Some Dimension 8300 Questions

Last response: in Computer Brands
September 17, 2004 7:54:04 AM

Hi all!

I'm new here, so I hope this is the appropriate place for my questions. If
not, please feel free to (politely!) direct me to a better location. I
purchased a Dell Dimension 8300 loaded to the maximum--1 GB RAM, 3.4GHz
processor, etc... It's a nice machine and I'm pretty happy with it. However,
as time has gone on, I've come up with some things I'd like to change or
"fix" about it.

First, is there any way to make the thing a little quieter? I don't mind
noisy computers, but I run this thing in a distributed computing project
that usually keeps the CPU usage "pegged" all the time. My main issue is
that the fan throttles up and down just enough to be noticed--and it's quite
loud. The variations in speed are what I notice and find annoying. Is there
anything that can be done to alleviate this problem? (I've heard that Dell
made the 8400 quieter somehow...anybody have one and willing to take
pictures of the inside?)

Secondly, I'm not running Windows XP. The computer came preloaded with it,
but I don't use XP so I wiped it off of there and started with Windows 2000
Professional SP4. This runs well and most of the drivers from the Dell
driver CD *did* actually work. The only one that didn't was the Intel Pro
100/VE set of drivers. I found some generic ones for Windows 2000 from
Intel, and the onboard NIC now works just fine, but with some computers on
my network (a mixed wired and wireless setup) performance gets extremely
slow. Copying even small files can take forever on this machine, yet all
others on the network communicate just fine with the computers that my new
Dell "doesn't like" to talk to over the network. I do not believe it is the
networking hardware in the other computers--they are all configured
differently. Some are even wired while others are wireless! Is there
anything I can do to get better results with this onboard chipset? (I've
never had this much trouble with any other Intel NIC--onboard or
otherwise--so I'm hoping that it's maybe a driver issue.)

I'm reluctant to ask Dell for a variety of reasons. They outsource their
tech support and the people that do it now are very difficult for me to
understand, which causes embarassment and confusion. I'm also not sure
they'll say anything beyond "you loaded a different OS, what did you expect,
silly?" and I don't think there is an actual hardware failure in the
machine.

Third--is this machine one of the Dell models that uses a proprietary power
supply? I'm not expecting the power supply to die, but if it should and I am
out of warranty, will I be stuck paying whatever Dell asks for one?

Finally, there are a LOT of USB ports on this thing...any idea how exactly I
can determine what is hooked up to which one (Device Manager is really not
all that helpful) and why one of the controllers is listed as a "Standard
Enhanced PCI to USB Controller" while all the others are an Intel type? Why
is one different? Are all of the USB ports USB 2.0 or are some USB 1.1 or
earlier?

Thanks in advance for any answers or thoughts.

William
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 9:18:43 AM

William,

Not owning an 8300, I can only comment on a few.

1) If you call Dell, they will say: reload XP and you will have your
drivers. They would be right, as XP is superior to 2000 and there is no real
reason to load a 4 year old operating system.

2) All ports are USB2. If some are reported as USB1.1, then 2000 is not
properly installing the drivers. Did you install the motherboard drivers?
XP Sp1 would, of course, solve this problem too.

3) The power supply is standard

Tom
"William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com>
wrote in message news:wdt2d.57972$MQ5.6738@attbi_s52...
> [...]
> machine.
>
> Third--is this machine one of the Dell models that uses a proprietary
> power
> supply? I'm not expecting the power supply to die, but if it should and I
> am
> out of warranty, will I be stuck paying whatever Dell asks for one?
>
> Finally, there are a LOT of USB ports on this thing...any idea how exactly
> can determine what is hooked up to which one (Device Manager is really not
> all that helpful) and why one of the controllers is listed as a "Standard
> Enhanced PCI to USB Controller" while all the others are an Intel type?
> Why
> is one different? Are all of the USB ports USB 2.0 or are some USB 1.1 or
> earlier?
>
> Thanks in advance for any answers or thoughts.

September 17, 2004 11:51:52 AM

I have an early 8300 from 4/03, and it is quite noisy. It has a video card
with a fan so more noise. The DVD player sometimes also is loud so more
noise. I wonder is the fan speed regulated by the temperature inside the
cpu. I clean out my computers from time to time with a little canned air. I
found a little program that give detail information about a system
http://www.lavalys.com/

Carolyn
> [...]
>> machine.
>>
>> Third--is this machine one of the Dell models that uses a proprietary
>> power
>> supply? I'm not expecting the power supply to die, but if it should and I
>> am
>> out of warranty, will I be stuck paying whatever Dell asks for one?
>>
>> Finally, there are a LOT of USB ports on this thing...any idea how
>> exactly I
>> can determine what is hooked up to which one (Device Manager is really
>> not
>> all that helpful) and why one of the controllers is listed as a "Standard
>> Enhanced PCI to USB Controller" while all the others are an Intel type?
>> Why
>> is one different? Are all of the USB ports USB 2.0 or are some USB 1.1 or
>> earlier?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any answers or thoughts.

September 18, 2004 6:10:12 AM

Hi!

Thank you for the information. Now, I really don't mean to sound harsh, nor
am I trying to upset you, but I don't think I got what I really needed or
wanted to know.

> 1) If you call Dell, they will say: reload XP and you will have your
> drivers. They would be right, as XP is superior to 2000 and there is no
real
> reason to load a 4 year old operating system.

It hasn't been my experience that XP is in any way "superior" to 2000 other
than to say that it is newer. I don't feel the performance is as good and
I'm working on things where I don't need the cutesy effects, new widgets,
skinning and overall "draggy" (at times) UI. I frequently work on projects
where I need all that the hardware can give me. Oh, and I just don't "need"
activation. I'm quite capable of using my software legally and buying
additional licenses when I need them.

As for the comment about Dell directing me to "reload XP and you will have
your drivers" that is not entirely correct. Dell supplies that driver CD for
a reason and I've restored several of their different models to factory
fresh condition--invariably the CD is needed to make some of the hardware
work even with systems that shipped with XP. It has also been my experience
that the CD contains drivers for many different operating systems, including
many versions of Windows. The one I got with my 8300 has been the lone
exception thus far.

> 2) All ports are USB2. If some are reported as USB1.1, then 2000 is not
> properly installing the drivers. Did you install the motherboard drivers?

I don't know what speed the ports are operating at. I have no reason to
doubt Dell's published specs that state all USB ports are USB 2.0 capable. I
am just wondering why one USB controller would be identified differently
from all the rest. All the ports sure seem to work the same way...just one
controller is different. I was unable to locate a differing USB controller
on the motherboard, so I was curious.

> XP Sp1 would, of course, solve this problem too.

You can't solve a problem that doesn't exist. Not to offend (really!), but I
think you're trying to tell me that I had no business changing the OS to
something I prefer over XP. It is my computer as far as I know and I can run
what I want to...and so far, I'm not complaining.

> 3) The power supply is standard

Thanks for that information. I hope I'll never need it, but I'll keep that
in mind.

William
September 18, 2004 6:10:13 AM

"William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote in message news:8OM2d.61919$MQ5.54401@attbi_s52...

> It hasn't been my experience that XP is in any way "superior" to 2000 other
> than to say that it is newer. I don't feel the performance is as good and
> I'm working on things where I don't need the cutesy effects, new widgets,
> skinning and overall "draggy" (at times) UI. I frequently work on projects
> where I need all that the hardware can give me.

Windows XP, particularly the Pro version, has a number of new features
which some people find very appealing...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyup...

Which includes improved application, hardware, and networking support.
I have no idea what is causing your networking problems, but I can't
help but wonder if you would find it easier to get your network running
smoothly with the latest OS & drivers. Should you ever care to try, be
advised that you can set XP to use the Windows Classic theme, adjust
Visual Effects settings for peformance over appearance, choose the
Classic Start Menu, eliminate the start menu delay, etc. There are sites
that talk about XP performance tuning, and once you know where to go
and what to do, it takes but a minute or two to make XP look & feel like
2K. I too prefer the "classic" interface, particularly on older machines
for it is much more snappy.
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 6:10:14 AM

William,
Did you check Dell's driver support page for the Dim8300,using Win2000 as your OS? There are several drivers that are available for that OS & PC. The generic drivers, you have found and installed, may be causing some of your problems.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?...

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Ted" <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:414bb570$0$2646$61fed72c@news.rcn.com...

"William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote in message news:8OM2d.61919$MQ5.54401@attbi_s52...

> It hasn't been my experience that XP is in any way "superior" to 2000 other
> than to say that it is newer. I don't feel the performance is as good and
> I'm working on things where I don't need the cutesy effects, new widgets,
> skinning and overall "draggy" (at times) UI. I frequently work on projects
> where I need all that the hardware can give me.

Windows XP, particularly the Pro version, has a number of new features
which some people find very appealing...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyup...

Which includes improved application, hardware, and networking support.
I have no idea what is causing your networking problems, but I can't
help but wonder if you would find it easier to get your network running
smoothly with the latest OS & drivers. Should you ever care to try, be
advised that you can set XP to use the Windows Classic theme, adjust
Visual Effects settings for peformance over appearance, choose the
Classic Start Menu, eliminate the start menu delay, etc. There are sites
that talk about XP performance tuning, and once you know where to go
and what to do, it takes but a minute or two to make XP look & feel like
2K. I too prefer the "classic" interface, particularly on older machines
for it is much more snappy.
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 4:08:14 AM

William R. Walsh wrote:
>>2) All ports are USB2. If some are reported as USB1.1, then 2000 is not
>>properly installing the drivers. Did you install the motherboard drivers?
>

> I don't know what speed the ports are operating at. I have no reason to
> doubt Dell's published specs that state all USB ports are USB 2.0 capable. I
> am just wondering why one USB controller would be identified differently
> from all the rest. All the ports sure seem to work the same way...just one
> controller is different. I was unable to locate a differing USB controller
> on the motherboard, so I was curious.

William,

All your USB ports are USB 2.0 ports. What you see in Device Manager
are four standard USB controllers and one enhanced USB controller. It
took me awhile to figure out but, using the SISoftware SANDRA 2004
program (www.sisoftware.net - standard edition is free for personal
use), I discovered that each standard controller controls two of the USB
ports when USB 1.1 devices are attached to those ports. The enhanced
USB controller has eight channels and is used when a USB 2.0 device is
connected to any of the eight USB ports. Use the Port Information icon
in SANDRA 2004 and it will show you details of each device connected to
the USB ports. The Mainboard Information icon of SANDRA 2004 will give
you general information about each USB controller.

Dave
September 19, 2004 1:48:05 PM

> First, is there any way to make the thing a little quieter? I don't mind

I have a 8300, too. I noticed the fan noise depends on the
temperature around the computer. Past couple of week the temperature
was in the low 90's, and the fan noise was quite loud. Right now it's
humming at 70; I can barely hear the fan.
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 2:31:21 AM

kelvinyang@yahoo.com (ky) wrote:

>> First, is there any way to make the thing a little quieter? I don't mind
>
>I have a 8300, too. I noticed the fan noise depends on the
>temperature around the computer. Past couple of week the temperature
>was in the low 90's, and the fan noise was quite loud. Right now it's
>humming at 70; I can barely hear the fan.

Same here. Do you think it's the CPU fan. I've already had them replace
the video card (ATI with fan) and the noise is still there, so I think it's
the cpu fan.

Charliec
September 20, 2004 8:57:48 PM

I don't think there is anything you can do if it is temperature
related problem. Hot computer requires the fans to work harder, and
faster rotating fan makes more noise. That's just the way it is...
unless you turn on the air conditioner and keep the room temperature
at a comfortable 76 and below or you just have to live with it.

Charliec <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message news:<u32sk0dj14ofthpf8epjpcta057ga7cbet@4ax.com>...
> kelvinyang@yahoo.com (ky) wrote:
>
> >> First, is there any way to make the thing a little quieter? I don't mind
> >
> >I have a 8300, too. I noticed the fan noise depends on the
> >temperature around the computer. Past couple of week the temperature
> >was in the low 90's, and the fan noise was quite loud. Right now it's
> >humming at 70; I can barely hear the fan.
>
> Same here. Do you think it's the CPU fan. I've already had them replace
> the video card (ATI with fan) and the noise is still there, so I think it's
> the cpu fan.

> Charliec
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 12:59:58 AM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:05:32 GMT, William R. Walsh wrote in

> The fan itself doesn't seem to be broken--it's not rumbling, rattling or
> having any difficulty whatsoever running. In fact, the system is maybe three
> months old as I write this. It's just that when the CPU is taxed the cooling
> fan speeds up (as expected) but the noise level of the moving air is rather
> high. I heard that Dell made the 8400 quieter, and I was wondering how/if
> that was really true. Fan noise doesn't bother me, but I'd like to know what
> Dell may have done to make the 8400 quieter than the 8300.
>
> I'm still looking to hear from someone who has an 8400.

I have an 8400 and while I can't really quantify the noise level, I can say
it's much quieter than my home-built machine. The 8400 sits about 3 feet
away from me when I'm sitting at the desk in here and I can barely hear it,
but *nothing* like my home-built computer which I can hear in the other
room.

Overall, I'm very happy with my 8400 performance and noise-wise. :-)

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!
September 21, 2004 7:30:02 AM

In article <8csqy3c8d60n.dlg@sgtcaseycableone.net>,
sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net says...
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:05:32 GMT, William R. Walsh wrote in
>
> > The fan itself doesn't seem to be broken--it's not rumbling, rattling or
> > having any difficulty whatsoever running. In fact, the system is maybe three
> > months old as I write this. It's just that when the CPU is taxed the cooling
> > fan speeds up (as expected) but the noise level of the moving air is rather
> > high. I heard that Dell made the 8400 quieter, and I was wondering how/if
> > that was really true. Fan noise doesn't bother me, but I'd like to know what
> > Dell may have done to make the 8400 quieter than the 8300.
> >
> > I'm still looking to hear from someone who has an 8400.
>
> I have an 8400 and while I can't really quantify the noise level, I can say
> it's much quieter than my home-built machine. The 8400 sits about 3 feet
> away from me when I'm sitting at the desk in here and I can barely hear it,
> but *nothing* like my home-built computer which I can hear in the other
> room.
>
> Overall, I'm very happy with my 8400 performance and noise-wise. :-)
>
> Dave

does it remain quiet when the room is hot?

Louise
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 11:11:14 AM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:30:02 GMT, Louise wrote in

>> I have an 8400 and while I can't really quantify the noise level, I can say
>> it's much quieter than my home-built machine. The 8400 sits about 3 feet
>> away from me when I'm sitting at the desk in here and I can barely hear it,
>> but *nothing* like my home-built computer which I can hear in the other
>> room.
>>
>> Overall, I'm very happy with my 8400 performance and noise-wise. :-)
>
> does it remain quiet when the room is hot?

The room my computer in tends to be the hottest room in the house and if
it's a warm day outside (I live in New Mexico) it gets up into the 80's in
here but if I'm not doing anything taxing on the 8400 (like playing a game)
it doesn't get that much louder. When game playing, however, the noise
level does rise quite a bit but then I expect that to happen. I just turn
up the speakers a bit more. ;-)

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 4:17:39 PM

Mine is always quiet except when it first reads a CD/DVD. I have the
Pentium 4 3.0. If you order a faster P4, it will run hotter and noisier.

"Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message

> does it remain quiet when the room is hot?
>
> Louise
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 1:01:14 PM

William, someone else helped me find specs for noise of Dell computers in
Dell's "environmental data sheets" at

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp...

If you look up the sheets for the Dimension 8300 and 8400, you'll see that
Dell says the 8300 is quieter.

I have an earlier model, a Dimension 4500, which I consider to be very
noisy, and it's said by the data sheets to be even quieter than these newer
models.

New is noisy. Old is less noisy, but still noisy. So old as to be obsolete
is quiet.

I have read elsewhere that the only way to get a modern, new computer that
is quiet is to build it yourself with lots of custom components. I believe
it.

- don

"William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com>
wrote in message news:wdt2d.57972$MQ5.6738@attbi_s52...
> (I've heard that Dell
> made the 8400 quieter somehow...
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 4:03:16 PM

What you are neglecting to consider is the effect faster and hotter running
processors have on noise. A P4 3.6 will run much hotter than a P4 3.0 and
therefore the fan noise will be greater. I have an 8400 with a P4 3.0 and
it is the quietest computer I have ever owned!

"Don Enderton" <Enderton@nosuchaddress.duh> wrote in message
> William, someone else helped me find specs for noise of Dell computers in
> Dell's "environmental data sheets" at
>
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp...
>
> If you look up the sheets for the Dimension 8300 and 8400, you'll see that
> Dell says the 8300 is quieter.
>
> I have an earlier model, a Dimension 4500, which I consider to be very
> noisy, and it's said by the data sheets to be even quieter than these
> newer models.
>
> New is noisy. Old is less noisy, but still noisy. So old as to be
> obsolete is quiet.
>
> I have read elsewhere that the only way to get a modern, new computer that
> is quiet is to build it yourself with lots of custom components. I
> believe it.
>
> - don
>
> "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com>
> wrote in message news:wdt2d.57972$MQ5.6738@attbi_s52...
>> (I've heard that Dell
>> made the 8400 quieter somehow...

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 4:03:17 PM

> What you are neglecting to consider is the effect faster and hotter
> running processors have on noise. A P4 3.6 will run much hotter than a P4
> 3.0 and therefore the fan noise will be greater. I have an 8400 with a P4
> 3.0 and it is the quietest computer I have ever owned!

<snip>

This is absolutely true. While the 8400 features only (hotter) Prescott
CPUs, it also has a significantly larger passive (copper core/tubed)
heatsink, its' chassis nearly doubled intake/exhaust vents and additional
cooling options that the 8300 simply did not have.

It's a fact that the 8400 case 'breathes' far better than did the 8300.

All of that considered, cramp either tower up in low ventilation
environment, and the fans will run wide open like all hell. In that
scenario, I'd suspect the 8400 to be a bit louder as it has a more powerful
CPU/Chassis fan....

Stew
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 11:50:22 PM

I know faster and hotter processors ARE the problem, WSZsr. That was my
point, I thought.

In my opinion, there should be a balance between performance (processing
speed) and acoustic noise.

In my opinion, current performance standards should be sacrificed so that
acoustic noise may be reduced.

I don't need for my machine to be any faster, even for today's applications,
if it means the computer must be heard in the next room, or down the hall.

If Dell's mass market products don't get quieter, eventually Dell will lose
former repeat customers like me, who like their rooms quiet.

- Don

> What you are neglecting to consider is the effect faster and hotter
> running processors have on noise. A P4 3.6 will run much hotter than a P4
> 3.0 and therefore the fan noise will be greater. I have an 8400 with a P4
> 3.0 and it is the quietest computer I have ever owned!
>

> "Don Enderton" <Enderton@nosuchaddress.duh> wrote in message
>> William, someone else helped me find specs for noise of Dell computers in
>> Dell's "environmental data sheets" at
>>
>> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp...
>>
>> If you look up the sheets for the Dimension 8300 and 8400, you'll see
>> that Dell says the 8300 is quieter.
>>
>> I have an earlier model, a Dimension 4500, which I consider to be very
>> noisy, and it's said by the data sheets to be even quieter than these
>> newer models.
>>
>> New is noisy. Old is less noisy, but still noisy. So old as to be
>> obsolete is quiet.
>>
>> I have read elsewhere that the only way to get a modern, new computer
>> that is quiet is to build it yourself with lots of custom components. I
>> believe it.
>>
>> - don
>>
>> "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com>
>> wrote in message news:wdt2d.57972$MQ5.6738@attbi_s52...
>>> (I've heard that Dell
>>> made the 8400 quieter somehow...

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 12:05:14 AM

There is a balance between performance and acoustic noise. It is called a
P4 3.0. That's what I have. I made a conscious decision to sacrifice
performance in favor of a quiet system so I ordered the P4 3.0 instead of a
faster, noisier processor.

> In my opinion, there should be a balance between performance (processing
> speed) and acoustic noise.
>
> In my opinion, current performance standards should be sacrificed so that
> acoustic noise may be reduced.
>
> I don't need for my machine to be any faster, even for today's
> applications, if it means the computer must be heard in the next room, or
> down the hall.

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 4:19:28 AM

"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>There is a balance between performance and acoustic noise. It is called a
>P4 3.0. That's what I have. I made a conscious decision to sacrifice
>performance in favor of a quiet system so I ordered the P4 3.0 instead of a
>faster, noisier processor.

Well, I have a problem with that. I have the P4 3.0 and its noise level is
extremely loud, to the extent, I turn it off sometimes when not in
immediate use. It is noisy even when idle. I have called Dell and worked
through their evaluation procedures with them and they replaced the video
card (they said it was either the video card or the CPU fan). After
replacing the video card, the noise level is the same. Called Dell again,
but they wanted to go through the same evaluation process as before, I did
not have the time then (take about an hour), so I'll probably call them
again when I have more time to repeat tests they have already run
(apparently, each support "must" run the same tests and cannot take the
word of other support person).

So the P4 3.0 is just as noisy, and getting the cpu fan replace will take
time and effort.

>"Don Enderton" <Enderton@nosuchaddress.duh> wrote in message
>> In my opinion, there should be a balance between performance (processing
>> speed) and acoustic noise.
>>
>> In my opinion, current performance standards should be sacrificed so that
>> acoustic noise may be reduced.
>>
>> I don't need for my machine to be any faster, even for today's
>> applications, if it means the computer must be heard in the next room, or
>> down the hall.

Charliec
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 4:53:05 AM

My 8400 is whisper quiet. For the same reason I selected the P4 3.0 I went
with the 800SE video card knowing that it would run cooler and quieter than
the 800XT. What video card do you have?

> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>There is a balance between performance and acoustic noise. It is called a
>>P4 3.0. That's what I have. I made a conscious decision to sacrifice
>>performance in favor of a quiet system so I ordered the P4 3.0 instead of
>>faster, noisier processor.
>
> Well, I have a problem with that. I have the P4 3.0 and its noise level
> is
> extremely loud, to the extent, I turn it off sometimes when not in
> immediate use. It is noisy even when idle. I have called Dell and worked
> through their evaluation procedures with them and they replaced the video
> card (they said it was either the video card or the CPU fan). After
> replacing the video card, the noise level is the same. Called Dell again,
> but they wanted to go through the same evaluation process as before, I did
> not have the time then (take about an hour), so I'll probably call them
> again when I have more time to repeat tests they have already run
> (apparently, each support "must" run the same tests and cannot take the
> word of other support person).
>
> So the P4 3.0 is just as noisy, and getting the cpu fan replace will take
> time and effort.
>

>>"Don Enderton" <Enderton@nosuchaddress.duh> wrote in message
>>> In my opinion, there should be a balance between performance (processing
>>> speed) and acoustic noise.
>>>
>>> In my opinion, current performance standards should be sacrificed so
>>> that
>>> acoustic noise may be reduced.
>>>
>>> I don't need for my machine to be any faster, even for today's
>>> applications, if it means the computer must be heard in the next room,
>>> or
>>> down the hall.

> Charliec
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 8:07:42 AM

>"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My 8400 is whisper quiet. For the same reason I selected the P4 3.0 I went
>with the 800SE video card knowing that it would run cooler and quieter than
>the 800XT. What video card do you have?

I have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR Card.

>"Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message
>> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>There is a balance between performance and acoustic noise. It is called a
>>>P4 3.0. That's what I have. I made a conscious decision to sacrifice
>>>performance in favor of a quiet system so I ordered the P4 3.0 instead of
>>>faster, noisier processor.
>>
>> Well, I have a problem with that. I have the P4 3.0 and its noise level
>> is
>> extremely loud, to the extent, I turn it off sometimes when not in
>> immediate use. It is noisy even when idle. I have called Dell and worked
>> through their evaluation procedures with them and they replaced the video
>> card (they said it was either the video card or the CPU fan). After
>> replacing the video card, the noise level is the same. Called Dell again,
>> but they wanted to go through the same evaluation process as before, I did
>> not have the time then (take about an hour), so I'll probably call them
>> again when I have more time to repeat tests they have already run
>> (apparently, each support "must" run the same tests and cannot take the
>> word of other support person).
>>
>> So the P4 3.0 is just as noisy, and getting the cpu fan replace will take
>> time and effort.
>>

>>>"Don Enderton" <Enderton@nosuchaddress.duh> wrote in message

>> ******************************************************
>> Charliec

Charliec
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 11:24:11 AM

Which is a REALLY loud card. I switched the fan for an Arctic cooler and it
is much quieter, but it takes an extra slot.

Tom
> >"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>My 8400 is whisper quiet. For the same reason I selected the P4 3.0 I
>>went
>>with the 800SE video card knowing that it would run cooler and quieter
>>than
>>the 800XT. What video card do you have?
>
> I have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR Card.
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 1:24:51 AM

>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>Which is a REALLY loud card. I switched the fan for an Arctic cooler and it
>is much quieter, but it takes an extra slot.

Did you keep the ATI Radeon Card? And just added the Arctic cooler? I
assume you removed the fan from the Radeon card? Where did you find info
on the Arctic cooler (maybe I can take a look at it online?). I'm ready to
try anything!
Charlie

>Tom
>"Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message
>> >"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>My 8400 is whisper quiet. For the same reason I selected the P4 3.0 I
>>>went
>>>with the 800SE video card knowing that it would run cooler and quieter
>>>than
>>>the 800XT. What video card do you have?
>>
>> I have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR Card.

Charliec
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 1:24:52 AM

It replaces the fan on the ATI card. If you don't need a 9800Pro, then a
lower-end, quieter card, might be a better solution.

Don't remember where I bought it, but google should find it for you.

Tom
> >"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>
>>Which is a REALLY loud card. I switched the fan for an Arctic cooler and
>>it
>>is much quieter, but it takes an extra slot.
>
> Did you keep the ATI Radeon Card? And just added the Arctic cooler? I
> assume you removed the fan from the Radeon card? Where did you find info
> on the Arctic cooler (maybe I can take a look at it online?). I'm ready
> try anything!
> Charlie
>

>>Tom
>>"Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message

>>> I have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR Card.

> Charliec
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 7:20:02 AM

Charliec, I switched to a video card with no fan and my Dimension 4500 is
therefore quieter than before, but still the noisiest rattletrap I have
owned.

I say rattletrap because the round plastic inserts in the case aren't
secure, and buzz or resonate with vibration from the fans. The same is true
for the top of the case; often if I tap it with my fingernail, it will quiet
for a while. The case design, which still is used in current models, is
atrocious. Perhaps production methods have improved its implementation in
the last two years, perhaps not.

As for persons who say here, and elsewhere, their Dell Dimension is "whisper
quiet" - I have come to believe that 1) they have a hearing disability, or
2) the machines are in rooms with wall to wall carpets and heavy drapes on
the windows, or 3) this is their first computer - i.e. they never have owned
a quieter one. Perceived noise is subjective, but actual noise measured and
published by Dell shows their machines are progressively noisier as new
models are introduced.

Anyway, here's a link to a description the fastest good video card I can
find which fits the AGP slot in your machine and which also requires no fan
or other special cooling device. Because the temperature inside the case
may be affected by this card, it can cause the case or processor fan (the
one under the green shroud) to run faster, but that should still be less
noisy than a separate fan on the video card:

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?Part_Number=2...

and:

http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/n307.pdf

The above model is just like my card but with twice the memory (my card is
the same but with 128 MB of memory not 256 MB). Note the memory is 128 bit;
that is important as many of the FX5200 cards, including many other evga
brand cards, and including the ones Dell sold, have only 64 bit memory and
therefore don't perform as well.

You can confirm that it has no fan by writing to evga at Sales@eVGA.com
(illustrations are not always correct) like I did before I bought the
earlier version.

As you can see, I recommend nVidia over ATS; I have purchased and returned a
couple of ATS cards because they did not perform as advertised, and because
the latest drivers available from ATS at the time had conflicts or problems
with my other software and hardware. I have never had such problems with
nVidia drivers.

- Don

"Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message
> >"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>
>>Which is a REALLY loud card. I switched the fan for an Arctic cooler and
>>it
>>is much quieter, but it takes an extra slot.
>
> Did you keep the ATI Radeon Card? And just added the Arctic cooler? I
> assume you removed the fan from the Radeon card? Where did you find info
> on the Arctic cooler (maybe I can take a look at it online?). I'm ready
> try anything!
> Charlie
>

>>Tom
>>"Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message

>>> I have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR Card.

> Charliec
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 7:20:56 AM

Tom,
Was it the Arctic Cooler VGA Silencer that you went with? I'm looking at
their site and that appears to be the one for the ATI 9800 card? Was it
difficult to replace on the ATI Card? I might opt to do that and see if it
helps. If it doesn't will probably look at another card as you suggest.

Are you running the cooler on high or low?
Thanks
Charlie

>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>It replaces the fan on the ATI card. If you don't need a 9800Pro, then a
>lower-end, quieter card, might be a better solution.
>
>Don't remember where I bought it, but google should find it for you.
>
>Tom
>"Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message
>> >"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Which is a REALLY loud card. I switched the fan for an Arctic cooler and
>>>it
>>>is much quieter, but it takes an extra slot.
>>
>> Did you keep the ATI Radeon Card? And just added the Arctic cooler? I
>> assume you removed the fan from the Radeon card? Where did you find info
>> on the Arctic cooler (maybe I can take a look at it online?). I'm ready
>> try anything!
>> Charlie
>>

>>>Tom
>>>"Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message

>> ******************************************************
>> Charliec

Charliec
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 8:38:51 AM

Thanks for the info, Don.
Charlie

> [...]

>As you can see, I recommend nVidia over ATS; I have purchased and returned a
>couple of ATS cards because they did not perform as advertised, and because
>the latest drivers available from ATS at the time had conflicts or problems
>with my other software and hardware. I have never had such problems with
>nVidia drivers.
>
>- Don
>
>"Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message
>> >"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Which is a REALLY loud card. I switched the fan for an Arctic cooler and
>>>it
>>>is much quieter, but it takes an extra slot.
>>
>> Did you keep the ATI Radeon Card? And just added the Arctic cooler? I
>> assume you removed the fan from the Radeon card? Where did you find info
>> on the Arctic cooler (maybe I can take a look at it online?). I'm ready

Charliec
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 11:52:00 AM

> Charliec, I switched to a video card with no fan and my Dimension 4500 is
> therefore quieter than before, but still the noisiest rattletrap I have
> owned.
>
> I say rattletrap because the round plastic inserts in the case aren't
> secure, and buzz or resonate with vibration from the fans. The same is
> true for the top of the case; often if I tap it with my fingernail, it
> will quiet for a while. The case design, which still is used in current
> models, is atrocious. Perhaps production methods have improved its
> implementation in the last two years, perhaps not.

<snip>

Don,

Your observations about the plastics on the case "skin" are essentially
correct. The level of internal vibration/frequencies as well as the quality
of the fit of the external plastics seems to vary somewhat by machine. Like
you, the hinged 'features' of the case seem to be outweighed by issues such
as this.

The case design remains fundamentally unchanged since the inception of the
Dimension 4300.

Aside from my Latitude, all three of my Dell desktops are of the beige box/
PIII or PII variety - featuring a very solid Palo Alto designed case.

Stew
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 11:54:38 AM

> "Don Enderton" <Enderton@nosuchaddress.duh> wrote in message
>> Charliec, I switched to a video card with no fan and my Dimension 4500 is
>> therefore quieter than before, but still the noisiest rattletrap I have
>> owned.
>>
>> I say rattletrap because the round plastic inserts in the case aren't
>> secure, and buzz or resonate with vibration from the fans. The same is
>> true for the top of the case; often if I tap it with my fingernail, it
>> will quiet for a while. The case design, which still is used in current
>> models, is atrocious. Perhaps production methods have improved its
>> implementation in the last two years, perhaps not.
>>

> <snip>
>

> Don,
>
> Your observations about the plastics on the case "skin" are essentially
> correct. The level of internal vibration/frequencies as well as the
> quality of the fit of the external plastics seems to vary somewhat by
> machine. Like you, the hinged 'features' of the case seem to be outweighed
> by issues such as this.
>
> The case design remains fundamentally unchanged since the inception of the
> Dimension 4300.
>
> Aside from my Latitude, all three of my Dell desktops are of the beige
> box/ PIII or PII variety - featuring a very solid Palo Alto designed case.
>

> Stew

Pardon for an edit. Should read:

Like you, I believe the hinged 'features' of the case seem to be outweighed
by issues such
as this.

Stew
!