Sign in with
Your question

New System P4 or Athlon

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 23, 2001 10:21:45 PM

Hello Everyone...I am having some trouble deciding which way I should go when I upgrade my system. Im either looking at a duel athlon 1.2 ghz or a P4 1.7 ghz with RDRAM...price isnt much of a concern. Im looking for a system that will be used for mostly gaming and video editing (encoding) which is going to offer the best performance with minimal problems?

More about : system athlon

September 23, 2001 10:36:09 PM

I had teh same question- especially for vid editing. The Dual Athlon is your best bet, although you should know that a game only takes advntage of 1 processor, hence dual processor won't give u better results in games.

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac
September 23, 2001 11:06:01 PM

Dual 1.2GHz Athlons will perform better than the P4 1.7 in most SMP-enabled apps. In non-SMP apps, the P4 1.7GHz maybe faster in some cases. That's of course assuming you're talking about the regular Athlon T-Bird and not the Athlon MP. If you're considering the Athlon MP then it's no contest, get the Dual Athlon MP setup!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Related resources
September 23, 2001 11:15:36 PM

Is adobe premiere SMP enabled?

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac
September 24, 2001 12:03:55 AM

yes

ewww, put that thing away, you're in public!
September 24, 2001 12:18:25 AM

geez!
well if money really isnt any problem, then you may as well wait a little for the dual 2+ Ghz xeon to arrive.

you also have to work out what apps you are going to use, and how many of them can take advantage of dual processors.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
September 24, 2001 1:39:33 AM

The 1.53 dual athlon mp should spank the dual p4 2ghz xeons too!

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 24, 2001 6:54:14 AM

Sorry, but that is wrong. These Xeons will be based on the Northwood core, with improved FPU and cache.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
September 24, 2001 7:10:13 AM

Northwoods which we have no benchmarks on, and if dual 1.2ghz athlon mp's spank dual p4 1.7ghz xeons, then I doubt even northwoods rumored improvements can make up for the additional mhz on the mp side.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 24, 2001 7:12:54 AM

'Doubt' does not make a convincing argument. ;) 

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
September 24, 2001 12:40:21 PM

<font color=blue>"Im either looking at a duel athlon 1.2 ghz or a P4 1.7 ghz with RDRAM...price isnt much of a concern. Im looking for a system that will be used for mostly gaming and video editing (encoding) which is going to offer the best performance with minimal problems?"</font color=blue>

If price is not an issue, then go with the P4. You will have "minimal problems" and a lighter wallet.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
September 24, 2001 1:50:30 PM

Neither do benchmarks you cant show us Ray. ;-)

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 24, 2001 4:48:30 PM

Neither of you guys have half a leg to stand on, but any kind of Xeon has always been better than it's "corresponding" AMD. (That's in quotes because AMD doesn't really have a server chip. The MPs hardly count).

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>
September 24, 2001 7:29:36 PM

I will agree not to make claims based on my unreleasable benchmarks if you agree not to make claims based on your doubts and unreleasable information. Notice I only use such information in response to your own FUD.

-Raystonn

September 24, 2001 7:33:46 PM

Girls stop fighting.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
September 24, 2001 7:47:05 PM

not that im complaing but you guys are going off topic here. Im asking what is going to perform better for gaming and graphics with little conflicts. 2 1.2 Athlon MP's or a P4 1.7 with RAMBUS Ram.
September 24, 2001 7:49:03 PM

A stop to the pointless bickering is what I am aiming for, as my post states.

-Raystonn

September 24, 2001 7:51:03 PM

The Pentium 4 will perform better on applications and games that do not support multiple processors. (This is usually all games.) The Athlon processors will provide more power for those applications that support multiple processors. It depends on the applications you intend to run.

-Raystonn

September 24, 2001 8:21:20 PM

Don't forget that a dual mp setup is kindof pricey. It's almost the same as a p4. Do to the fact that only tyan makes dual mp boards. I have a dual mp setup and I love it. Give us a list of the games you plan on playing and a list of applications that you currently have or will get in the next 3 months. Then we could probably help you out more. Athlon mp's cost around 170 retail and the *good* tyan motherboard cost around 400. It requires a 460watt powersupply and has an enormous foot print 13x12". But it also has onboard ultra 160 scsi, two integrated 3com nics and integrated 4meg ati video that can be used in addition to an agp card for a dual monitor setup. I prefer dual cpu's. I don't know if the new MP's will be the same socket as the current ones, so I would ultimately choose your best upgrade path.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
September 24, 2001 10:41:37 PM

p4 is better in all games? do i need to provide a list to the contrary?
September 24, 2001 10:45:18 PM

No, because everyone will agree that a P4 1.7 will outperform a "single" AMD 1.2, seeing as most games aren't multi-proc enabled. Now, a single 1.4 will outperform a 1.7

September 25, 2001 5:47:21 AM

It isnt FUD, There are actual benchmarks showing dualie 1.2ghz athlonmp's spanking dual p4 1.7ghz xenons, but I agree, neither of us can compare unreleased products so I will withdraw my comment.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 25, 2001 5:49:53 AM

Yeah but the single 1.2 is an athlon MP, I would like to see some benchies showing the standard 1.2ghz athlonmp vs a 1.7ghz p4. (havent seen any non dualie comparisions of the two)

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 25, 2001 5:07:42 PM

True, true. That might give it the edge it needs.

September 25, 2001 6:08:16 PM

That may or may not be so. But it was not that to which I was replying. I was replying to this comment of yours: "The 1.53 dual athlon mp should spank the dual p4 2ghz xeons too!" Care to point a link to a benchmark for a P4 2GHz Xeon? ;) 

Anyway, you appear to have withdrawn the comment. If that is the case, I will just drop it.

-Raystonn

September 25, 2001 6:31:46 PM

Do you work for intel? Just curious. (not trying to troll or flame you)

September 25, 2001 6:35:19 PM

Click on my name. I work for Intel. Matisaro works for AMD.

-Raystonn

September 25, 2001 6:42:37 PM

Ok, i'm a dummy. I should have clicked on your name. Are you close enough to do reviews for THG or would you even want to if you were.

September 25, 2001 6:45:19 PM

While this would be fun, it would also be a conflict of interest. I make every effort to remain objective in my posts, but noone would believe that my benchmarks were fair if I were testing AMD processors against Intel processors. Likewise, the same would be said about an AMD employee.

-Raystonn

September 25, 2001 6:57:22 PM

Good point. (Fatburger notice i'm trying to always have the last word)

September 25, 2001 9:08:15 PM

Yeah, I noticed.

Why is it always the most objective (not objectionable) people that refuse to do reviews? Kind of like how it's the people who would make the best presidents that sometimes refuse to run (eg Colin Powell).
Oh well.

September 26, 2001 9:40:22 AM

LoL, I am branded an AMD employee and my objectivity is automatically revoked ;-).

As for my comment about the 1.53 dualies, I think that dualie 1.53 ghz athlon MP's should spank dual 2ghz p4 xenons seeing as the following things are true.

A. The 2ghz xeon I refered to was NOT northwood.(see my other post about intel releasing a 2ghz xeon which was not northwood)
B.The 1.2ghz athlonmp (dual)BEAT dual 1.7ghz p4 xeons in reviews.
C. BOTH chips gain ~300mhz, and since AMD is lower clocked it gains more per mhz than the p4 xeon. BUT EVEN IF IT DIDNT, if they both gained exactly the same amount of performance the dual 1.53ghz MP system would STILL spank the dual 2ghz xeon.

None of that is FUD, or baseless.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 26, 2001 2:31:09 PM

I would vote for collin powell if he ran for president.

September 26, 2001 3:06:52 PM

I didn't say you weren't objective, even though you aren't ;) 

And that's exactly what I'm talking about, Yahiko. He probably would've been the first black president, and would already be kicking Bin Laden's butt. Oh well, no big deal. I think Bush has done a really great job.

September 26, 2001 3:25:40 PM

Yeah, Bush is doing pretty good. Hey, you live in oregon, what did you think about those hippies running naked in the street? I think it's pretty stupid.

September 27, 2001 2:24:51 AM

Hippies are weird.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 27, 2001 5:32:38 PM

What hippies running naked in the street?

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
September 27, 2001 7:43:40 PM

I heard it on the radio. Some town in oregon starting with an "A" I believe. Can't remember any more.

September 27, 2001 9:15:01 PM

Umm...I can't think of any starting with an "A". Maybe Matisaro can.
Wait, I found what you're talking about. It's the last bit on <A HREF="http://www.oregonlive.com/edge/index.ssf?/edge/01/09/ed..." target="_new">this</A> page.

September 28, 2001 8:46:53 AM

I cant think of any towns starting with A either,....astoria?

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 28, 2001 12:12:44 PM

dont mind this post..just trying to get a new title..:) 

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
September 28, 2001 2:12:08 PM

:-(

theres a difference between filler posting and totally off topic title posting young man.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 28, 2001 3:46:50 PM

Agreed. If you don't have something to say, don't say anything at all.

!