Homebrew Campaign Setting - Remastered

I am currently working on my homebrew campaign setting. I'm planning on
creating a "bible" for my players. Something akin to the Forgotten Realms
Hardcover, or a Player's Handbook specific to my setting. I have plans to
include, calendars, the dating system, profiles of divine beings, house
ruled spells, the races of my world, and so on.

I love to write fiction, and I've been working with this setting for at
least 13 years now. As a massive undertaking I converted it to 3.0 but 3.5
came out and I started the second conversion, and updated to include certain
races that have appeared in published materials that I liked.

I never go straight by the book when looking at races and classes when I'm
trying to fit them into my world. By the book is nice in a generic setting
(such as the one assumed by the PHB, DMG, and MM core books), and certain
premade settings.

So I've come up with a few things, I don't expect people to want this
information but I do plan on having a version available on my website when I
finish it. I just was wondering if it would be out of the question to bounce
a couple of ideas off the group.

I've been here for a few years, throwing a post in every so often but mostly
lurking. I only ask because I see a lot of people here who seem to be able
to offer many different opinions on world building stuff.

To end this post now, I'll give one tidbit about the world.
No "native" gnomes inhabit my world. In the first 100 years of the planes
existence Gnomes did indeed live. They were a sorry lot, forced into slavery
by advanced Lizard Folk. The Gnomes took the ultimate step after decades of
slavery. The gnomes gathered as many of their kind as they could muster and
pleaded to the gods for a means to end their suffering.

The gods answered by transforming them into dwarves, stocky fighters capable
of finally fighting their captors and escaping into the world as "free men."

One aspect of that is noted in "Tall skies" Dwarves. The "Tall skies"
dwarves are small and extremely thin. They have a natural talent for
illusionary magics, and some have innate spell casting abilities. (Zero
levels, and minor illusions) The "Tall skies" dwarves are stunned from the
majority of the dwarven nations. They are the only dwarves that skill have
some connection to their "gnomish" past. They give up a lot of the dwarven
racial abilities but gain some gnomish qualities, and an attack bonus to
combating Lizard Folk. The Lizard folk know the "Tall skies" are responsible
for their downfall and still hunt them to this day.

DA
9 answers Last reply
More about homebrew campaign setting remastered

    Decaying Atheist wrote:

    > So I've come up with a few things, I don't expect people to want this

    > information but I do plan on having a version available on my website
    when I
    > finish it. I just was wondering if it would be out of the question to
    bounce
    > a couple of ideas off the group.

    Perfectly appropriate.

    > To end this post now, I'll give one tidbit about the world.
    > No "native" gnomes inhabit my world. In the first 100 years of the
    planes
    > existence Gnomes did indeed live. They were a sorry lot, forced into
    slavery
    > by advanced Lizard Folk. The Gnomes took the ultimate step after
    decades of
    > slavery. The gnomes gathered as many of their kind as they could
    muster and
    > pleaded to the gods for a means to end their suffering.
    >
    > The gods answered by transforming them into dwarves, stocky fighters
    capable
    > of finally fighting their captors and escaping into the world as
    "free men."

    Do the dwarves have their own gods? Did the gnomes?

    > One aspect of that is noted in "Tall skies" Dwarves. The "Tall skies"

    > dwarves are small and extremely thin. They have a natural talent for
    > illusionary magics, and some have innate spell casting abilities.
    (Zero
    > levels, and minor illusions) The "Tall skies" dwarves are stunned
    from the
    > majority of the dwarven nations. They are the only dwarves that skill
    have
    > some connection to their "gnomish" past. They give up a lot of the
    dwarven
    > racial abilities but gain some gnomish qualities, and an attack bonus
    > combating Lizard Folk. The Lizard folk know the "Tall skies" are
    responsible
    > for their downfall and still hunt them to this day.

    Are the lizard folk still advanced? I'd be interested in your write-up
    on them. Are they the dominant race on your world?

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    Decaying Atheist wrote:

    > So I've come up with a few things, I don't expect people to want this

    > information but I do plan on having a version available on my website
    when I
    > finish it. I just was wondering if it would be out of the question to
    bounce
    > a couple of ideas off the group.

    It's definatly on toppic, and it's always nice to see more that
    actually has something to do with D&D. And this is Wild Wild Usenet,
    no need to ask permission to do just about anything.

    - Justisaur.

    "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > Decaying Atheist wrote:
    >
    >> So I've come up with a few things, I don't expect people to want this
    >
    >> information but I do plan on having a version available on my website
    > when I
    >> finish it. I just was wondering if it would be out of the question to
    > bounce
    >> a couple of ideas off the group.
    >
    > It's definatly on toppic, and it's always nice to see more that
    > actually has something to do with D&D. And this is Wild Wild Usenet,
    > no need to ask permission to do just about anything.
    >
    > - Justisaur.

    You, see I understand that. I've been on Usenet for quite awhile, but I'm
    also one of those "mysterious" polite posters. I always try to make sure
    what I'm going to do offends the least number of people. I'm starting to
    wonder if there really is a place for someone like me on Usenet.

    Decaying Atheist wrote:
    > "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Decaying Atheist wrote:
    >>

    >>>So I've come up with a few things, I don't expect people to want this
    >>
    >>>information but I do plan on having a version available on my website
    >>
    >>when I
    >>
    >>>finish it. I just was wondering if it would be out of the question to
    >>
    >>bounce
    >>
    >>>a couple of ideas off the group.
    >>
    >>It's definatly on toppic, and it's always nice to see more that
    >>actually has something to do with D&D. And this is Wild Wild Usenet,
    >>no need to ask permission to do just about anything.
    >>
    >>- Justisaur.
    >

    > You, see I understand that. I've been on Usenet for quite awhile, but I'm
    > also one of those "mysterious" polite posters. I always try to make sure
    > what I'm going to do offends the least number of people. I'm starting to
    > wonder if there really is a place for someone like me on Usenet.

    Sounds like the two of us need to stick together. :-)

    -Tialan

    Decaying Atheist wrote:

    > You, see I understand that. I've been on Usenet for quite awhile, but I'm
    > also one of those "mysterious" polite posters. I always try to make sure
    > what I'm going to do offends the least number of people. I'm starting to
    > wonder if there really is a place for someone like me on Usenet.

    No, quit being timid. What else is the newsgroup for except throwing ideas about
    D&D around? :)

    --
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
    What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

    Asatoma sat gamaya, tamasoma jyotir gamaya, mrityorma anritam gamaya.

    Christopher Adams <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote:
    > What else is the newsgroup for except throwing ideas about D&D around?

    Heh.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    <madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    Finally getting back to this. Sorry about the delay but I got caught
    up in World of Warcraft,
    Empire Earth 2, the Warforged Thread, and real life events.

    >> The gods answered by transforming them into dwarves, stocky
    >> fighters
    > capable
    >> of finally fighting their captors and escaping into the world as
    > "free men."
    >
    > Do the dwarves have their own gods? Did the gnomes?

    It is a important note to mention that until that point there were no
    native dwarves,
    and any dwarves that managed to arrive from some other place were seen
    as
    bad omens due to their inability to speak any of the common tongues.
    Almost
    all the natives of the world capable of speech are able to at least
    speak one of
    common tongues. There are four major common togues and many different
    minor
    commons. I won't go into the minor commons except for two of some
    importance.

    Major Commons:

    Root: Very basic, the first language that almost all children are
    taught,

    Middle-voice: the next level of common, the basic trade language
    between societies
    that do not share any other common language.

    Trade Common: Yet another version of common that is trade related
    this language is used by 90% of the world but only for trade ventures.
    To use trade
    common in every day language is considered an insult to both parties.

    High Common: The standard speaking language used by the general
    population
    for almost all occasions. Trade and holy rituals are two occasions
    where this
    common tongues isn't used.

    Two Minor Commons of some importance:

    Ceremonial Common : A version of common used in rituals & ceremonies
    when
    the languages of the upper and lower planes are not used. It is
    interesting to note
    that Divine common does not differ when used in good or evil churches.
    The
    difference is what other language is used with Divine Common.
    Infernal, Celestial,
    Abyssal, Draconic, etc.

    Royal Common: A semi-secret language filled with slang and off color
    phrases. It is called Royal Common, as somewhat of a slap against the
    ruling nobility of some countries.

    Up until the point where the gnomes made their last ditch effort by
    praying,
    there was only a single gnomish god. Mostly he ignored his creations
    in
    favor of attempting to create a better race. He saw the gnomes as a
    failure.
    Most often the gnomes avoided worship, instead devoting much of their
    time
    to slaving away for the Lizard Folk and working on their inbred
    illusionary
    gifts.

    The Dwarves adopted the old gnomish god, but shaped him in the imagine
    they saw fit. As time went on, new gods were added to the Dwarven
    heavens. These gods were often gods from other races, twisted and
    tweaked until they fit the Dwarven Ideals.

    > Are the lizard folk still advanced? I'd be interested in your
    > write-up
    > on them. Are they the dominant race on your world?
    >
    > --
    > Jay Knioum
    > The Mad Afro

    There are three distinct types of lizard folk in my world, once I get
    them
    statted properly I'll be sure to put them up for viewing. I do have a
    small
    write about each of them, and haven't really used them in any of my
    games
    because the players have not gone anywhere near their current homes.
    Most
    information I can supply about races, etc has not been fully
    incorperated
    into the new mechanics of the game. These are basic ideas that I'm
    trying to
    rework until they can fit well enough into the 3.5 system. A system I
    enjoy
    a lot, for me at least it feels better trying to run a game in this
    edition,
    unlike my 2nd edition, and basic D&D experiences. The names are
    subject to
    change as I come up with ones that are more approperiate to my
    setting.

    "Flame Tongues" - "Master Race" The flame tongues believe they are the
    master race, the first race that all other races came from. They have
    recorded history that seems to date from before the creation of the
    world.
    Flame tongues are menancing brutes standing 8 1/2 - 10 feet tall. They
    are
    covered in highly polished scales that catch the sun's rays at very
    odd
    angles producing a strange colored "aura" around them. They are the
    only
    lizard folk race that still has the capacity to breathe "fire," like
    the
    "Scaled Masters." Their breath weapon is very weak (2d4 fire damage
    1/week)
    and causes damage to themselves (1/2 damage dealt, Fort Save (Save DC
    is
    still in question) for 1/4 of total damage.) One in two hundred
    thousand
    FT's have a more advanced breath weapon, although it does not do any
    more
    damage, their internal workings are in a configuration that allows
    them to
    breath without causing damage to themselves. Most Flame Tongues are
    lazy
    and violent, expecting things to be done for them based solely on
    their
    status as "Higher Beings." For the most part, very few people ever see
    Flame Tongue as they spend most of their lives sheltered away in their
    massive windowless black iron castles. They use slaves, and the lesser
    lizard folk to carry out their plans while they reap all the benefits.
    While
    not the brightest of the lizard folk, they are considered the rulering
    class.

    Class Breakdown: While a flame tongue has the capacity to be almost
    any
    class, most take to professions that require little or no formal
    training.
    They also seek classes in which they can use their innate strength to
    bully
    their way to the top in any given situation. Wizards are almost
    unheard of
    in Flame tongue settlements, but sorcery is a common practice (many
    flame
    tongues seem to have at least a few levels in sorceror.) Favored
    Class:
    Barbarian

    Possible Stat mods (Unbalanced so far, and needs to be worked on) +8
    str, +2
    dex, - 4 int, -2 wis, + 6 cha: Flame Tongues are extremely strong and
    somewhat agile. Most lack proper educations or anything to stimulate
    their
    minds, the few scholars that know of them fear the day, they actually
    take
    to book learning. The Flame Tongue mindset does not allow for much
    introspection or even care for the use of common sense. Their sheer
    size,
    their feats of strength, and their resembalance to the "Scaled
    Masters"
    gives them ample reason for an arrogant personality that acts like a
    lightning rod for other lizard folk.

    I'll stop right there as this post is getting quite large.

    DA

    "Tialan" <shalahhr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Decaying Atheist wrote:
    >> "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>when I

    >>>bounce

    >>>It's definatly on toppic, and it's always nice to see more that
    >>>actually has something to do with D&D. And this is Wild Wild
    >>>Usenet,
    >>>no need to ask permission to do just about anything.
    >>>
    >>>- Justisaur.
    >>

    >> You, see I understand that. I've been on Usenet for quite awhile,
    >> but I'm
    >> also one of those "mysterious" polite posters. I always try to make
    >> sure
    >> what I'm going to do offends the least number of people. I'm
    >> starting to
    >> wonder if there really is a place for someone like me on Usenet.
    >
    > Sounds like the two of us need to stick together. :-)
    >
    > -Tialan

    When I first started out, I came into a few groups guns blazing and
    ended
    up making an ass out of myself. I still do that sometime but I do
    attempt
    to be more considerate.

    DA

    "Christopher Adams" <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    > Decaying Atheist wrote:
    >>
    >> You, see I understand that. I've been on Usenet for quite awhile,
    >> but I'm
    >> also one of those "mysterious" polite posters. I always try to make
    >> sure
    >> what I'm going to do offends the least number of people. I'm
    >> starting to
    >> wonder if there really is a place for someone like me on Usenet.
    >
    > No, quit being timid. What else is the newsgroup for except throwing
    > ideas about D&D around? :)
    >
    > --
    > Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
    > What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
    > don't you understand?
    > http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigeclasslist.html
    > http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatelist.html

    Done and Done.