Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Larger drive has unallocated space

Last response: in Windows 7
February 2, 2013 4:46:30 PM

I just swapped out a failing 1Tb samsung HDD to a WD Black Caviar (the noisiest drive EVER!) and the additional drive space is unallocated, when I access disk management I see the drive, System, C, D, and 931 Gb unallocated. What to do with the unallocated space?

February 2, 2013 4:53:30 PM

Should have mentioned W7 64 bit OS

Best solution

February 2, 2013 4:57:14 PM

Allocate it.

Right click in that space and create a logical drive then format it.
Related resources
February 2, 2013 5:08:44 PM

Can I not incorporate it into C drive?
If I cannot then my only choice seems to be, as you have indicated click on the unallocated space and select from the menu that appears "New Simple Volume". I have never partitioned a single drive into 2....are there any downsides or would it behave just like 2 separate drives?
I would rather have it one continuous C drive, as my media collections (My pictures, My music , My videos) are an extension of the OS and are contained in the Users area of Windows, if that makes sense, Thats one reason I purchased a larger drive.

February 2, 2013 5:16:28 PM

Here's the rub... You have a partition between the C: drive and the unallocated space. That's a problem. Since it's your recovery partition, eliminating it in order to expand drive C: is also a problem.

You could always build a system disk and then delete the recovery partition. That would allow you to delete both the unallocated partition and the Drive D: partition and expand C: into the remaining space. If you choose to remove the D: partition make certain that there are no hidden system files on it before attempting to delete it (paging files, shadow volume copy files, etc...).
February 2, 2013 5:19:40 PM

rocks911 said:
Can I not incorporate it into C drive?
I have never partitioned a single drive into 2....are there any downsides or would it behave just like 2 separate drives?

It will behave as two separate drives. If there was a downside, it might be that if you lose the physical drive, you lose it all, but that would be the case in any event, so no, there is no downside to having another drive.
February 2, 2013 7:12:34 PM

Best answer selected by rocks911.
!