Sign in with
Your question

opinions peeps possible overheating

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 23, 2001 7:50:39 AM

I built a system for my daughter (7) lol out of bits that I had hanging around and some new bits...basically:

Gigabyte mainboard
128 pc133
750 duron
creative tnt2 ultra

every so often the sodding thing will corrupt its harddisk and I have to reinstall win 98 (and everything else)...I'm thinking its the case. the power supply sits only about an inch away from the cpu cooling fan. I put an extra case fan in but it still happens Grrr...
What do you think?

cheers..

Raymond
September 23, 2001 9:33:42 AM

I'm not sure but it sounds like you got a faulty harddisk. Are you getting bad sectors? If you are, after you install win 98 do a surface check on it. Better still format it clean, plug it onto your pc check it and then plug it back onto your daughter's pc and reinstall

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink:
a c 159 à CPUs
September 23, 2001 9:33:49 AM

Is your power supply well vented? A cheap ps will have fewer vents around the cover, causing the cpu temps to run 3-6 degrees higher.
Related resources
September 23, 2001 10:32:10 AM

Make sure you have the 4 in 1's installed!

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 25, 2001 11:43:32 PM

I had a Seagate Medalist drive that would do that every 6 months or so. Drove me nuts, thinking I had a bad mboard or memory or some such. It would hang during the Windows ScanDisk (not the DOS version).

Turned out to be a bad drive. Since it was only a 4 gigger, no loss. :-) Maybe make a windchime out of it. LoL

If I can't see it in the viewfinder, it doesn't exist.
!