Inspiron 14R 7200RPM HDD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Visage

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Greetings, all.

I'm in the middle of the process of purchasing a new laptop, and I have a question (clarification, really) for you. I'm currently considering the Dell Inspiron 14R, kitted out with an i5 processor etc.

To save a bit of money, I'm looking at purchasing the laptop with a small HDD and a small amount of RAM, then purchasing upgrades from elsewhere (the price difference turns out to be as much as $40 for me, surprisingly). The 14R comes with a 5400RPM HDD, and this is my question: Can I put a 7200RPM HDD into the Dell Inspiron 14R? I know the 7200RPM HDD will draw more power from the computer (shortening the battery life, of course, but I don't really care about that much), and is the Inspiron 14R capable of providing this extra power?

Thanks go in advance for any responses.

- Ethereal.Visage

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yes you can. The power draw difference between the two is negligible under full load and nil while the HDD is idling. The Dell uses a standard 2.5" SATA drive readily available everywhere. Here is a good 500 Gb HDD for a mere $69.00.
The actual process of the drive replacement is quite easy.
Good luck with it.

acron is quite right, if you wish to be extra sure:
I'll recommend that you do the following. See on the website if there's an option to upgrade to a 7200rpm model, note that make/model down for your notes, and look for specs for that model from the manufacturer. That way you can find out the exact parameters for the 7200 hdd that your laptop can accommodate and purchase something similar that will fit you to the letter.
If dell doesn't list an upgrade option on the website, call them up, pretend you want to get an upgrade while buying and ask if you could upgrade to a 7200rpm, ask them which make/model it will be if they do that upgrade. then do the same, as described above.
all best

Status
Not open for further replies.