Sign in with
Your question

Casefans...santa's little helper of CPU cooling.

Last response: in CPUs
September 28, 2001 4:19:33 AM

ive been looking to outfit my machine with two(2) medium to high speed 80mm casefans in order to survive the auzzie summer.
not the 4900rpm delta screamer, something a bit below that.

the thing is, for all my web searching i have yet to see ANY comprehensive casefan reviews, and i am getting to the point where i have sufficient data to do my own!

does anyone know of any casefan reviews around? or how to pressure Tom into doing one?

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
September 28, 2001 2:37:29 PM

Why don't you do one, document it and get rcf to give you THG's address then you can send it in and give them the credit for it?

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
September 28, 2001 3:39:31 PM

4900 RPM are hardly "Delta screamers", those are the 7000 RPM models. A 4900 RPM fan should be fine.
Get Panaflos from <A HREF="http://www.pcmods.com" target="_new">here</A>.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
Related resources
September 29, 2001 8:43:33 AM

um... i beg to differ... ive seen the specs
80mm, 4900rpm, 38mm deep (usual is 25mm), 68.5cfm! & 48.9 dBa!!.

48.9dBa is LOUD... not the high pitch scream of the 60mm ones, but still significant.

possibly the best balance ive seen is either:
sunon UHS: 3500rpm, 50.6cfm, 40.6dba
mechatronics: 4200rpm, 53cfm, 39dba
Pabst: 3600rpm, 46.5cfm, 37dba.

of this list im probably gonna end up with the pabst... its availabel round here, but i really want ones with 3 pins so i can monitor the speeds, the only failing of the Pabst is that its 4 pin only.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
September 29, 2001 11:39:05 AM

well i have collected data for about 18 fans, 12 or so brands... but its all web based, some of it missing important stuff like fan speeds...
and most if it anyway is probably from the manufacturer, so there is no way for me to verify the speeds, flowrates or noise.

September 29, 2001 12:29:34 PM

Larger fans create less noise when they spin very fast, deltas have that damn whistle....ugh drives me nuts. So nuts I got a 80mm>60mm fan adapter and a 80mm sunon high speed 50 something cfm to see if it will cool as good.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 29, 2001 12:56:21 PM

yep. thats on my list:
sunon 80mmx80mmx25mm.
3500rpm
50.6cfm
40.6dba
4pin adaptor.

whats the sound of the 40.6dba like? any patricular aspects?

P.S. i just put in 2 semi-perminent 80mm thermaltakes
2900rpm, 37cfm,30dba.
did ALOT for internal temps... mobo stays at 28 instead of climbing to 30-31
cpu is steady at 52-53C, 1350Mhz OC'ed, 100% load.

September 29, 2001 2:20:56 PM

Sunon makes good fans, I went to heatsink factory.com they have a sound comparision thingy(I compared to the delta black label which I know all too well how loud it is.)

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 30, 2001 3:05:40 AM

What part of Australia are you in? I doesn't get too hot here in Melbourne. :) 

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
September 30, 2001 5:23:04 AM

lol
melbourne.
but upstairs with no AC.
all i need to ensure is that my PC can handle a 1200 to 1350 OC, runnning 100%, in a room that gets up to 33C max.

September 30, 2001 6:15:28 AM

Ahhh, that makes sense. If you don't have any AC you might need one fan to get the hot air out of your case, and another to get the hot air out of your room. :) 

September 30, 2001 12:41:55 PM

yep
best i can do is case/room/upper corridor equilibrum at 32-34C.
fans just move the hot air around.... least now with 2x37cfm thermaltakes im getting very good internal temps, without completely defening me... and yes ive noticed a difference, even going from slow quiet generics to 30dba thermatakes.
i dont think i could stand louder to tel the truth, not with the PC on the desk beside the montior.

October 1, 2001 2:51:36 AM

I know what you mean, loud fans are the bane of my existance.

October 1, 2001 10:49:50 AM

hehe
do u run your processor 100% of the time for added room warmth?
i do. cure for cancer :) 

and now that ive got 2 30dBa thermaltakes onboard i realise i really cant handle anything louder on my desk.
the wine would be too irritating.
besides, with my hack and slash case mod the internal temps are pretty close to outside ambient, cant do much better than that

October 1, 2001 5:28:37 PM

Oops, sorry. Thought you were talking about 60mm, not 80.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
October 1, 2001 11:55:20 PM

oooo hell no
60mm fans? yuck

i just realised what was initally going to be just a games machine has taken on a life of its own!

just wanted a high performance beast...
but since ive overclocked the cpu...
and motherboard
graphics
every other pci device
remounted heatsink
sound adsorbtion foam
casefans
better casefans
upgrade from cd to dvd
rounded ide cables
my high tech "case mod" (30minutes with a pair of metal cutters) for better airflow
thinking about doing the same to the front fan hole, but gotta find soemthing to go on the front to prevent ingestion of foreign bodies.

things in the pipline for my beast...
new mobo (maybe)... current one is working ok, for now...
new enermax psu (420 or 550)
rounded floppy cable to match the ide ones.
and maybe even a monster swiftech mc 462a... just for the coolness and gloat factor :) 

a b à CPUs
October 2, 2001 3:23:07 AM

here is my setup for a p3550e@869 daily. i get 3445 3dm2k1 points. with a gts2 pro. I use a 3 inch hole saw for my drill. Perfect 80mm. case fan holes.
remove the front cover and drill out the front fan grill.
turn it arround and drill out the rear fan grill.
now cut allmost all of bottom portion of the cover out,not the front part but the section that turns back toward the case underneath. this is your air inlet. and is quieter than cutting the front.
this provides free airflow. the grills can block 10 to 50 percent of air flow on cheeper cases with holes punched out for grills.
on my case the processor is level with the rear case fan. so i used a 3 inch PVC sch 80 (thin wall) pipe. Ihad to cut the flared end off one side to make it line up with my processor and a small notch out of the other side to clear my first dimm slot.
held it in place and hot glued it a little to the fan. tak the fan and pipi fitting uot and glue it all the way arround tha fan.
my cpu fan already blew air away from the processor ,so you may need to change yours.
this works very well, i can unlpug my cpu fan and and my comp will still run fine .but 10 to14 deg c. hotter if this is not enough coolingthen try this
now for the third fan measure up to your first or second pci slot. then out to the center of your of your cards from the back.
transfer these measurements to your side cover.find a board or somethin similar cover it with cloth or several layers of newspaper. place case cover on this and hold carefullyso it dusent spin. use a water hose to slowly run over the side pannel to cool it. this way it dosent get hot and blister or burn the paint off arround the hole. drill holes for screws
if it overheats something definately wrong. All your cpu heat is exhausted directly out the back and lots of fresh air in, in the right places.

I aint signing nothing!!!
October 2, 2001 6:47:10 AM

nice... very nice.

think all i have to do is:
a. drill out the front fan hole (gonna be hard, the front is kinda moulded on, gonna have to take the fan and shroud off and do it from the inside)
b. get enermax psu for the wow factor & overclocking
and
c. buy a swiftech 462 yum

all this disposable income... its so nice. :)  :)  :) 

October 2, 2001 6:49:44 AM

If your income is so disposable, maybe you could dispose of some of it by giving it to me? ;) 

October 2, 2001 7:01:03 AM

ummmm... lemme think.....

NNNOOOO

lol
your an auzzie right someoneuknow?

i think ill dispose my income on a 550W enermax and a swiftech462... just to annoy you ;) 

October 2, 2001 5:10:07 PM

Has anyone here used the 80mm to 60mm fan adapters, and do they work any good? I bought the fastest 80mm sunon fan I could get, it has 20cfm more airflow than the delta7k I use. Will this cool a hsf better, as good, or worse than a delta?

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 3, 2001 3:37:18 AM

ive seen one in action... they are pretty useful... provided you have
A. the physical room to mount it
B. the correct mounting points

generally the idea isnt to get more airflow (maybe) but to reduce the noise.

and just bear in mind if you get a 80mm fan thats too powerful it may be struggling to push the air through a 60mm apature.

October 3, 2001 7:29:42 AM

havnt heard of anyone crushing their core with a swiffie, and besides, thats the only performance cooler i can conviently get around here.
anyways, ill get a pro to put it on, just in case

October 3, 2001 10:42:07 AM

I was planning on a swiftech, I didnt know they used 80mm fans already, I wasted 10 bucks on one fan adapter, oh well. However I am putting the second on my thermoengine and clocking my cpu at stock.(for my wife) ...well 150x9 is not stock, but its close enough.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 4, 2001 1:25:39 AM

well depends WHICH swiffie you got

they make two (2) of the type with pins,
the MC 462A which is the mother with the huge copper base, 80mm fan and more alluminium pins that you can count.
they also make a more modest unit, the MX 370 (i think), which is the usual HSF size, all aluminium construction, threaded pins and a standard 60mm fan.

ive seen both in action, and both units are of top notch construction, course the 370 with its 60mm fan is noticable louder.
that big non-delta fan on the 462 is fantastic.

!