AMD To Cut Penang Workforce By Half

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
<A HREF="http://quicken.excite.com/investments/news/story/djbn/?story=/news/stories/dj/20010926/BT20010926007836.htm&symbol=AMD" target="_new">Another ouch.</A>

"For more than three decades, AMD has been dedicated to a simple concept: 'People first. Products and profits will follow,'" says W.J. Sanders III, chairman and chief executive officer of AMD. Perhaps they should institute a new motto. I fail to see how laying someone off puts them 'first.'

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
<<<The Calif.-based company announced earlier this week it would cut 1,000 jobs in Austin, Texas and 1,300 jobs in Penang island, a manufacturing base off the west coast of Malaysia. >>

Not another ouch... the same ouch

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
That is a reference to the other earlier news, as a supplement to the current news that "Advanced Micro Devices Inc. will lay off more than half of its 2,500 employees in Penang as part of global cutbacks." Please read more closely.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

Best for the company i guess.

AMD user's always have the edge !

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Dunno, sounds to me like fallout from aggressive pricing and economic slump. I think that this step, if correctly taken, might strengthen the company in the future. I noticed though, that the layoffs are being strung along to Q2 '02, and will involve compensation and severence pay. That is according to AMD's onsite press release. So at least it isn't like the steps that the airlines around here are taking, where the cuts are quick, and no compensation. At least those people for AMD get enough warning to find themselves another job, which shouldn't be too difficult for the factory workers, maybe a little tougher for the management. I base that off of the fact that production plants of many kinds are still hiring the grunts (i.e. the people on the floor... I did that for awhile), which are really cheap compared to the salaries that some management people command. But I'd bet that those same management people might be offered an internal job as well.

Anywho, what I'm saying is that this isn't some sign of impending doom. I think the reason why Intel hasn't done the same is because they are in the process of revamping their image and their product line, and to cut workers right now, with things still in flux, is not a good plan. AMD, while it has the Palomino coming out, maybe soon, which is not so much a product change as a product revision, is relatively stable right now. This whole layoff, if the press release is to be believed and read with buzzwords translated into English, should be a prelude to a complete revamp of the company, where everything is consolidated after unrestrained growth over the last, what, 6 years of economic prosperity. Plus, with finacial markets in flux and consumer confidence dropping, now is not the time for growth, but consolidation, refocusing, and internal streamlining. Those that survive now will be better off in two years.

-SammyBoy

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm gonna keep saying this over and over! AMD mistake is not including thermal protection, ppl are finding out the hard way.

know what I mean, rcf?

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Thermal protection......big flaw Meltdown?

#1 Never stated explicitely this will remedy any overheating. Only used for MONITORING.
#2 Overheating usually caused by n00b improperly installing or badly installing a HSF, or buying one not rated for their chip.
#3 Please go away.

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
http://www.jc-news.com

<<<the machines were being cleared for the introduction of Windows XP and normally they had a larger selection of AMD based machines (sold out!). Notebooks were 75% AMD."
"guy with an HP logo on his golf shirt, right next to an AMD logo! It turns out, he was the regional sales manager for HP in store training staff for the XP launch. I pointed out his AMD logo and he said they were selling a ton of AMD product in his region. If you buy a Build To Order (BTO) AMD machine, they would double the size of your DDR for free. He said HP fully supports AMD for their retail machines.
We discussed the Gateway fiasco (he thought they were not long for the world) and the Intel/AMD wars. When I asked him about the ratio of BTO and retail, he said 11% of his total sales in BTO "was a very good month." He said first time buyers never buy on line, they always go to a retail outlet to shop. For the consumer market, retail shelves was the way to go."
>>>>>>
<<Just got off the phone with CPQ sales rep. Asked why I cannot find Athlon on Build to Order. She said their sold out of Athlon's but in a few weeks or more they would have the Athlon XP from 1.1Ghz to 1.533Ghz available and the P4 from 1.3Ghz to 2.0Ghz. They are nolonger selling Piii's.". >>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
That is a quote off a message board at <A HREF="http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15809276" target="_new">http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15809276</A>. We all know that posts on message boards are full of truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, do we not?

-Raystonn

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Raystonn, 1300 is more than half of 2500, it is the same ouch, not a new layoff lol. please read more closely.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
uh huh

THWAP!!

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

Please don't ban me for getting violaent!! You deserved the thwappage Crash! ;P
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by zengeos on 09/28/01 09:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>