p4 question

G

What is the differnce between a P4 Xeon and a regualr p4 proccessor? Thanks!

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Raystonn can give you a much better answer than me, but I'll try and put it in laymans terms. The xeon is a server based processor and the p4 is a desktop based processor. The xeon has a larger cache than the regular p4 and is therefore faster. I'm no intel buff but I think that's a quick and somewhat accurate rundown.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The design of both Xeon and regular P4 is the same, but the Xeon can support more than 2 multiprocessor configurations. Usually, they would be 4way and 8way, but more have been seen. Strangley, with the P4 Xeon, the L2 cache is not the same as with the previous versions of Xeon (ie, PIII). This being that they used to have a larger L2 cache, usually 2Mb, but that's not the case now. Also, Xeon is far more expensive.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lucol on 09/26/01 12:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yeah, the p4 xeon is merely a smp enabled p4, there is no larger cache, it does no better than regular p4's in apps apparently.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~