Need help for upgrade

Bilbo_B

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2001
Hi. I humbly beg the assistance of all you gurus out there.
My computer has an A-Trend ATC-6310-V01 motherboard and a Celeron 533. I want to upgrade it to a P3, but the motherboards' manual mentions I can only go up to 700MHz on a 100FSB and to 733 on a 133FSB. (multipliers 7.0 and 5.5 respectively), even tough it supports up to 8.0 on a Celeron.
Now, I'm having trouble finding a 733 processor. I'm being offered a 750, 100FSB. My question is: Will this work in my sistem? I don't care if it runs at 733, or even at 700. But I'd like to know if it will work at all.
Thanks for your help.

Antonio.

If it ain't broken, break it. Then fix it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The max processor you list are Coppermines (PIII and Celeron II). A motherboard that supports Coppermines will support all speeds. Your best PIII alternative is the 700 overclocked to 933. If you do not have any manual bus speed or volatage adjustments, you can still adjust these things through pin modification, see <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">THIS POST</A> for the details (and if you find this information to be valuable please leave a response in there)
You can also get the CHEAP Celeron 566 and overclock it to 850 using the same tip, but remember that Celerons don't perform that well, an 850 Celeron should offer about the same performance as a PIII 600.

Back to you Tom...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I just noticed that the board is Slot 1. If you can find an Abit Slotket III you can make all the voltage and bus speed adjustments on the card itself, using an FC-PGA processor. But since your already using a POS VIA motherboard, you might want to consider upgrading to an ECS SiS 735 board and a Duron processor (T-Bird prefered, but at additional cost).

Back to you Tom...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Crashman, you stole my reply!

::mumbles at the loss of another post count increasing oppurtunity::

Yeah, upgrade to a duron/sis, much better price/performance ratio.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~