lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
WARNING: Long Post.

My sister Fiance' just got a new computer. And want me to help deal with the problems. *rolls eyes* (would prefer to be stuffin around with my own system!)

to start with i would just like to state for the record that this computer was assembled by a bunch of ass-monkeys! really.
he got 1 casefan instead of 3, a crap coolermaster HSF instead of a winfop32-1, and the internal wiring looks like its been arranged by squirrels on smack.

*grin* moving on.....

Main Problem(s):
reading any data from cd burner cuazes windows errors and fatal exceptions etc.
dvd drive reading was a little better, howver attempting to reinstall win98 or 2k leads to lockups and lots of bluescreens.

system stuff:
athlon 1400C
coolermaster HSF
a7a266
1 x 265Mb PC2100 Kingmax DDR Cas2.5
netcom modem
SB live 5.1 digital
Herculees 4500 (KryoII 64Mb)
std keyboard + mouse
On ata100 cable:
Primary Master: IBM 60GXP 40Gb.
Primary Slave: Pioneer 116 DVD
On ata33 cable:
Secondary master: Ricoh 16x12x32x burner.
win98, win2k tried.

the hard drive was transfered accross from the old p2-300 system and thus still worked (sortof).
games could still be played and apps run, so long as u didnt need to read too much off the cd's.
The computer was running at 58C. warm i know, but it WAS quite stable. besides asap he will replace that coolermaster HSF.

other things i tried:

1. replacing both ata cables with one of my own that i knew worked well. no change.

2. setting all bios settings to conservative, i.e. cas2.5,3,3,7, agp2x, sideband off, precaching off etc etc. no change.

3.underclocking to 100mhz system bus (1050Mhz processor speed) no change.

4. complete removal of sb live & modem card. no change

5. reseated video card. no change.

6. checked ata connectors for damage, bad pins, drive for correct master/slave settigns. all a-ok.

hmms
really beginning to bug me.
it just wouldnt install windows. win98 just kept freezing during or soon after the scandisk. win2k gets up to 'loading windows2000' freezes for a little while, then bluescreens with a couple of different error messages (stop codes 1A, 7F and the invalid page in ntoskrnl.exe). i cant remember off had the exact messages, will find out when i go back)

only thing else i can try is an attempt to remove the IBM "dynamic drive overlay"... but i dont see how that could be an issue as ive already reformatted the drive and its being detected properly in the bios.
(the drive overlay was put on as the previous system's bios could not recognise drives over 33.8Gb).

any other suggestions?

P.S. according to him the first time he ever turned on this new system he just got a blank screen. the second time he got the blue screen. from then on it booted pretty much normally.

thanx in advance,
i wanna get back to my beast! im trying out some new rounded IDE cables :)

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Remove the drive overlay software. Remove all partitions using fdisk. Create 1 primary partition. Reformat the entire drive to ensure it works properly. Install Windows 2000 from the CD. If this does not eliminate the problem, check yoru memory settings. They may need to be toned down.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
lol yeah. i did mention i toned down all the settings, including memory. also, forgot to mention, i (briefly) tried the memory at quite aggressive settings i.e. 2,2,2,6 with fast and it seemed no different.

as for that drive overlay.
UGH.
it was a BEOTCH to put on and its being a right bigger BEOTCH to get off again *sighs*

thanx for the advice raystonn... have u ever heard of the drive overlay doing wierd stuff like this before?

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Yep.. it can be very nasty. You should be able to get rid of it by using fdisk to delete all partitions.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
actually... fdisk didnt!
i thought i could do that too. removed all the partitions then made 1 primary dos one. and it was still there!

have to use the Dynamic Drive overlay floppy. and it takes AGES cauze it checks the entire disk in detail.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Ugh. Perhaps your boot floppy has the drive overlay software on it.

-Raystonn

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
This probably is not the cause of your troubles but this will help performance and stability. GET THE DVD OFF THE SAME CHANNEL AS THE HDD, IT IS A SPEED KILLER!
Put the cd burner and dvd on secondary ide and leave the primary alone for your hdd.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~