bentmelchior

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001
It sometimes seem funny to read the threads concerning muscle/cpu power. A lot of people out there still have 500mhz celly/k6-2. I´m pretty sure even a 1.3ghz on a 845mb would be quite an improvement.

My advice don´t forget what you are upgrading from, don´t let the mhz fight get the better of you.

One question....
Which cpu runs at the lowest temperature.
1.7ghz p4
1.4ghz t-bird
I live in a small room and all my gear is constantly turned on (tv-stereo-computer ect.) Every bit of lower temperature counts.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the P4 runs at lower temps with out the need for extravagant cooling solutions and has a beautiful thermal protection mechanism that will save your investment.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Last time I checked, the most I could gather was that the Athlon 1.33GHz (.18u) consumes slightly more power than the P4 1.7GHz (.18u). Even that was a rough guesstimate based on an nth-best-polynomial calculation--info was hard to get from either company at the time.

If you want low heat dissipation, I suggest you get a Pentium III. P4's and Athlons at .18u probably consume about the same amount of power to get the same amount of work done--whereas PIII's at .18u consume about half the wattage as an Athlon and only benchmark slightly worse, clock-for-clock. Tualatins should draw even less wattage.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

bentmelchior

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001
Iwas wondering if anyone has any comment to my statement, that the for most prople the ghz race is pure overkill..

Thx. for the info on temp...
I´m probably going to upgrade to an intel cpu of somekind.
P3/P4 ( and yes i´m sticking with sd-ram for now!!!!)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Get a 1ghz tbird, its temps are fine and wont overheat your room, and it will have tons of power. Your only other choice is a 1.3-4ghz p4(in the same heat range) and those chips both suck ass. AND cost twice as much.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

FatBurger

Illustrious
I recommend getting Tualatin or Northwood. Tualatin is out now, Northwood should be out soon. Both will generate less heat than an Athlon, or original P3/P4.

Most of us realize that MHz/GHz isn't the only measure of speed. That's ceased to be a debate point (thankfully). But the issue of Intel vs. AMD is something that rages on. Be careful, you don't want to step in the...

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

bentmelchior

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001
Do you know any sites i can find that says something about cpu temp...
(don´t say tom´s I´m not going to remove the heatsink) lol...

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Both Intel and AMD post datasheets about power consumption et al for their CPUs. Intel's datasheets are usually easy to find at <A HREF="http://support.intel.com/" target="_new">http://support.intel.com/</A> (you'll need Acrobat Reader), but AMD's datasheets have become rather harder to get lately. To get AMD's datasheets, you need two plugins--an Acrobat Reader plugin for your browser, then a SmartPDF plugin for Acrobat. Most of us (including me) already have the Acrobat plugin, but not the SmartPDF plugin; I for one really can't be arsed to go d/l another plugin right now. :tongue:

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I for one do not think it is overkill. While I do understand that MHz does not translate directly into usable speed, I need all the speed I can get. I'm running a 4 pass mpeg2 to mpeg4 conversion which can take up to 24hours of CPU time at 100% CPU load on a 1.3GHz for one 3 hour movie. More power Scotty!

bentmelchior

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001
My statement about overkill was obviously not intended for people who did mpeg4 conversion. I meant people doing word/outlook what ever.

I for one am totally hooked on power
"let the Mhz roll" (P4/t-bird)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
possibly.
pure Mhz for Mhz sake (dare i say p4 2Ghz) is a waste.

for those that just cruze the web, read emails, play a bit of music, write word documents, a 500 - 1000Mhz processor sould be more than adequate.

for high end apps and games though grunt is needed... and will continue to be needed as games increase in complexity and eye-candy volume :).

but yes... i think the Mhz race is/was a bit pointless

and intel intentionally designing a processor that runs faster but sacrifices efficency is not good design in my books.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The PIII 866 system:
SiSoft Sandra 2001 Performance Rating was 1020
Mad Onion 3D Mark 2001 was 1072

The P4 1.6 system:
SiSoft Sandra 2001 Performance Rating is 1914
Mad Onion 3D Mark 2001 is 1951

Which specific Sandra test is that?

FatBurger

Illustrious
There's two different CPU tests. I was wondering which is which. The top bar (without the pull-down menu next to it) is your score, the other four are the comparision scores.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Reference System: VIA KT133A/PC133 CL2 SDRAM
Int ALU/RAM Bandwidth: 507MB/s
Float ALU/RAM Bandwidth: 565MB/s

My results on a KT7a-RAID with generic PC133 CAS3 RAM are about 100 higher on each one. Sandra gives averages for some benchmarks, and maximums for others, it seems like.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I still have a PIII 800 and a TNT2 Ultra, which is posting 1700 2001 3d Marks. (With PC100 SDRAM). So it suits be well enough. Has served me well etc etc. All the same I almost feel attached to it. Will be sorrow to put it out to grass when that 2.2 GHz Northwood and a dual channel DDR solution comes along some time next year. (Please God)

But as a newly started Electronic Eng. Student, it me old system can't quite hack running some of the hard core simulation programmes.