4550 weird power on

Has anyone else run into a weird power on with their 4550?

Sometimes I press the power button and nothing happens. Then if I go
away and leave it, maybe as long as 4 hours later it will just turn on.

Ideas?

Thanks

Geoff

(BTW: it runs fine when its on, there is no abberant behaviour or errors
happening.

Not on either of mine. They work fine. Could be the button. Could be the
Power supply. Could be fate.

Tom
"Geoffrey Clarke" <blade@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Has anyone else run into a weird power on with their 4550?
>
> Sometimes I press the power button and nothing happens. Then if I go away
> and leave it, maybe as long as 4 hours later it will just turn on.
>
> Ideas?
>

> Thanks
>
> Geoff
>
> (BTW: it runs fine when its on, there is no abberant behaviour or errors
> happening.

And lo, there was a weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Sigh, I would love to figure this out. There is nothing on the Dell site
about this.

Tom Scales wrote:
> Not on either of mine. They work fine. Could be the button. Could be the
> Power supply. Could be fate.
>
> Tom
> "Geoffrey Clarke" <blade@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Has anyone else run into a weird power on with their 4550?
>>
>>Sometimes I press the power button and nothing happens. Then if I go away
>>and leave it, maybe as long as 4 hours later it will just turn on.
>>
>>Ideas?
>>

>>Thanks
>>
>>Geoff
>>
>>(BTW: it runs fine when its on, there is no abberant behaviour or errors
>>happening.

"Geoffrey Clarke" <blade@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Has anyone else run into a weird power on with their 4550?
>
> Sometimes I press the power button and nothing happens. Then if I go away
> and leave it, maybe as long as 4 hours later it will just turn on.
>
> Ideas?
>

> Thanks
>
> Geoff
>
> (BTW: it runs fine when its on, there is no abberant behaviour or errors
> happening.

Could be a spotty PS, mb, or even power switch connection - or that the
switch or PS connectors are a bit loose.

I would check the internal and external physical power connections to start,
as well as any UPS or surge protectors, as they are often overlooked as a
source of this kind of thing.

Stew

>Geoffrey Clarke blade@nbnet.nb.ca

>Has anyone else run into a weird power on with their 4550?

Not with my 4550 or 4600.

>Sometimes I press the power button and nothing happens. Then if I go
>away and leave it, maybe as long as 4 hours later it will just turn on.

How often is sometimes? Once every 10 attempts?

>Ideas?

I presume you've tried wiggling your fingertip while pressing on the power
button?

The next time it does it you might try lightly tapping on the power button (but
not hard enough to actually engage the switch). If it then comes on, I'd say
you have a defective switch.
--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the pros get their power!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

I have wiggled, poked tapped...and even threatened its family :)

Alan S. Wales wrote:
>>Geoffrey Clarke blade@nbnet.nb.ca
>

>>Has anyone else run into a weird power on with their 4550?
>

> Not with my 4550 or 4600.
>

>>Sometimes I press the power button and nothing happens. Then if I go
>>away and leave it, maybe as long as 4 hours later it will just turn on.
>

> How often is sometimes? Once every 10 attempts?
>

>>Ideas?
>

> I presume you've tried wiggling your fingertip while pressing on the power
> button?
>
> The next time it does it you might try lightly tapping on the power button (but
> not hard enough to actually engage the switch). If it then comes on, I'd say
> you have a defective switch.
> --
> "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
>
> See how the pros get their power!
> http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

So far it seems like the connections are good. Thanks for the idea though.