Homebrew Campaign Setting - Remastered

Last response: in Video Games
April 12, 2005 1:36:03 PM

I am currently working on my homebrew campaign setting. I'm planning on
creating a "bible" for my players. Something akin to the Forgotten Realms
Hardcover, or a Player's Handbook specific to my setting. I have plans to
include, calendars, the dating system, profiles of divine beings, house
ruled spells, the races of my world, and so on.

I love to write fiction, and I've been working with this setting for at
least 13 years now. As a massive undertaking I converted it to 3.0 but 3.5
came out and I started the second conversion, and updated to include certain
races that have appeared in published materials that I liked.

I never go straight by the book when looking at races and classes when I'm
trying to fit them into my world. By the book is nice in a generic setting
(such as the one assumed by the PHB, DMG, and MM core books), and certain
premade settings.

So I've come up with a few things, I don't expect people to want this
information but I do plan on having a version available on my website when I
finish it. I just was wondering if it would be out of the question to bounce
a couple of ideas off the group.

I've been here for a few years, throwing a post in every so often but mostly
lurking. I only ask because I see a lot of people here who seem to be able
to offer many different opinions on world building stuff.

To end this post now, I'll give one tidbit about the world.
No "native" gnomes inhabit my world. In the first 100 years of the planes
existence Gnomes did indeed live. They were a sorry lot, forced into slavery
by advanced Lizard Folk. The Gnomes took the ultimate step after decades of
slavery. The gnomes gathered as many of their kind as they could muster and
pleaded to the gods for a means to end their suffering.

The gods answered by transforming them into dwarves, stocky fighters capable
of finally fighting their captors and escaping into the world as "free men."

One aspect of that is noted in "Tall skies" Dwarves. The "Tall skies"
dwarves are small and extremely thin. They have a natural talent for
illusionary magics, and some have innate spell casting abilities. (Zero
levels, and minor illusions) The "Tall skies" dwarves are stunned from the
majority of the dwarven nations. They are the only dwarves that skill have
some connection to their "gnomish" past. They give up a lot of the dwarven
racial abilities but gain some gnomish qualities, and an attack bonus to
combating Lizard Folk. The Lizard folk know the "Tall skies" are responsible
for their downfall and still hunt them to this day.

DA
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 9:09:12 PM

Decaying Atheist wrote:

> So I've come up with a few things, I don't expect people to want this

> information but I do plan on having a version available on my website
when I
> finish it. I just was wondering if it would be out of the question to
bounce
> a couple of ideas off the group.

Perfectly appropriate.

> To end this post now, I'll give one tidbit about the world.
> No "native" gnomes inhabit my world. In the first 100 years of the
planes
> existence Gnomes did indeed live. They were a sorry lot, forced into
slavery
> by advanced Lizard Folk. The Gnomes took the ultimate step after
decades of
> slavery. The gnomes gathered as many of their kind as they could
muster and
> pleaded to the gods for a means to end their suffering.
>
> The gods answered by transforming them into dwarves, stocky fighters
capable
> of finally fighting their captors and escaping into the world as
"free men."

Do the dwarves have their own gods? Did the gnomes?

> One aspect of that is noted in "Tall skies" Dwarves. The "Tall skies"

> dwarves are small and extremely thin. They have a natural talent for
> illusionary magics, and some have innate spell casting abilities.
(Zero
> levels, and minor illusions) The "Tall skies" dwarves are stunned
from the
> majority of the dwarven nations. They are the only dwarves that skill
have
> some connection to their "gnomish" past. They give up a lot of the
dwarven
> racial abilities but gain some gnomish qualities, and an attack bonus
> combating Lizard Folk. The Lizard folk know the "Tall skies" are
responsible
> for their downfall and still hunt them to this day.

Are the lizard folk still advanced? I'd be interested in your write-up
on them. Are they the dominant race on your world?

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

Decaying Atheist wrote:

> So I've come up with a few things, I don't expect people to want this

> information but I do plan on having a version available on my website
when I
> finish it. I just was wondering if it would be out of the question to
bounce
> a couple of ideas off the group.

It's definatly on toppic, and it's always nice to see more that
actually has something to do with D&D. And this is Wild Wild Usenet,
no need to ask permission to do just about anything.

- Justisaur.
April 13, 2005 7:53:58 PM

"Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Decaying Atheist wrote:
>
>> So I've come up with a few things, I don't expect people to want this
>
>> information but I do plan on having a version available on my website
> when I
>> finish it. I just was wondering if it would be out of the question to
> bounce
>> a couple of ideas off the group.
>
> It's definatly on toppic, and it's always nice to see more that
> actually has something to do with D&D. And this is Wild Wild Usenet,
> no need to ask permission to do just about anything.
>
> - Justisaur.

You, see I understand that. I've been on Usenet for quite awhile, but I'm
also one of those "mysterious" polite posters. I always try to make sure
what I'm going to do offends the least number of people. I'm starting to
wonder if there really is a place for someone like me on Usenet.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:32:02 PM

Decaying Atheist wrote:
> "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Decaying Atheist wrote:
>>

>>>So I've come up with a few things, I don't expect people to want this
>>
>>>information but I do plan on having a version available on my website
>>
>>when I
>>
>>>finish it. I just was wondering if it would be out of the question to
>>
>>bounce
>>
>>>a couple of ideas off the group.
>>
>>It's definatly on toppic, and it's always nice to see more that
>>actually has something to do with D&D. And this is Wild Wild Usenet,
>>no need to ask permission to do just about anything.
>>
>>- Justisaur.
>

> You, see I understand that. I've been on Usenet for quite awhile, but I'm
> also one of those "mysterious" polite posters. I always try to make sure
> what I'm going to do offends the least number of people. I'm starting to
> wonder if there really is a place for someone like me on Usenet.

Sounds like the two of us need to stick together. :-)

-Tialan
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:11:04 AM

Decaying Atheist wrote:

> You, see I understand that. I've been on Usenet for quite awhile, but I'm
> also one of those "mysterious" polite posters. I always try to make sure
> what I'm going to do offends the least number of people. I'm starting to
> wonder if there really is a place for someone like me on Usenet.

No, quit being timid. What else is the newsgroup for except throwing ideas about
D&D around? :)

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Asatoma sat gamaya, tamasoma jyotir gamaya, mrityorma anritam gamaya.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:07:11 AM

Christopher Adams <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> What else is the newsgroup for except throwing ideas about D&D around?

Heh.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

<madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Finally getting back to this. Sorry about the delay but I got caught
up in World of Warcraft,
Empire Earth 2, the Warforged Thread, and real life events.

>> The gods answered by transforming them into dwarves, stocky
>> fighters
> capable
>> of finally fighting their captors and escaping into the world as
> "free men."
>
> Do the dwarves have their own gods? Did the gnomes?

It is a important note to mention that until that point there were no
native dwarves,
and any dwarves that managed to arrive from some other place were seen
as
bad omens due to their inability to speak any of the common tongues.
Almost
all the natives of the world capable of speech are able to at least
speak one of
common tongues. There are four major common togues and many different
minor
commons. I won't go into the minor commons except for two of some
importance.

Major Commons:

Root: Very basic, the first language that almost all children are
taught,

Middle-voice: the next level of common, the basic trade language
between societies
that do not share any other common language.

Trade Common: Yet another version of common that is trade related
this language is used by 90% of the world but only for trade ventures.
To use trade
common in every day language is considered an insult to both parties.

High Common: The standard speaking language used by the general
population
for almost all occasions. Trade and holy rituals are two occasions
where this
common tongues isn't used.

Two Minor Commons of some importance:

Ceremonial Common : A version of common used in rituals & ceremonies
when
the languages of the upper and lower planes are not used. It is
interesting to note
that Divine common does not differ when used in good or evil churches.
The
difference is what other language is used with Divine Common.
Infernal, Celestial,
Abyssal, Draconic, etc.

Royal Common: A semi-secret language filled with slang and off color
phrases. It is called Royal Common, as somewhat of a slap against the
ruling nobility of some countries.

Up until the point where the gnomes made their last ditch effort by
praying,
there was only a single gnomish god. Mostly he ignored his creations
in
favor of attempting to create a better race. He saw the gnomes as a
failure.
Most often the gnomes avoided worship, instead devoting much of their
time
to slaving away for the Lizard Folk and working on their inbred
illusionary
gifts.

The Dwarves adopted the old gnomish god, but shaped him in the imagine
they saw fit. As time went on, new gods were added to the Dwarven
heavens. These gods were often gods from other races, twisted and
tweaked until they fit the Dwarven Ideals.

> Are the lizard folk still advanced? I'd be interested in your
> write-up
> on them. Are they the dominant race on your world?
>
> --
> Jay Knioum
> The Mad Afro

There are three distinct types of lizard folk in my world, once I get
them
statted properly I'll be sure to put them up for viewing. I do have a
small
write about each of them, and haven't really used them in any of my
games
because the players have not gone anywhere near their current homes.
Most
information I can supply about races, etc has not been fully
incorperated
into the new mechanics of the game. These are basic ideas that I'm
trying to
rework until they can fit well enough into the 3.5 system. A system I
enjoy
a lot, for me at least it feels better trying to run a game in this
edition,
unlike my 2nd edition, and basic D&D experiences. The names are
subject to
change as I come up with ones that are more approperiate to my
setting.

"Flame Tongues" - "Master Race" The flame tongues believe they are the
master race, the first race that all other races came from. They have
recorded history that seems to date from before the creation of the
world.
Flame tongues are menancing brutes standing 8 1/2 - 10 feet tall. They
are
covered in highly polished scales that catch the sun's rays at very
odd
angles producing a strange colored "aura" around them. They are the
only
lizard folk race that still has the capacity to breathe "fire," like
the
"Scaled Masters." Their breath weapon is very weak (2d4 fire damage
1/week)
and causes damage to themselves (1/2 damage dealt, Fort Save (Save DC
is
still in question) for 1/4 of total damage.) One in two hundred
thousand
FT's have a more advanced breath weapon, although it does not do any
more
damage, their internal workings are in a configuration that allows
them to
breath without causing damage to themselves. Most Flame Tongues are
lazy
and violent, expecting things to be done for them based solely on
their
status as "Higher Beings." For the most part, very few people ever see
Flame Tongue as they spend most of their lives sheltered away in their
massive windowless black iron castles. They use slaves, and the lesser
lizard folk to carry out their plans while they reap all the benefits.
While
not the brightest of the lizard folk, they are considered the rulering
class.

Class Breakdown: While a flame tongue has the capacity to be almost
any
class, most take to professions that require little or no formal
training.
They also seek classes in which they can use their innate strength to
bully
their way to the top in any given situation. Wizards are almost
unheard of
in Flame tongue settlements, but sorcery is a common practice (many
flame
tongues seem to have at least a few levels in sorceror.) Favored
Class:
Barbarian

Possible Stat mods (Unbalanced so far, and needs to be worked on) +8
str, +2
dex, - 4 int, -2 wis, + 6 cha: Flame Tongues are extremely strong and
somewhat agile. Most lack proper educations or anything to stimulate
their
minds, the few scholars that know of them fear the day, they actually
take
to book learning. The Flame Tongue mindset does not allow for much
introspection or even care for the use of common sense. Their sheer
size,
their feats of strength, and their resembalance to the "Scaled
Masters"
gives them ample reason for an arrogant personality that acts like a
lightning rod for other lizard folk.

I'll stop right there as this post is getting quite large.

DA
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:27:44 AM

"Tialan" <shalahhr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Decaying Atheist wrote:
>> "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>when I

>>>bounce

>>>It's definatly on toppic, and it's always nice to see more that
>>>actually has something to do with D&D. And this is Wild Wild
>>>Usenet,
>>>no need to ask permission to do just about anything.
>>>
>>>- Justisaur.
>>

>> You, see I understand that. I've been on Usenet for quite awhile,
>> but I'm
>> also one of those "mysterious" polite posters. I always try to make
>> sure
>> what I'm going to do offends the least number of people. I'm
>> starting to
>> wonder if there really is a place for someone like me on Usenet.
>
> Sounds like the two of us need to stick together. :-)
>
> -Tialan

When I first started out, I came into a few groups guns blazing and
ended
up making an ass out of myself. I still do that sometime but I do
attempt
to be more considerate.

DA
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:28:02 AM

"Christopher Adams" <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
> Decaying Atheist wrote:
>>
>> You, see I understand that. I've been on Usenet for quite awhile,
>> but I'm
>> also one of those "mysterious" polite posters. I always try to make
>> sure
>> what I'm going to do offends the least number of people. I'm
>> starting to
>> wonder if there really is a place for someone like me on Usenet.
>
> No, quit being timid. What else is the newsgroup for except throwing
> ideas about D&D around? :)
>
> --
> Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
> What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
> don't you understand?
> http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigec...
> http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatel...

Done and Done.