Sign in with
Your question

AMD rulz,Int sucks (not what you think it is)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 27, 2001 5:30:36 PM

Just consider the above statement. It really is a rallying banner for manner of debates, from the objective technology discussions to what can only be descirbed as bi-partisan squables. Apart from the obvious disregard for all that I hold dear about the English language, I would suggest that someone who could actually use that phrase and believe it might need medical care.
I, having just been dragged into this arguement deeper than I would have liked to then having gotten off fairly lightly, in an idle moment, fell to thinking. Is there any truth in this statement what so ever. If you disected it down to its component elements, I challenge you to find a modicum of truth.

At the end of the day, I see that hardware forums are plastered to what can equated to some the most amusing mud-slinging matches ever. But for the record I feel that should set down what I understand to be true, then the kind denizens of Tom's Hardware forums can straighten me out.

On the subject of Intel corp.

Has been instrumental in the development of the microprocessor from its hunble beginnings.
Until the release of the K7, it has had a virtual monopoly of the desktop PC market.
Descended to arrogant disregard for any consumer opinion.
Recently has had numerous set backs starting with the i820 debacle.
The P4 is its flagship product, which when initally released, proved disappointing.
However, looks set to recapture the performance crown with 2.2 Ghz Northwood.
Itanium and Mckiney are spear heading Intels assualt on high end server market.

AMD.

Has lived in Intels shadow until the K6.
With the release of the K7, AMD is catapulted to forefront of Pc market, capturing performance crown from P3.
K7 has proced extremely flexible product scaling well with a few core upgrades on the way.
Next revision is Thorough Bred.
Sledgehammer to compete with Itanium/Mckiney for 64 bit market.

Finally, an apology to those whom I may have offended over the last couple of days. Sorry chaps.

Last but not least, I am kind of curious how many folk here are Elec. Engineers or studying to become one? None of my business I know, but am just curious.

Charlie

:
This humble pie doesn't taste so bad, I recomend it

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by charliec2uk on 09/27/01 03:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : amd rulz int sucks

September 27, 2001 6:39:27 PM

amds hope is the XP... the pentium 4 is eating away at the ignorant public, carrying on its baby monopoly though amd boxes are cheaper... the tually is amazing, when higher clocks have been released amd wlll have to do very well indeed with the XP... lets hope they do, im losing faith in tom he isnt reviewing anything amd based anymore anandtech is testing the tiger, the nforce etc...

if in doubt blame microsoft...
September 27, 2001 9:22:23 PM

Quote:
Apart from the obvious disregard for all that I hold dear about the English language,

I feel your pain ;) 

Quote:

Itanium and Mckiney are spear heading Intels assualt on high end server market.

I thought McKinley was the home version of IA64?

Quote:
Next revision is Thorough Bred.
Sledgehammer to compete with Itanium/Mckiney for 64 bit market.

Palamino is the next revision, unless you're looking past that. And don't forget Clawhammer (not that it matters much, as long as you get x86-64 in there).

Good summation of the two companies, though.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
Related resources
September 27, 2001 9:31:13 PM

"I thought McKinley was the home version of IA64?"

No, it is targetted for high-end servers. There is no 'home version' of IA64 for the next few years. There is no need and no market.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
September 28, 2001 8:43:09 AM

Mckinley much like northwood is the repaired version of itanium.(.13 micron and other improvements). Is this right raystonn?

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 28, 2001 4:02:56 PM

Ahh...all this time I was mistaken. Fair enough.

Any info on what the home version of IA64 will be?
Whatever's not covered in an NDA, of course.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
September 28, 2001 5:19:51 PM

intel does not have a monopoly. the incopotence of its competetors is the fault of those competetors.
September 28, 2001 6:27:54 PM

intel established itself first (way before amd) and gained a reputation, by the time amd released their k6s people were blind believers in intel, only the tbird got quite a few people to convert... intel does not have a monopoly but they used to have a nearly 100% home user market share

if in doubt blame microsoft...
September 28, 2001 6:36:37 PM

There is no market or roadmap for a home 64-bit processor any time in the near future. Maybe in 4-5 years...

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
September 28, 2001 7:12:15 PM

SlegdeHammer is not a K7 core revision.

--
It's Princess Leia, the yodel of my life. Give me my sweater back or I'll play the guitar.
September 28, 2001 7:43:34 PM

Dont mind this post..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
!