flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hi,
since I won this Athlon 1.2 Ghz, I am seriously considering a Dualie system. Both processors won't be MP, but they will still fit onto teh mobo and work fine, right? Also, in 3D Studio Max, I haven't used a dual system, just a 1.2 Ghz. Would it be better to get a dual 1.2 Ghz system, or just a 1.4 Ghz Thunderbird? Which will perform better in other apps? Do modern games take advantage of dual processor capabilities by any chance?

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
no games i know of will support em. from what i've read from posts way back when from others. 2 regular t-birds SHOULD work, but they might not. and also neither amd or any dual mobo manufacturers support or recommend it. dual setups are pretty nice. the way i'd judge it is if you're going to be doing a lot of photoshop work, ae work, premier work, where you'll be adding effects and they need to be rendered right there, then a dual setup isn't a bad idea. but if you're working on something and going to set it to render out(eg. 3d animation, video clip). then i'd go with a single. you'll see about a 30-40% increase in general with dual cpus. i have a dual p3 850's. having trouble with the motherboard running all 5 pci slots. so i'm going to get a new palamino when they come out and keep this and send renders out to it.

ewww, put that thing away, you're in public!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
All programs benifit from dual cpus only in the fact that one cpu can handle the background os tasks, not much else, however it is a nice boost for those apps which actually use smp.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

pulse

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
All programs benifit from dual cpus only in the fact that one cpu can handle the background os tasks, not much else, however it is a nice boost for those apps which actually use smp.

true, but only if the OS supports a dualie setup....
98, ME DON'T....

to bad though... I really wanted a dualie system, but refuse to upgrade past 98se....

I would upgrade if I thought I was getting a solid product. :)

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

I´m not sure about this...
it will NOT give you twice the speed if you´re using MAX, trust me..I use MAX myself and I have tried a double processor setup, sure it´s faster, around 40% maybe, but not double, not by a long shot.
Furthermore, if you have a setup with 4 processors it would be 4 times faster then? not so.
around 60% more likely.

Su casa es mi casa

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Hey pulse, windows xp rocks, stable as hell and fast, im running it, the pro version supports dual cpus! I was running windows 98se and or ME(loved switching os's all the time heh) and I dont think I could ever go back.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I would upgrade if I thought I was getting a solid product. :)

Dude, are you living in the stoneage or what? Windows 2000 rocks. It's an awesome OS, stable as hell has a lot of support. You'd be hardpressed to find someone, who has actually used it, to say anything bad about it. Xp is supposed to be even better. So I think you need to kick the 98 habbit and get a real os instead of just a gui.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
::listens to the hunt for red october theme(russian national anthem) and envisions windows xp taking over the world even further::

The people who are against microsoft have good reason to, this OS is so good it would be very difficult to oust it on any front. Stability, its there in spades. Speed, this thing is running at warp 9 for me. Look, nice as hell, a good escape from bland old windows. Problems....none so far, my boot time is a tad high, but I think its my raid which is causing the ~20 second delay. (I installed it on a 750 I sold to a friend and it booted in less than 15 seconds....amazing. Watchout Apple, linux, beos, etc. There is a new big dog in town.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yahiko I have NEVER gotten windows 2000 pro to run stable on a machine. I've installed it on many different hard ware setups and each had the same end result, crap performance. Now on the other hand I've run Windows XP a few times and its great, I plan on buying it when its finally available.

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
-----------------------------------------------------------
2 regular t-birds SHOULD work, but they might not. and also neither amd or any dual mobo manufacturers support or recommend it
------------------------------------------------------------
Actually Amd demoed a dual stot 1 athlon setup way back when, but they never released the chipset. So they kind of unofficially anounced that athlons will run smp.

When I go into a computer store I lose all means of reason for some reason.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I actually have a tyan thunder k7 and it does NOT support tbirds. Will not post at all. As soon as i put an mp in it worked fine. I don't care what this site says. I couldn't get it to work. I even rma'd the board and got a new one. So I have tested this on two Tyan Thunder K7's and can tell you they don't support thunderbirds.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile: