win2k/2 CPU/50% consumption alltime..why?

got a system running under win2k (sp2) with 2 slot-1 p2 800's.
When the system is idle, one cpu is still always at 50% usage (looking at performance monitor).

There are no abnormal threads displayed from when the system worked properly.

I have seen this problem mentioned before but can't remember where it was.

So..can any1 indicate what might be plugging up 1 of the processors?
7 answers Last reply
More about win2k consumption alltime
  1. can't remember what the solution was before.

But if you look at the processes running.. what is
    the one that is taking 50% CPU?

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!
  2. That's just it..there is no process taking 50%
  3. performance monitor is an application isnt it, perhaps thats the rogue app???

::just guessing never used win2k::

~Matisaro~
    "The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
    ~Tbird1.3@1.5~
  4. Believe it or not, my friend with a Single Athlon had the SAME problem...it turned out to be a non-full install fo his sound card driver, was a fresh install pretty much anyways, so we just wipped out the system and re-installed W2K off the CD and DL'd all the NEWEST drivers off the net for everything, IDE, Via 4-in-1, Sound Card, (was a SB Live! BTW) and Video card, AGP Miniport etc...try it u never know.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr
    My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!
  5. with win2k its much easier to locate and terminate rogue apps. the task manager actually manages.
    not to mention alot less dodgy apps on win2k.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
  6. Are you using Asus BX borad by any chance?
  7. I know, im running xp, and I used ATM on winme(it was free and it never crashed on me, so I used it over 98se) anyways, ATM gave you increased tm functionality down to killing individual threads etc, it was a good proggie.

~Matisaro~
    "The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
    ~Tbird1.3@1.5~
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance