Sign in with
Your question

AMD gonna DIE!!!!!!!!

Last response: in CPUs
September 25, 2001 10:19:02 PM

LOL!

AMD seems to be losing more and more business these days. gateway just cut off AMD and AMD has cut 2300 jobs and closed 2 chip plants! lol doh!

Looks like I might not HAVE a choice but to buy intel next time i upgrade lol.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

More about : amd gonna die

September 25, 2001 10:22:29 PM

the factories arent producing and others are more efficient with new technologies, only an idiot (such as yourself it appears) wouldnt lay off workers not required to keep production at a required level.

if in doubt blame microsoft...
Related resources
September 25, 2001 10:28:27 PM

Here's an article quoted on <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com" target="_new">HardOCP</A>, although they don't give the source. Looks to be either Yahoo, Zdnet, or Cnet, although they hint it'll be on AMD's site soon.

Quote:
SUNNYVALE, CA-SEPTEMBER 25, 2001-AMD today announced it is accelerating key components of its strategy to reduce costs and enhance the financial performance of its core businesses. The company will close Fabs 14 and 15, two semiconductor wafer fabrication facilities (fabs) in Austin, Texas that primarily serve AMD's foundry operations. AMD will also reduce and restructure other manufacturing activities as well as administrative support associated with these facilities.

These changes will result in the reduction of approximately 2,300 positions, or approximately 15 percent of its worldwide workforce, by the end of the second quarter of 2002. Approximately 1,000 of these positions are associated with closing the fabs in Austin. The balance of the reductions will result from realigning and restructuring back-end activities in Penang, Malaysia. The company will provide severance packages and outplacement services to affected employees. "These actions will allow us to reduce costs without impairing our new product development activities in pursuit of long-term growth opportunities. We will focus our organization around our two most promising opportunities - flash memory devices and PC processors," said W.J. Sanders III, chairman and chief executive officer. "We will treat all employees affected by these actions with fairness and respect, consistent with our values and our commitment to our people."

Fabs 14 and 15 have a long history at AMD and are the company's oldest fabs. The two facilities were originally constructed in 1984 and 1985. AMD will take a one-time charge between $80 million and $110 million covering these restructuring activities and other special charges in the current quarter. When fully implemented, these actions are expected to result in an overall annual cost reduction of approximately $125 million.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>
September 25, 2001 10:45:23 PM

All I know is if Intel becomes the only chip producer, then I'll either not upgrade till a good intel processor comes out, or buy a silicon graphics supercomputer.

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac
September 26, 2001 12:30:22 AM

hey thanks for the article...

AMD gonna DIE because they are losing lots of business as Gateway has just announced they have cut off ties with amd and went to just Intel. A lot of Name brand venders are going that route. ...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
September 26, 2001 12:45:44 AM

You remember back in the mid to late 90's with the K6-2 and K6-3. AMD was doing alot worse than they are today... I guess my point is that AMD isn't going anywhere (i hope)

Blame the newbies not the technology
September 26, 2001 12:50:42 AM

BurgerDude

As much as you think of me as troll or Intel lover I would hate it if AMD went out of business. Clearly Intel would slow or stop progress if they had no one to spar with. A strong AMD is good for everyone including Intel heads.
September 26, 2001 1:10:48 AM

I agree, but if Intel decides to keep the new PIII and optimize it AMD might have some big time probs.. Competition definitly runs the industry.

September 26, 2001 1:14:14 AM

I don't want to really speculate, but this P3 may have a very tough challenge against the K8. Doesn't seem liek Intel will or should continue P3- after all, they want to sell P4.

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac
September 26, 2001 1:18:09 AM

Yeah I also heard the the PIII will be discontinued, too quick compared to the P4. I just can't wait to see what both companies come up with this time next year.

September 26, 2001 3:28:54 AM

LOL

What else does your crystal ball envision oh great seer of the future?

:>

Seriously though,

AMD isn't going out of business anytime soon.

Even with the loss of Gateway and IBM, AMD is expanding its base on notebook computers which, I might add, is a much more profitable segment for AMD right now (and for Intel too as well probably)

Of course, a billion dollars in cash on hand doesn't hurt.

LOL...I just can't stop laughing as your post really was hilarious!

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
September 26, 2001 3:37:28 AM

"Umana umana umana....I seeeee.......faster computers in the future....."
"What else can you tell me, o great see-er?"
"I see.......competition....."
September 26, 2001 5:30:10 AM

LOL really?

dont forget that intel is hurting alot too. The economic downturn is hurting both companies (take a look at their share prices)

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
September 26, 2001 6:11:35 AM

true, i am immature, but i have every right to be... and intel lost a decent amount to, amd have got to get their act together and release the athlon xp before it is too late

if in doubt blame microsoft...
September 26, 2001 9:00:10 AM

LoL amd is consolodating its manufacturing systems, Intel layed off more people than amd just recently, lol. You should try to read up on the industry before making really stupid comments.(note I did not call you stupid, merely your comment)
PS: amd just BOUGHT the fab I work at, they are expanding where it is smart to expand and shutting down its older fabs, amd makes more than athlons you know, they are part of fasl, the worlds leading flash memory producer, which is taking a pounding due to the industry right now.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 26, 2001 11:29:26 AM

""Umana umana umana....I seeeee.......faster computers in the future....."
"What else can you tell me, o great see-er?"
"I see.......competition.....""

I KNOW Skater!

You, sir, are NO Skater!

Back to you Skater!

September 26, 2001 1:41:58 PM

ya i know lol ... but! it still doesn't escape the fact businesses are going strait intel... gateway and ibm are huge losses... or not.. i don't know how many amd systems were bought daily ... amd has compaq and who else? i can't think of anyone else... if compaq drops amd too they are in the dust... what other major brand name is there? i can't think so...

September 26, 2001 1:49:34 PM

IBM was not a huge loss, gateway will sting, but it is only temporary, if AMD had 51% of the market they would have ditched intel, it is simple math. The industry is the worse its been ever, but it will recover eventually.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 26, 2001 2:32:05 PM

I wouldn´t underestimate the private consumer market. (futhermore who besides Gateway have chosen intel??)
As long as the price/performance keeps showing AMD as the winner I don´t see any reason to be afraid of an intel Monopoly.
If you look around The global economy is having some trouble do to the fact of the terroist bombing, maybe this is having influence on chip production as well.

I have to agree with the persons, who talk about making a more effective production.( AMD building a new factory and closing down old ones )

Finally I´m pretty sure whe won´t have seen the last of AMD. This is not a similar case to Nvidia/3dfx. AMD are quite good at making quality products.(3dfx was not, Ind the end though, all hail voodoo1 and voodoo2)

Ï may sound like an AMD fan but my next rig will be P4.
current rig.
Athlon classic 700mhz
aopen ak72
256mb pc133 cas2
8.6gb 7200rpm hd
geforce2 pro 32mb DDR

soon to come
1.7ghz P4
i845 mainbord
( the only reason for i845 is that the mainboard will be a transitional solution until the 845ddr is released or sis645)
September 26, 2001 3:04:26 PM

HP is still around. And don't forget places like Alienware and Falcon NW (I still can't believe they took out a full page in the back of the Tribes 2 manual! That couldn't have been cheap).
I'm sure there are more, but I forget.
Oh, and companies like Asus, that do notebooks but not desktops.

September 26, 2001 4:04:49 PM

ummm Was it that HP bought Compaq or compaq bought hp? i forget...

Still doesn't matter.. AMD has lost a lot of market share with IBM and Gateway gone... HP/compaq may drop amd next to and go strictly intel... we'll see what happens.. but unless AMD comes up with a killer product other than athlon xp, they are toast. AMD needs something, they need to pull a chip out of there butt! seriously ... with the poor computing market, companies going strictly intel to save money to stay alive amd will be left in the dark with only the power users with there flash lights to see amd.

thats how i see it. It's pretty clear that AMD MUST release a killer product. with tomshardware review of their chip smoking up doesn't help any by the way. right? it doesn't matter that you know the likely hood of your HS&Fan falling off is not likely but the average consumers hears that and thinks wow amd sucks and sees the P4 slow down and still work with no problems. Thats impressive... having your chip smoke up and damage your motherboard at what 300 degrees celsius is not impressive and pretty dam scary! 300 C! thats pretty dam hot! thats the reality of it. the consumers see that.

thats why AMD must release a killer product... or they are toast...

September 26, 2001 4:11:32 PM

I doubt they will be toast anytime soon. These companies need AMD around. If AMD went out of business(which they probably won't anytime soon) then Intel would start sucking majorly. Without any competition then They could raise there prices and put out sub par products and nobody would know. Don't tell they wouldn't. Intel is a very greedy company and already put's out subpar products and covers them up. The p4 is a classic example, the tually kicks major ass, why don't they produce that?? Oh yeah, it beats the sh|t out of their p4. They have the means to make good, inexpensive processors. They just won't until they have some real competition. I'm talking about AMD or another company taking Intels crown from them.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
September 26, 2001 4:19:37 PM

maybe ... No one is going to hold AMD and help them lol ... maybe chapter 11 will but lol ... who knows what will happen but fact still remains AMD needs a killer product to win back the market share they recently lost...

ya it's pretty sad the tully beats the p4 aint it!?

September 26, 2001 4:22:41 PM

I think that's what bugs me the most about Intel. It's not their super high prices as much as the way they like to screw the consumer. I know I'm going to get flamed, but really how can you say Intel doesn't screw their consumers?

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
September 26, 2001 4:39:52 PM

>but really how can you say Intel doesn't screw their consumers?

they don't it's really simple, over the years a lot of brainwashing by AMD zealots have got you thinking that Intel is evil.

Intel sells many cpu's at so many different price ranges, you can buy at anytime or not.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
September 26, 2001 5:38:20 PM

1. They cheaply increased the clock speed on chips, without the (assumed) increase in speed. This is purely marketing, and allows them to sell more chips at higher prices. Who loses? The ones buying P4 1.7 socket 423 i845 systems.

2. Since the Pentium/K-6 era, there have been 5 different Intel sockets/slots, compared to AMD's 2 (3 used, counting the K-6 that used Intel's socket).

3. The original P3 1.13 was released, and although very few customers actually got one, it was a big mistake and they balked at recalling it.

4. The i820 for SDRAM didn't work right. Instead of actually testing it before putting it on boards and giving it to customers, they decided to rush it out and had to recall it.

I think that's enough. Don't get me wrong, I like Intel. They've just made some bad choices that obviously continue to haunt them.
Notice I didn't get into any arguments about quality of processors. I prefer to leave that alone.

Is any company perfect? Not at all. You just asked for proof, I gave it.

September 26, 2001 8:25:42 PM

Actually, Skater,

AMD likely retained similar to 22% marketshare...no gains, but probably minimal loss in marketshare.

How can this be?

Because AMD's mobile chips didn't start selling in force until the beginning of the 3rd quarter. Yes, there was a trickle of notebooks, but nothing in force until the current quarter.

Compaq and Sony have recently expanded their AMD based computer lineups.

So, while some folks are disappointed by Gateway's decision, and while this decision might hinder AMD's marketshare increases, it will likely have minimum overall effect on AMD's total share.

I can't say for certain what AMD's overall marketshare will come out to at the end of this period, but, since AMD is currently producing and selling at or near capacity and in similar quantities to the last quarter, seems to me that there must be plenty of other companies increasing their AMD offerings.

Mark-

September 26, 2001 8:49:43 PM

Good job BurgerDude!

You made a good point without pissing anyone off...now if I could learn to do that...
September 26, 2001 8:57:47 PM

Hehehe
It's easy for me, I grew up with 3 sisters. Oh, the PMS...
Just kidding, they weren't bad to deal with at all. Except for the vicious lies they told me. Like how eating mold gives you leprosy. Or the time my sister said "Want to know how hail feels?" and I stupidly said "Ok!". She proceeded to pound my arm as hard as she could. Oh, the memories.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
September 26, 2001 9:02:36 PM

~ seems to me that there must be plenty of other companies increasing their AMD offerings ~

There are several companies, of which many are in the Peoples Republic of China. The PRC can't afford to waste money on Intel but they sure can buy a LOT of AMD chips.

Also AMD is very popular in Germany due to their investment in the Dresden fab.

The US is a very important market, but it is not the only one. Growing countries like the PRC with 20% of the worlds population can be very fruitful especially with the US economy being so weak.

<font color=blue> The Revolution starts here... as soon as I finish my coffee </font color=blue> :eek: 
September 27, 2001 12:23:59 AM

Are you stupid? Without AMD's competition you will be paying twice as much for an inferior CPU. And you feel SO HAPPY about that!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2001 1:20:22 AM

Well non of us can say we never saw this coming the economic condition as it is, and the price gouging by both companies. AMD is starting to show wear and tear and so is Intel but Intel can continue to operate at a loss far longer than AMD can. You all know I am not fond of AMD but I really hope they don’t go out of business. Because then I won’t have no one to bug other than those silly MAC users.

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol: 
September 27, 2001 1:44:27 AM

Spud that is only true if the loss is equal, if both companies lost 500000 a quarter then yes intel would last longer, however, intel is a much larger company, which a MUCH larger quarterly expendeture. If both companies lost a similar % of profit per quarter intel would wind up losing more than amd. Amd is a smaller company with less overhead and more ability to trim, this is an advantage right now in this market.

Skater, amd has a killer lineup,pretty much equal performance to the fastest intel chip for about 460 less, that is amazing. Hammer and barton will only up the ante.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 27, 2001 8:42:03 AM

If you dont think the athlon xp will help, then you must really think the current p4 sucks, seeing as the 1.5ghz athlon xp will spank the 2ghz p4. For probably 300 less no less.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 27, 2001 8:54:13 AM

Say it ain't so. If AMD falls it won't be good for anyone, even Meltdown. The price of his precious P4's will actually go up a few dollars if Via/Cyrix is the only competition. An Apple may even become a possibility. Well maybe not.
September 27, 2001 9:45:26 AM

I don't trust AMD for quality after that video i saw when you remove the heatsink from the CPU.
Now i even love the P4 better.
The AMD processors are great but i would rather go with the Intel processors.
One thing though is that i hope AMD doesn't die so Intel will be under pressure to make their products cheaper and new technologies. Just hope The Pentium out perform the Athlons.
Also, im laughing like hell about how AMD is naming the new cpu Athlon XP.
Jeez, come on. What cheap asses. This will only make AMD claming to copy Microsoft.

GamerzCitadel.com
September 27, 2001 10:58:35 AM

Alot of things use copy names, many mac software is called 10 now, and many new windows software will be called whatever xp. it is nothing new.

As for not trusting intels quality after the heatsink demo, LOL, if I have a car with airbags which was rated best in its class for saftey and then I run it off a damn cliff to test that, the car will fail no matter how safe. Only a moron would remove the heatsink off of a running cpu, and only a moron would run a car off a cliff to test the airbag.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 27, 2001 12:27:57 PM

Since AMD has about the same amount of cash on hand..relatively speaking, to Intel (maybe more by now at Intels cash burn rate) it's very doubtful AMD will be in financial difficulty any time soon. In fact, based on Intels burn rate for the first half of this year, I would say Intel is heading for financial problems sooner than AMD. In fact, now that AMD closed those two outdated fabs, AMD's balance sheets should look even better going forward.

Mark-

September 27, 2001 12:34:51 PM

Just to clarify for folks who will misread my post..

At the end of last year Intel had around 12 billion in cash on hand.

AMD has 1 billion

At the end of the 2nd quarter this year, Intel had between 8 and 9 billion in cash on hand...or less

AMD had 900 million and change

work the numbers, figuring on a continued decline in cash on hand similar to the previous 6 months...Intel will run out of cash within 12 months

AMD will be fine for 2 years.

Of course, cash burn varies from quarter to quarter AND AMD has just taken a 100+ million one time charge for the plant closures (which actually might help their numbers, by the way, depending on how they work it in)

I'll be surprised if Intel has even 7 billion in cash on hand, while AMD will likely have around 700 million or so.... Still, 300 million in 9 months is much better rate than 5 billion in 9 months.

Suffice to say, I have no concerns that AMD is having financial difficulties to the extent of going out of business anytime soon.

Mark-

September 27, 2001 12:55:12 PM

doesn't matter ... consumers look at mhz not performance. right? it's the price that is more attractive. Plus the athlon 4 or xp has been beaten enough i think all the hype and hoopla is non existent... amd delayed it way too long i think...

September 27, 2001 1:24:54 PM

let me explain things to you so you will understand and be happy.

CPU demand is low. When it picks up... The gateways of the world will re-add there athlon lines to meet demand...

the killer CPU u are talking about is called HAMMER... its sampling now. and its a beast... Its has 2 athlons fused at the core in a smt ... 64 bit registers ...SSE and SSE2 support as well as a on-die memory controller to reduce latencies to nill and support DDR 333 RAM...

AMD is building and buying new fabs... and it closes 2 fabs it doesnt need for its future business model and u call that a negative.... if u got 2 ok girls u mess with and u dump them for 4 sexy hot model babes..... is that a neagative?

and the article on CPU's burning on TOMS HARDWARE.... goto BEST BUY and ask every person shopping in the PC section " HAVE U HEARD OF TOMS HARDWARE" bet it takes u all day to find 3 people who do
September 27, 2001 1:51:41 PM

Everyone's intimidated by it....you know......*whispers* the hammer.....

ITS THE NAME, If you make fun of it it will kick the @#&% out of you...lol j/k heh heh

But seriously hamemr will be good....and everyone nkows it, and there just scarred to admit it... =)

I remember before the Athlon came out, before it was called the Athlon, it was referred to as the K7......everyone said that they would never buy a K6-2 or K6-3...they'll wait till the K7, cuz its the only CPU thats a REAL CPU coming from AMD, and they figured it would be a bit worse than a equal Intel CPU......what happened ?? It BEET THE HELL out of ANY Intel chip......
Hell I remember all those THG articles about the Athlon when it first came out, and the Krotech units.....
Tom said it would take a P3 at 1200MHz to BEST a Athlon Classic Slot A @ 650MHz in 3D Studio MAX.....those were the days......now look at whats happeend since ?? AMD has been Intel's number 1 enemy and #1 competitor and its been GREAT for the market....2 years ago we would still be with liek a 600MHz PIII......and that woudl cost u a good $800 if there was no competition from AMD.......u can NOW pick up a nice 1.4GHz T-Bird that comes with a 3g tube of Arctic Silver II for $199.99 Canadian......
and its not just the CPU's the go down in price from the Processor competition, other markets liek Video Cards...Ati Vs. nVidia........Hard Drives.....I boguht a Seagate Barracuda IV 40GB 7200 RPM drive for $179.99 Canadian.....
man, i payed more than that for my 6.4GB Quantum drive just over 2 years ago.......

Anyways.......yea.......its all good.......

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!
September 27, 2001 2:02:08 PM

Ars Technica did a review on the "upcoming" k7 core giving it tons of praise, but they said its core size was large and it would cost way more than intel, LOL, were they ever wrong.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 27, 2001 2:10:06 PM

MORE than wrong.....

In Canadian Dollars:

Intel Pentium 4 - 2.0-GHz (Socket 478) (OEM) w/ Heat Sink & Fan $964.99

AMD Athlon 1.4-GHz @ 133/266Mhz (Socket A) 256k OEM & Arctic Silver II (3g Tube) FREE $199.99

Thats from https://shop.pccanada.com/sp_cpu2.shtml

Unbelieveable...whats that ??? 3½ times the price ??!??
Gesh....

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!
September 27, 2001 2:36:20 PM

let me explain this so you'll be happy ... if i make cpu's and no one buys them, then i lose money. If i have little money, then i can't make any cpu's. is that clear to you? or do i have to speak baby talk instead of logic?

so what is the probability(staying alive when no one is buying your products)? well lets denote F to equal I make cpu's, Let E = no one buys them, D = i have money. We know that P(E Intersects F) = NOT D, and P(NOT D) = NOT F,

well if we denote S to be the sample space of 100 percent of the chips. I make 100 percent of those 100% being made.. now we calculate the probability of no one buying any chips of mine... P(US in a recession Intersects Poor cpu market Intersects I lost vendors to sell my products) .. lets see here this can be brokin up P(US in a recession) x p(Poor cpu market) x P(I lost vendors to sell my products)

now lets calculate the probability of US being in a recession ... which equals 1 (for true) because it is... now lets calculate the probability of a poor cpu market.... hey look at that thats 1 also... now lets calculate the probability of me losing some groups to even sell my products... now i lost gateway .. hey thats a one... ... now lets do the mulitplying of the probability ... 1 x 1 x 1 ... ummm let me think here 1 x 1... ummmm shoot... *gets out handy calculater* ... ok it says 1... now do 1 x 1 again ... *punches in the numbers* ahh 1... so the probability of P(staying alive when no one is buying your products) = 1 ...

lol like do i have to speak baby talk now? goo goo ga ga gee goo... lol ... like dude follow logic it helps... if i get stabbed, then i'm hurt.. right? lol or is it that.. well if you consider where he was stabbed .... ahhh it doesn't matter lol he was still hurt! lol thats insane you can't think like that... so follow logic it will help a lot especially when drawing to conclusions... :) 

September 27, 2001 4:19:53 PM

you forgot to include RMAs. AMD has 100% more than Intel.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
!