mn-700 as an access point

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Hi,

I'm have a Msft MN-700 Router/Access Point. I'm trying to
use it as an access point on the other end of the house.
The Cable modem and router are, of course on the opposite
side of the house. The wireless network is fine, except
for the fact that I can't get the MN-700 to function as an
access point and pick up the signal from the router (which
is a belkin). I have the SSID set as the same, and the
channels different (from what I understand they need to be
different so it can transmit). Its set as an access point
in the base-station mode. The Router is setup as the dhcp
server.

I have the MN-700 connected to the xbox and a HTPC...
however I can't connect to the internet, since the access
point doesn't seem to be getting an signal, or having an
IP assigned.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about access point

    Here are the steps:
    1) Connect a PC w/NIC to the 700 wan port
    2) Give the 700 a static IP for your network
    3) Disable DHCP on the 700
    4) Connect the 700 wan port to one of your belkin's
    network ports.

    What you want to do with it will not work.

    thanks for the reply.

    yeah i was starting to think that as well. so the AP
    definitely has to be hardwired to the router. the main
    goal is to get the xbox connected wirelessly without
    having to spend any money. i already had the MN-700 lying
    around so I was hoping i could get it connected to the
    network that way.

    now here's one caveat, my HTPC has a wireless USB adapter
    that I use to connect it to the network. can i just use
    the MN-700 as a hub switch and bridge the connection in XP?
    I've tried so far without success... however I've done
    something similar with 2 laptops (1 with a wireless card
    and both with network interfaces) and a crossover cable.
    however i don't know if i've been doing something
    incorrectly.

    thoughts?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Kind of hard to do wireless with out being there but you do need them on the
    same channel.

    "kli" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm have a Msft MN-700 Router/Access Point. I'm trying to
    > use it as an access point on the other end of the house.
    > The Cable modem and router are, of course on the opposite
    > side of the house. The wireless network is fine, except
    > for the fact that I can't get the MN-700 to function as an
    > access point and pick up the signal from the router (which
    > is a belkin). I have the SSID set as the same, and the
    > channels different (from what I understand they need to be
    > different so it can transmit). Its set as an access point
    > in the base-station mode. The Router is setup as the dhcp
    > server.
    >
    > I have the MN-700 connected to the xbox and a HTPC...
    > however I can't connect to the internet, since the access
    > point doesn't seem to be getting an signal, or having an
    > IP assigned.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    They need to be on different channels because the MN-500 & MN-700 don't
    support connecting wirelessly to another router.

    Here is my directions on how to deal with this situation.

    One of the two following hardware configurations will allow you to
    expand your Microsoft Broadband Network.

    The first one is connected via wires & the second one is connected via
    wireless.

    Wired connection configuration information.

    Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
    MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #2 --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #2
    MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #3 --> WAN port of MN-500 or
    MN-700 #3 (if available)

    Wireless connection configuration information.

    (For this configuration you can only use WEP & MAC filtering, for
    wireless security, because the MN-740 doesn't support WPA.)

    Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #1
    MN-740 --> WAN port of MN-500, or MN-700 #2
    MN-740 --> WAN port of MN-500, or MN-700 #3 (if available)

    You will have to configure each MN-740 on an Xbox to connect to the
    wireless network you want the second & third router to connect to.

    General configuration information for both network connection types.

    Make sure all MN-100's & MN-500's are running the latest firmware which
    is 1.11.017

    Make sure all MN-700's are running the latest firmware which is 2.01.02.0590

    Make sure all MN-740's are running the latest firmware which is 1.00.02.0021

    Now let’s look at the setup of each MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700:

    MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
    Router mode
    LAN IP address at default of 192.168.2.1
    Some SSID (if wireless)
    Some WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
    Channel 6 (if wireless)

    MN-500 or MN-700 #2
    Bridge mode
    LAN IP address at 192.168.2.42, outside of default DHCP range
    Same SSID
    Same WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
    Channel 1

    MN-500 or MN-700 #3 (if available)
    Bridge mode
    LAN IP address at 192.168.2.43, outside of default DHCP range
    Same SSID
    Same WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
    Channel 11

    If you keep the SSID and WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network
    supports WPA) the same for all base stations, people will be able to
    move between locations and get a connection, without needing to change
    there configuration as they move.

    If you are using WEP on some but WPA on other wireless routers you will
    have to reconfigure the wireless settings as you switch between wireless
    networks.

    You need to select non-overlapping channels for the base stations to
    prevent interference.

    Non-overlapping channels have at least 5 channels between them as 1, 6,
    & 11 do.

    Channels 1, 6, & 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.

    There are more combinations if you only need two channels.

    One last note 2.4 & many 5.8 GHz phones (The models that use the 2.4 GHz
    frequency as well as the 5.8 GHZ frequency) will cause interference with
    802.11b & 802.11g wireless networking hardware, as 802.11b & 802.11g
    both use the 2.4 GHz frequency.

    Earl wrote:

    > Kind of hard to do wireless with out being there but you do need them on the
    > same channel.

    assistance.

    time.

    Bridges are evil on wireless connections. Never create a bridge on a
    network unless you don't want it to work.

    kli wrote:

    > thanks for the reply.
    >
    > yeah i was starting to think that as well. so the AP
    > definitely has to be hardwired to the router. the main
    > goal is to get the xbox connected wirelessly without
    > having to spend any money. i already had the MN-700 lying
    > around so I was hoping i could get it connected to the
    > network that way.
    >
    > now here's one caveat, my HTPC has a wireless USB adapter
    > that I use to connect it to the network. can i just use
    > the MN-700 as a hub switch and bridge the connection in XP?
    > I've tried so far without success... however I've done
    > something similar with 2 laptops (1 with a wireless card
    > and both with network interfaces) and a crossover cable.
    > however i don't know if i've been doing something
    > incorrectly.
    >
    > thoughts?

    assistance.

    time.