Windows 7 screen flicker i have the answer

ella123

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
:hello: My screen was flickering every time I moved the cursor. It was really getting on my nerves. I tried the usual update drivers etc. Anyway, I seem to have resolved it by uninstalling adobe flash and Java.

I will reinstall them later, but maybe too many updates or something. NOT tech savvy, but just know this has worked to fix a really bad problem that made me want to throw my laptop out the window :cry:

Anyway hope this works and helps you too, as I see it's a problem for a lot of people. :bounce: I'm so happy to have got rid!!!

ella123

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I reinstalled Adobe Flash, but everytime I do the excessive flickering comes back??? I don't know what else to try.

I know I need Adobe flash for a lot of things (in fact I have a pop up bar on here just now telling me I need it), but I'd rather do without than have this constant flickering.

This is a really bad problem and constant too. I'll just need to install and remove adobe when necessary I suppose. Not ideal but at least it let's me use my computer without killing my eyes.

You would think considering the amount of years this has been going on for people (seen when looking for a solution) someone would have worked out how to fix it by now?????

ella123

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Hi Cyberat_88

I tried changing the resolution but to no avail, and it doesn't deal with the problem. I had this problem a very long time ago and can't remember if I fixed it, or it fixed itself. I've tried loads of things, but nothings working apart from uninstalling flash which isn't a permanent remedy by any means.

Flash is of course needed for a lot of other things sooooo I have to re-install it. I can't find a remedy anywhere on the net for it. I had a problem with my internet settings and that's when the problem started. Thank you so much for replying. I wonder if anyone will ever find a fix.

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with your browser crashing. I get a lot of ie not responding too, it drives me mad, although on saying that.......I've noticed a slight improvement recently for some reason???? Oh well computers...same as cars eh...great things when they're working well :D :lol:

ETA....I have an HP Presario, I think they are great laptops, my last one was an HP too. I think they run a good diagnostic tool service and maintenance program on their computers.

ETA again.....I just thought about something you said about types of computer having this problem....I'm wondering how can it be to do with certain makes of computer, if the problem goes when flash is removed???? Just a thought.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
HP & Dell make system specific chipsets which hinder compatibility, ex. buy my type of memory or else you cannot use it, thus the "brand names" considered reliable are in fact not, when software comes into interaction with their overall system design.
Have you tried changing mouse cursors ? Remove trails or shadow ? Change mouse acceleration speed ? Did you update Direct X ?

ella123

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Thanks for replying again Cy88 but I don't really know how to do the things you mention? I don't really understand what you mean. I don't know how to change cursor? If you have time you could maybe explain a bit more, if not thanks a lot for your time anyway.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Software assumes hardware is setup a certain way & is capable of the performance declared. However Adobe may not take into account all HW out on the market. To update Direct X, download it from the microsoft website & run the setup. It will update files as needed, may or may not help. Go to HP website & make sure all your drivers are up to date also.
You can also download the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 & 4 which may or may not have been installed with the OS.
It will not update automatically if it wasn't initially installed.

coyojosh

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Just rebuilt a Sony Vaio V505ECP and reinstalled WIN XP SP3. The whole time I was working on it the screen was flickering, but only the lower right 2/3 of it. Weird, right?
I went through the normal system checks and driver updates suspecting a bad Video card. Eventually I had to download and install all the backed up MS Updates. Upon reboot the flickering stopped.
The next morning I booted up and there's the flickering again! I noticed an update was waiting so installed it and rebooted. Flickering stopped again.
So, somehow updates waiting cause screen flickering . Can't find a permanent fix for that but at least I can stop it til the next update comes in.

Alpha Male

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015

My screen was flicking when I open my browser

I re-installed my sound card drivers, and the problem was fixed
( so weird )