's as simple as running the recovery, running pcdecrapifier right after, and you are square. PC Decrapifier does indeed remove Norton AND Wild Tangent, you just need to be sure that you're making the correct suggestions.

As for creating your own image, I've used Acronis True Image and it seems to be the simplest and the home version is actually free for download if I remember correctly.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 1:51:08 PM

I understand this, then there is.. the normal five or six hours of updating just getting windows updates, on my connection it takes for ever at 1mbit. Then there is updating drivers..

It usually takes me a good 8 to 10 hours to just get updates and drivers done cause of all the PC restarting.. Then Ill spend another 2 to 4 hours on just following my system optimization list I compiled through google searching. Slow net as well as wanting to take time to make sure everything I do does not affect something I use.

From start to finish, It takes me a a good 11 hours, might seem like a while, my net speed is the reason it takes ages to do crap -.-

This is why I want to wipe my HD completely, Install 7 Home Premium.. Get it updated to current, Get Drivers updated to current, get my Tweaks and Optimizations done, get what few programs I want on there. Best of all no Norton or any other Bloaty crap!

This way I wont have to spend god forever having to bring everything back up to speed.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2013 1:59:13 PM

jwreeves88 said:
I understand this, then there is.. the normal five or six hours of updating just getting windows updates, on my connection it takes for ever at 1mbit. Then there is updating drivers..

It usually takes me a good 8 to 10 hours to just get updates and drivers done cause of all the PC restarting.. Then Ill spend another 2 to 4 hours on just following my system optimization list I compiled through google searching.


I've actually tested a couple different scenarios as of late inside of a virtual box using Windows 7 and found that one of them is similar to what you are wanting to do. I've used a program called RT Se7en Lite to allow me to go in and tweak the different settings and configurations of the installation to take out different features and add different ones in such as SP1 etc.
The process is described in detail HERE and should go along with what you are trying to accomplish and make it a bit easier.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 2:05:33 PM

I'd delete all the partitions and format. Then make one partition. And get a non Toshiba Windows 7 SP1 DVD and install. Use the product key on the sticker(bottom of your laptop). Download the lastest drivers, only the drivers you need. Network, audio ect...

I did that to my laptop, it's from a from a big name company. And it works so much better without all the OEM junk on it.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 2:12:33 PM

Thats exactly what I am doing WDM, I have that already covered :p .

Its setting up a partition that I can do a Recovery from every month or so.. Aka.. How the Toshiba recovery wipes the Harddrive ((Save for its recovery )) and resotres to factory image. I am wanting to reproduce that effect but with my own system image of the way I want my system :u

FYI: I will be putting a Recovery image on a USB, DIsc, and Extrenal Hard drive as well as the Laptop hardrive in a partition.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 2:14:19 PM

wdmfiber said:
I'd delete all the partitions and format. Then make one partition. And get a non Toshiba Windows 7 SP1 DVD and install. Use the product key on the sticker(bottom of your laptop). Download the lastest drivers, only the drivers you need. Network, audio ect...

I did that to my laptop, it's from a from a big name company. And it works so much better without all the OEM junk on it.


This is the correct answer. Delete all current partitions and create a new one that takes up the whole disk. Format it, then install windows with a real windows DVD. Don't use the one that came with your laptop because it will just install all the crapware again.

The first thing you do after installing windows is to install the intel inf chipset drivers. Then install nvidia drivers for your vid card. Then go to the toshiba site for your laptop and get the bare essentials like audio and dvd authoring.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 2:18:25 PM

The wonderful thing...Toshiba doesnt send Recopvery disk with their laptops that have W7...well most of em, Mine didnt.

I know to delete the partitions cause Ill end up setting up another one later on for my Recoveyr image to keep it separate from the system.

I am probably over complicating things I think..
m
0
l
!